Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenza View Post
Nope, its a swedish volunteer in Finland
Quote:
Swedish m/96 Mauser, a not too subtle hint that its not a finn in that pic
You're correct about the rifle being Swedish, but as it's been said in this thread already, it's Simo Hayha, a Finnish sharphooter who holds the record for the highest number of confirmed kills by a single person.

It's figured that they just handed him a rifle to pose for that photo, and I guess they had a Swedish Mauser lying around...

www.24Pz.org - Obergefreiter Dieter Kästner

Last edited by I Faw Down; 07-05-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Faw Down View Post
You're correct about the rifle being Swedish, but as it's been said in this thread already, it's Simo Hayha, a Finnish sharphooter who holds the record for the highest number of confirmed kills by a single person.

It's figured that they just handed him a rifle to pose for that photo, and I guess they had a Swedish Mauser lying around...
Aargh...Like stated earlier (by me also) that guy has absolutely nothing to do with Häyhä. Why won't you just believe it? Seriously.

It's just some random Swedish Winter War volunteer.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Finns got every weapon they could get.

Join the 10th NKVD!
http://10nkvd.forumotion.co.uk/
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
Too bad everyone is going to get one, though.

I hope it won;t end up with everybody being a quasi sniper with one weapon or another.

Not everyone will have one.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear. How do you know?
It was said somewhere on the forums that these weapons will be rare. So we can assume they will be hero weapons. Which means 1 per match for 1 avatar.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWarrior View Post
Finns got every weapon they could get.
Sure, allthough logistics of ammo suply ment that M96 were quite scarce in Finnish hands. And anyways Häyhä ever used only his own m/28-30. Even for posing, which he did not do anyways. End of story.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I hope so.

Still though, I wonder if whether enough unique weapons will get scopes to achieve the same effect as my previous scenario though.

I would really hate that
I don't really get your sentence... but I afaik the snipers and the Mkb42 are the only weapons confirmed to have a scope.

Also since Mkb42 is one per map and snipers mostly also. Not many scopes to worry about.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Can someone please post these pics on imageshack or something. Some can not view the website while behind some firewalls.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, he had been given mauser with scope by some swedish businessman (by his own words) but he preffered scopeless mosin nagant. This probably doesn't mean that guy is him, though.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Rising Storm Team

And how could u even think TWI - i mean seriously otherwise its just plain trolling all the way - has erased this from its game ?
The sequel of the game that made their name ?

Do you seriously think they would let everyone run around with a Mkb42 scoped silenced and painted with pink skulls on it ? - i can troll too :P

Just use your common sense a bit here, and actually, read what DEVS are answering u guyz on these boards. When Wilsonam says this will be RARE as it was back then, then it WILL BE RARE - even off via server settings if it bothers u that much, choice has always been a good thing.

They love their game and wouldn't destroy its heart for anything. They are working hard on it - years… - to make the best ouf of it for us.
Trust.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM

Its impossible to have a "realistic" class composition with limited spots for a game set in Stalingrad as weapons were picked up and used by both sides.

Sure everything looks good on paper with statistics and all but if youre fighting in the streets would you rather use a moisin or an mp-40 picked up from a fresh german corpse that still has ammunition with it?

Troops that arrived over the river or reinforced the germans from the supply lines probably had a specific loadout, but once youre in the city you have the opportunity to loot and scavenge weaponry better suited for your needs.

Edit: posted too early, I was going to say that TWI announced that the Mkb42 wasnt very accurate, and most people probably wouldnt use the scope in close combat maps since iron sights are soooo much more preferable

Last edited by Direct; 07-06-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 AM

And by showing these rare weapons in promotional screenshots, it colours people's (sometimes limited) perception of the game and what it will be like.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
And by showing these rare weapons in promotional screenshots, it colours people's (sometimes limited) perception of the game and what it will be like.
I will kiss the *** of Tripwire (my favorite game company, along with Valve and Paradox Interactive) while at the same time saying politely: We've seen enough MkB42s! The weapon looks fantastic and I look forward to using it...but show off more of the stock stuff! Not saying that there hasn't been plenty of media covering the well known gear, and I understand the utility of showing off the more fun and cool features like rare weapons etc. I'm only concerned (and not alone in this) that the game is being portrayed out there in a way that suggests the rare weapons will be common etc. It would be nice to see more specific details about the Hero/rare kit system, so that us realism heads know what to expect as far as limitations on this equipment is concerned. Not saying that I'm privileged or entitled to such details, and I have been patient and grateful for every bit of media so far. I am as hyped about release as anyone, believe it!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -[SiN]-bswearer View Post
Gatling guns were rare during the American Civil War......so that makes it ok to let the Union forces have one (but just one ) on the Gettysburg map just because you know, it'll be as rare as it was back then. /sarcasm
Too bad about the sarcasm, wanted to answer with a 'hell yes!'
TWI doesn't go for pure historical accuracy, so yeah that would be ok.

@ felix
I agree that they do show relatively much media (the screens) about the new weapons and I love to see the bolts and such more. However it is their choice of marketing (not aimed at us, the ones who get the game anyway).
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Ostheim View Post
I will kiss the *** of Tripwire (my favorite game company, along with Valve and Paradox Interactive) while at the same time saying politely: We've seen enough MkB42s! The weapon looks fantastic and I look forward to using it...but show off more of the stock stuff!...
This says alot. Its nice to see promo shots as we move up towards the release date, but man would it be nice to see less special weapons and more stock footage (for lack of better wording).

Its as if all the special items are getting more promotion and it seems even some of us diehards are starting to crack and worry a bit.