• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question about the healing mechanic

polish-jack

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 3, 2011
I was wondering how the healing mechanic works in KF. If player A heals player B twice, does the healing time increase or does the heal timer reset?

If player A and player B heal player C, does the healing from player A override healing from player B or do they stack? If they stack, does the healing amount increase per second or does the healing happen in order?

Tl;Dr: Is there any benefit to heal double tapping? Is there any benefit two people healing one person?

Healing someone more than once doesn't make them heal any faster, but it does increase the total amount of healing they will receive. Similarly, the Field Medic's healing bonus doesn't make his healing faster, just more plentiful. If the target player already has enough healing in reserve to eventually bring him to full health, you won't be able to heal him any more.

Upvote 0
This is one of the general reasons why medic perk is useless in most circumstances

When a Medic throws himself infront of you to distract that enraged fleshpound from turning you into a shepherd pie, I think you may view the perk a little differently ;)

EDIT: and shepherds pie! How British can you get! :D

Reactions: Gartley and Spicy
Upvote 0
When a Medic throws himself infront of you to distract that enraged fleshpound from turning you into a shepherd pie, I think you may view the perk a little differently

Usually Medic is supposed to block FP due to lack of firepower, which he can't provide. With an optimal team loadout on most maps there is no need in blocking medic, because Fleshpounds should die before reaching any player. We won all HoE maps without a medic in the team, excepting IceBreaker, Crash and Suburbia. And only in IceBreaker and Crash medic was used as a blocker, while Suburbia was won by 4 zerkers + 2 medics roaming around the map.
Due to constant healing rate for all perks, SS or commando with medic guns can provide the same quality healing as medic could, but in the same without loosing any firepower.

Upvote 0
Usually Medic is supposed to block FP due to lack of firepower, which he can't provide.

Don't you mean a godly armor bonus?

With an optimal team loadout on most maps there is no need in blocking medic, because Fleshpounds should die before reaching any player.

I would ask you to define 'optimal' but I'm not sure the forum could survive the ensuring flame war. And what about the suprise attack or curve ball KF likes to throw you.

Due to constant healing rate for all perks, SS or commando with medic guns can provide the same quality healing as medic could, but in the same without loosing any firepower.

It wouldn't be the same quality, due to the fact the medic can heal more for less.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
Don't you mean a godly armor bonus?
Nope. Medic's presence (as an additional player) increases zed count and health, but does not give any significant firepower. So other team members are supposed to shoot more, and it takes a longer time. Time for specimens to come closer, time to do extra damage or even to kill a team member. So generally medic's presence is the main reason why team needs additional healing and blocking. No medic = zeds can be killed faster = they do less potential damage. Of course, in some situations full potential of 6 player firepower can't be reached (e.g. chosen spot has too narrow or too short hallway to be able to all 6p simultaneously shoot their corresponding targets), then - yes, medic can be useful.

I would ask you to define 'optimal' but I'm not sure the forum could survive the ensuring flame war.
Optimal team loadout depends on the map and player specifics. KF's greatness is that you can win a game with different perk combinations.

And what about the suprise attack or curve ball KF likes to throw you.
What can I say... **** happens ;) One time we got 3 or 4 Husks behind 3 Fleshpounds on long hallway of "L"-shape room in Bedlam. And ridiculous thing is that FP while doing rage-start animation still can side-jump from Husk's canon ball. Btw, 3 Sirens following Fleshpound usually kill blocking Medic.

It wouldn't be the same quality, due to the fact the medic can heal more for less.
There's a trick. Make 2 healing shots from Medic Gun, drop it on the ground, take it back, and it will have 100% syringe. Need some practice to do it quick, but when you have learned, you can heal entire team in a couple of seconds without a need to be medic.

Upvote 0
the medic, in its most basic form, is insurance. It can block FPs, and is good for salvaging situations and/or saving lives. In theory a team with perfect aim, perfect circumstances, perfect luck, and perfect internet should be able to nuetralize all threats before people get hurt. But that is extremely rare, and if you have a medic than you shouldn't have to; you can be saved. And as an added bonus, medics can usually take a good number down when armed correctly, and assist in killing, with surprising effectiveness. Now, you won't see a medic bringing down FPs, but otherwise...

also, that thing you found. Its called a glitch...or, in forum terms, and exploit. Now saying that a perk is useless based on that is like saying that due to map exploits on all existing maps, I should be able to say all perks are useless but those most effective at using exploits.

Upvote 0
There's a trick. ------- Need some practice to do it quick, but when you have learned, you can heal entire team in a couple of seconds without a need to be medic.

In the time that a player is doing that they are not firing downrange, thus negating any plus, even a medic with a LAR, XBOW or even her MP7 is making a difference at this point. + exploit, so no.

I think you must be one of the very few that hasn't been in a situation where the medic has prevented a wipe. Just in my experiance with my friends who I play with most the time and have our teamwork down, there have been times where nothing has gotten close, even in wave 9/10 the team has left the medic with no healing to do. On the other hand though, it's been the medic thats saved the day. By blocking and then healing the others as they continue to fire to push back the line.

...yes, medic can be useful.
...you can win a game with different perk combinations.

My biggest gripe was that you orginally dismissed the medic perk off hand but have since recognised that they are just as valid. And like the other perks have their place. So I'm happy with that.

Upvote 0
About dropping a medic gun: I wouldn't call it an exploit. At least it is not bigger exploit than kitting Fleshpounds, for example. It requires some time to practice and it is not so easy to master. Even it this "trick" will be fixed, you'll still be able to buy some additional medic guns, place them around you and take it one after another while previous syringes are reloading.

One more thing: actually I like play as medic. Some time ago I was recently choosing this perk and for a significant time was rejecting what my friends were saying - exactly the same I'm now saying here - a good team doesn't need a medic. Just need to take a good spot, teamwork and a little bit of luck. And without the last one even medic can't save you ;)

Upvote 0