• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PD Psychosis Gun

OCAdam

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Yet another weapon more suitable for a mod or mutator than the standard game. Not gonna be near as detailed as the Mk.2-M idea though. Honestly haven't been planning much on this, tis a random fun idea!

---

Name: Specimen Reformation Injector Model #12 (or SRI-M12 for short)
Weight: 2 blocks
Mag Capacity: 4
Max Ammo: 16

Cost: 50000 (1500 lvl6 Medic)
Sale Value: 37500 (1125 lvl6 Medic)
Mag Cost: 160
Refill Cost: 720

Primary: Inject
Secondary: Inject (x4 power)

---

Way it works: Primary can be used to inject and reform a single lower end specimen (in this case: Clot, Gorefast, Stalker, Crawler). What this does is turn that specimen to now attack OTHER specimens instead of your team. You can still kill this specimen like normal, but it'd be a waste of a new 'teammate' and the 40 pounds you just spent on reforming it.

Secondary is also an injector function, but it takes all of the 'mag' to use. This one can inject the higher end/generally larger specimens (in this case: Bloat, Siren, Scrake) EXCEPT the Fleshpound. Obviously the Patriarch cannot be reformed either. Don't waste it on a Clot! It DOES still work on low end specimens as well.

And yes, Medic perk weapon just because of the massive discounts on that perk's weapons.

IMO sounds awesome , altough it should be "Specimen Convertion" instead of reform , cause , I dunno, sounds cooler.

It would affect gameplay a lot , but if you convert ( Reform) an specimen in a HoE 6man game ( Or with ANY players , on solo would be the same , variating through difficulty) , it would be balanced that it had the %50 ,
%25 of the actual specimen health : Imagine a HoE 6man converted scrake , nothing would be able to kill him except of a crapload of hits of a Fleshpound!

Upvote 0
Although this has been suggested before, it wouldn't be very useful in the heat of combat. Think of it, when you are on HoE at wave 8 and you are in one of the really heated battles, No one is going to want a specimen to get up close enough to inject them, as that can be the end of the team.

And on top of that, when everyones shooting down a hallway or in a hectic battle where a fraction of a second determines who lives and who dies, I really doubt people are going to take the time to see which specimen is good or bad, and they will just blow everything away anyways.

Would be cool on mission maps, thats about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake74
Upvote 0
No thanks!

Lubaz wtf? Too many times I have seen you comment on threads with a bad attitude, offering no advice, constructive criticism or any helpful information. If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all.

Anyway, this sounds like a fun idea, but I agree with you, one for a mod, not a real game! And what about, rather than nerfing the specimen health, it was just a timer? Say, 12 seconds on beginner, 10 seconds on normal, 8 seconds on hard, 6 seconds on suicidal, 4 seconds on HoE.

And is it an injection like the syringe, or is it a dart like from the MP7?

Cheers

ljM

Upvote 0
Anyway, this sounds like a fun idea, but I agree with you, one for a mod, not a real game! And what about, rather than nerfing the specimen health, it was just a timer? Say, 12 seconds on beginner, 10 seconds on normal, 8 seconds on hard, 6 seconds on suicidal, 4 seconds on HoE.

Cheers

ljM

Sounds like another fun greylist mutator. But if there were to be a timer for how long the specimen turns "friendly" why not have the length variable depending on the medic's level? The medic should get some benefit besides a poor tax discount.

But "convert"? "Reform"? This isn't Age of Empires. It makes more sense imho to have the specimen "converted" just hallucinate so that it thinks that the specimens are the survivors and vice versa. Think about it. 4 fl. oz of ultra pure acid in one syringe. That scrake would be higher than Mr. Hendrix (R.I.P.)

also
Lubaz wtf? Too many times I have seen you comment on threads with a bad attitude, offering no advice, constructive criticism or any helpful information. If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all.
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lubaz
Upvote 0

Ignore Lubaz, you'll keep your sanity longer that way. He's just a troll who only once in a blue moon has something useful to input... somewhat.

Might work well with the higher end specs, but I think a timer on the low end ones would be a bit silly due to how much cannon fodder they are really. Might be interesting, though, to add with the end of timer for the Scrake to auto-rage.

Injection like the syringe. So yeah, tis a bit dangerous to be using.

