Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Gibby View Post
Ooh, interesting stuff. It would be cool if TWI could see about doing something in-game that nods to this, but I guess it's a bit too late in development for that. But of course, there are soldiers that carry an extra drum mag instead though, right? But the mags are pretty large, so they end up taking up a lot of space on their backs, I imagine...
Has been suggested before, so maybe it is in the game after all

edit: Should have quoted NightriderAOF of course, sorry mate.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Ostmann View Post
There were a few thousand prototypes of the MG34/41 that had the stronger buffer spring prevalent with the MG42.

There were MG34/41's in Stalingrad IIRC, so theoretically, you could have both in the game. The MG34/41 would feel, act, and shoot like the MG42, but it just would look more like the MG34.
There were regular MG42's in stalingrad too, according to that report above.

Admit it, you know you want one.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Bringing this thread back up to avoid spam.

So what's the final word on this? Does anyone think we will be seeing the MG42 in RO2 at all? I'd hope it at least gets added in later on for an "Elite Machinegunner" role or something.

Leaving it out just seems wrong.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 PM

Hmmm... well if there was an Elite Machine-gunner role what would the Russians have?

Maybe a wheeled Maxim with the gun shield and the larger water jacket cover allowing for insertion of snow for cooling?

Classic forever.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
Hmmm... well if there was an Elite Machine-gunner role what would the Russians have?
This would rock my socks off:

DShK 12.7 mm heavy machine gun.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseed View Post

As far as I know, Stalingrad was before this hit the field.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Only if I'm allowed to dual wield it.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 AM

okay really tbh here i would bet that the reason the mg42 isn't in the game is because of time constraints. it will probably be put in later free dlc though i won't speak for them but, that is my best guess.

also while im surprised the mg42 isn't in game to start with. im also not as they had to delay the game already and aren't done with it yet.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Realism>Balance

Some will fall and some will live
Will you stand up and take your chance?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Ostmann View Post
As far as I know, Stalingrad was before this hit the field.
You are mistaken. It was around even before the war started and was very much in use during Stalingrad.

Here's a pic, this one is on an AA mount though: http://www.ww2incolor.com/soviet-union/DMG_227%23.html
Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
You are mistaken. It was around even before the war started and was very much in use during Stalingrad.

Here's a pic, this one is on an AA mount though: http://www.ww2incolor.com/soviet-union/DMG_227%23.html
Ah, yes, you are right. I was confusing it with the SG-43. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM

DSHK would be incredible overkill. It's basically a russian M2.

People would be crying that it shoots through walls and two men beyond that.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightriderAOF View Post
I think I remember reading somewhere that during Stalingrad at least, it was common to go into combat with one 71 round drum mag in your PPsH with and carry stick mags. The logic being you have more ammo before your first reload, you could carry more magazines, and the drum mag(like most drum mags) wasn't nearly as reliable as the stick magazine. Just a tidbit of info I thought I would throw out there.
I understand the hatred for dice rolls in a skill based game. But luck happens to be a major factor during battle.

During airsoft games I remember the players that used high-capacity clips (200+ bb's) often encountered weapon jams because the clips where not as reliabale as the low-capacity clips (30-50 bbs).

This resulted in me getting some offical 'melee' kills during league games.
I learned to love the sound of a dry-firing gun...

I am, I will- So no longer will I Lay down, play dead,
Play this - Kneel down - Gun-shy martyr, pitiful
I rose, I roared, I will, I am
Old 08-21-2011, 03:26 AM

That would suck if it wasn't in. Escpecially, as someone stated earlier, because the Mkbwhatever is in the game. And I remember reading articles about how on the defense squads were trained to operate around their mg42 like football players operate around their quarterback. And I am pretty sure I also read something about two man mg42 teams that would be used to clear buildings by spraying through the walls and floors as they passed through.

I don't think time constraints would have anything to do with it not being in the game. Meh hopefully they do give it as free dlc, but it seems to me like a key weapon in the german arsenal. Heck when you think german, you think mg42. And how most modern mg's are modeled after it in some way.

Edit: ^ And it wouldn't make a dry fire sound like an airsoft . The gas from the shell in the chamber is used to make way for the next round, and drag it up into the chamber. That would be cool though as machine guns would have been invented alot earlier. Mg's on pirate ships.

Last edited by TheDude101; 08-21-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Glorious IS-2 Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude101 View Post
And I remember reading articles about how on the defense squads were trained to operate around their mg42 like football players operate around their quarterback. And I am pretty sure I also read something about two man mg42 teams that would be used to clear buildings by spraying through the walls and floors as they passed through.
It wasn't exclusive to MG42 considering the general squad structure and their training and basic tactical employement did not see that much change since mid 30s. Additional stuff that was added sooner or later still would apply to 34, as ignoring stuff that has barely influence in-game (reliability, production levels and stuff etc etc etc etc etc) there's pretty minimal (practical) difference between MG34 and 42 when it comes to general use as a machinegun for killing people in war + as obvious and obnoxious as this sounds 34 still saw use until the end of the war even in infantry use.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Think RO2 will slowly expand and add more than just stalingrad into it with kursk and such would be nice but as they said it takes 3 months to make a Tank not sure how much for a rifle/smg/mg but would be nice with DLCs slowly expanding the timeline from 42-43(Early) Stalingrad then DLC giving 42-44/45 etc
{Been rolling with Red Orchestra since 15 Mar 2006}
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reise View Post
DSHK would be incredible overkill. It's basically a russian M2.

People would be crying that it shoots through walls and two men beyond that.
Well, they had it, so why not add it? Ofcourse you could at the same time add a light German FlaK piece to even things up a bit, as long as both weapons behave as they should.

Also keep in mind that the DSHK is an extremely heavy weapon, and needs to be rolled around on a wheel carriage, presenting quite a target, esp. for a well placed grenade.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Just saw Apocalypse, it was about the battle of stalingrad and I saw someone using the MG 42
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unus Offa, Unus Nex View Post
Well, they had it, so why not add it? Ofcourse you could at the same time add a light German FlaK piece to even things up a bit, as long as both weapons behave as they should.

Also keep in mind that the DSHK is an extremely heavy weapon, and needs to be rolled around on a wheel carriage, presenting quite a target, esp. for a well placed grenade.
While the idea seems a good one, the whole 'wheel carriage' thing may prove too complex; I'm also not sure I'd trust about 90% of the players I've seen ingame with a wheeled anything, much less a DShK on a carriage, and at the end of the day I don't think it would really add a whole lot to the game. The MG42, on the other hand, would be interesting to see, along with an infantry-adapted DT-28 for the Soviets (a common modification).

As for balance issues, the teams tend to balance each other out. The Soviets have far a superior submachine gun and a better semiautomatic rifle (on paper at least), the Germans have better MG firepower. At longer ranges the Germans have the upper hand, switching to the Soviets as the fight moves indoors or into narrow streets. As long as the map itself isn't heavily skewed, both teams have their turn at dominating the other.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM

Well why not add a dt-28 as the soviet special mg if we are so obsessed with tit for tat loadouts?