• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Help: Map size, speed, optimizing, zones

gunslingor

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
I have other threads on here discussing the 200+MB map I've been working on. I need to separate allot of the files out of mylevel into a separate package, I believe it will help performance, even development is getting slow. So, how do I change all my textures to separate packages? I assume I can do this without having to reassign textures right? But how? I have a lot of textures.

Also, none of my zones seem to be functioning properly. I can walk straight through my blocking volumes. I would like to figure out zones better, for optimizing and ambiance, any good tutorials out there?

I have other threads on here discussing the 200+MB map I've been working on. I need to separate allot of the files out of mylevel into a separate package, I believe it will help performance, even development is getting slow. So, how do I change all my textures to separate packages? I assume I can do this without having to reassign textures right? But how? I have a lot of textures.

Also, none of my zones seem to be functioning properly. I can walk straight through my blocking volumes. I would like to figure out zones better, for optimizing and ambiance, any good tutorials out there?

Rename all your crap into a diff package, it will automatically move them. (texture browser, right click, rename)

For Mesh you have to goto Edit, Rename

NOTE: you wont be able to save the packets cause it will say they are in use. SO exit the editor, and a window will pop up asking if you want to save. then click yes.

For optomizing i wrote a check list on all the optomizing things you can do. but also for bigger maps you have to lay the map out in ways for antiportals to cover crap.

EX: the map bends around a hillside, so you can have an anti in the hill. My newest mission map is reaching 250mgs and it in the shape of a C so its at optimum speed casue of the shape of the map and how i spereated each section of the map by buildings so they are zoned properly.

Checklist

Last edited:
Reactions: Gooblaster
Upvote 0
humm

humm

aproblem.jpg

Okay, what is going on here. half the items i rename with only new package names turn out black and white, faded, and blurred. Luckily i have backups, but what the heck is going on there?

Also, i tried exporting just the textures for my balcony. Everything seemed to export fine, then when i opened the map i got this.... what next?
aproblem2.jpg

aproblem3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, god this is complicated, i hate poorly written programs. I think I know what to do but it is complicated and I keep missing steps, 200+ textures and i've tried and failed to move them like 10 time... getting tiered of it. Here's what I think I need to do, we'll see if it works:

1. open KFSDK
2. open map
3. move cursor on map (you need to do this because the program will think there is no change to the map later and will not ask for save prior to program close, so you lose all associations on the map side of things).
4. select a texture, right click, ctrl+C (copy), ctrl+P (paste), ok.... repeat 200+ times.
5. close the texture editor, close the program. SAVE THE PROGRAM AND THE PACKAGE. when you save the package, be sure to put ".utx" on the end of the package file name. PACKAGE WILL FAIL TO SAVE AND YOU'LL LOSE IT ALL.

DAMMIT ALL TO HELLLlll!
It failed at this point. same error "package couldn't save, maybe the file is read only". It was a fresh package, how could it be read only. I'm screwed. I thought it might be the ".utx" that was the problem, I also thought it was the that I had a previous version in the texture folder, so I have been deleting it before trying. I'm starting to think it can only be done in segments, because I was able run through this process successfully with a small chunk of the textures... but I could have swarn I previously got all the textures out simultaneously before I figured out the steps below. Oh well, try again in 5 hours....unless someone has better instructions than the guy above?

NEXT
1. open KFSDK (NOT MAP!!!!)
2. open your saved package (NOT MAP!!!!-opening the map will remove all textures from the map)
3. Open map (YES MAP!!!!)
4. Move cursor on map so map knows it needs to save
5. close
6. save all, except default packages of course.

Now that I have it all written down, lets see if I can follow instructions without getting a single thing wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, i found a pattern that worked well for a while, successively moving 20-30 at a time. The first time I had to close to save but after that I could save both the package and the map without closing. Then after 5 iterations I got the same error, "sorry couldn't save, maybe the package is write protected." Every time I get this error, it DELETES the original package file from the texture folder; can you believe that, they warn for the purposes of protecting the file and then delete the dam thing.

It has to be size based right, is there a maximum size to these texture packages? Literally, every time this process fails I have to start all over because the texture package seems to like to delete itself. Or maybe I have one file somewhere in there that is messing it up? Help me!!! Help me!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird development. MyLevel has a texture group called Doors, used to hold door textures obviously. I moved everything out of MyLevel and into KF_PalaceTextures.utx. I have noticed in this process that I have to do move the doors in a certain order, sometimes i move them and they dont move they just stay in mylevel... whats up with that? when i do move them in a certain order they do disappear. but then I now have a copy in both packages which is wierd, I have repeated and i'm not pressing duplicate.

I just noticed it is a lot of different groups, not just doors that are duplicated. Why does rename sometimes duplicate.

ok now this is wierd, i just saved and now doors is gone from mylevel and others I moved like balconies are now BACK!! WTH is going on, AAAhahahahha!

Fl, you gave me stuff I already know. Your advice would be great for someone trying to move 1 or 2 textures, i'm trying to move hundreds. Thanks for trying.

Isn't there a freaking text file somewhere I can just search "myLevel" and replace with "KF_PalaceTextures"?

Someone, this problem should be easy to replicate. Create copies of a map w a lot of internal textures and try to move them to a new package.

Until then, I'll keep trying to save with the procedure above until all are gone. I am taking backups prior to each save.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fel, you gave me stuff I already know. Your advice would be great for someone trying to move 1 or 2 textures, i'm trying to move hundreds. Thanks for trying.

good luck getting any more help then. and dont spam me in PM please :mad:

That the only way to do it since you didnt start with a seprate packet....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me ask this, why is it that when i get the package i create open, then open the map, the mylevel "package" in the map now has a group called mylevel? i never created a mylevel group, it appears to be pointers to EVERYTHING left in mylevel after creating the separate package. Is it supposed to be like this? Was I trying to move that stuff, was that the problem? mylevel is soome kind of necessary pseudo something?

Reactions: Fel
Upvote 0
Let me ask this, why is it that when i get the package i create open, then open the map, the mylevel "package" in the map now has a group called mylevel? i never created a mylevel group, it appears to be pointers to EVERYTHING left in mylevel after creating the separate package. Is it supposed to be like this? Was I trying to move that stuff, was that the problem? mylevel is soome kind of necessary pseudo something?
Thats what is suposed to happen. It creats a MyLevel group, but its not a packet, its stored IN the map itself.

Upvote 0
I know mylevel is a pseudo package contained in the map itself and is actually part of the map. What i don't understand is why a mylevel group is created when I move textures from there to a new package.

Anyway, I have my map at like 50MB and my texture package at like 211MB and everything seems stable, slight increase in performance as well. There are still 5 textures in mylevel that I cannot get out, there's nothing special about them so I'm thinking size is what caused the biggest problem.

What happens is I rename one, go to the new package and try to save. it gives me the warning "package on disk ([num]) is smaller than the package in memory (-1). are you sure you want to save. As long as you say no and never save the map prior to successfully saving the package, you can just close out. But these last few won't move. Anyway, it isn't important, I have for the most part accomplished the goal.

Reactions: Fel
Upvote 0