Upvote 0
Just some ideas : Maybe it would be good if the lenght of the effect would vary according to the kind of specimen (shorter on harder specimen ofc) and be proportional to the amount ammo you manage to inject, which would require to stay closer for a longer period of injection if you want it to last for long.

So if you do it that way, the gameplay of the medic would be changed to much (but it would be tons of fun), because you could follow reformed zeds and "reload" them gradually while they charge other specimen.

Anyway that's something I'll want to play, no matter how you implement the details.

Upvote 0
I've had this idea before and spent quite some time fooling around with the code, but so far I had no luck in making ZEDs fight for me.

Interesting note though: In the KFMonster source or somewhere around that area the code mentions a "zed control device" with comments talking about zeds getting more health, becoming faster etc while under the effect of this device. Seems to be some code pointing to a weapon that was tested before the release but scrapped (Or maybe this is something left over from the original KF mod? I never played that). From what I gathered you would use the gun on zeds to put them under your control, increasing their stats, and then control them by setting beacons where they would travel to.

As I said I tried to make something like this before. More as a joke weapon, like one of those spinning circle things on a stick you'd see characters in cartoons use to put other characters under hypnosis. Would be cool to be able to get a few clots to stall a FP for a few seconds so you can manage to escape.

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Hah, awesome use of that image. There's no need to even make a new model for this little thing, just recode the Syringe to do the stuff I mentioned already.

I just thought it'd be kinda funny to see a Scrake or two stalling an FP while you kill the FP (or all 3!). Seems the crazier ideas are better received... I might need to look some more into these kinds of things. Still... wonder who at Rare first thought of the Psychosis Gun...

Upvote 0
Hah, awesome use of that image. There's no need to even make a new model for this little thing, just recode the Syringe to do the stuff I mentioned already.

I just thought it'd be kinda funny to see a Scrake or two stalling an FP while you kill the FP (or all 3!). Seems the crazier ideas are better received... I might need to look some more into these kinds of things. Still... wonder who at Rare first thought of the Psychosis Gun...

And yet 3 tosspots didn't like it.

You cannot please losers here.

Upvote 0
I've had this idea before and spent quite some time fooling around with the code, but so far I had no luck in making ZEDs fight for me.

Interesting note though: In the KFMonster source or somewhere around that area the code mentions a "zed control device" with comments talking about zeds getting more health, becoming faster etc while under the effect of this device. Seems to be some code pointing to a weapon that was tested before the release but scrapped (Or maybe this is something left over from the original KF mod? I never played that). From what I gathered you would use the gun on zeds to put them under your control, increasing their stats, and then control them by setting beacons where they would travel to...

Sort of sounds like something derived from Unreal Tournament 2003/2004's Adrenaline combos. (Booster, Speed, etc.)

I've come across some epic battles among Fleshpounds, Scrakes and Bloats every once in awhile. I'm not sure how or why they started, but I sure wasn't inclined to interfere. The Bloat proved to be a lot hardier critter than I would have imagined in these rumbles.

Two thoughts on this item under discussion. How about instead of an injection, a flask of serum is thrown instead? Gives you a bit of range, but, for balance, it might miss it's intended target, or miss completely. Of course, Ms. Straightjacket would be her usual buzz-killing self.

And, instead of the affected zed attacking it's brethren, how about it instead appears as a survivor? If you could tag an isolated specimen, and make it look a pizza to the others, maybe you could misdirect the crowd long enough to regroup, reload and/or retreat. Maybe not...

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
just gonna throw these snippets from KFMonster.uc into the thread. They are the ones mentioned in my post above.

Code:
var         bool                bZedUnderControl;       // The zed is under the control of the zed control device
var         int                 NumZCDHits;             // How many times has this zed been hit with the ZCD Device

// This zed has been taken control of. Boost its health and speed
function SetMindControlled(bool bNewMindControlled)
{
    if( bNewMindControlled )
    {
        NumZCDHits++;

if( bNewMindControlled != bZedUnderControl )
        {
            GroundSpeed = OriginalGroundSpeed * 1.25;
            Health *= 1.25;
            HealthMax *= 1.25;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        NumZCDHits=0;
    }

bZedUnderControl = bNewMindControlled;
}