• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do game devs like TWI still "enjoy" games the way non-devs do?

WinTurkey

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2011
I've been wondering this for a while, really a question for Tripwire staff, though anyone with any involvement in the game industry could probably answer.

Since you/they work full-time and professionally as game developers who spend their work-day making games, is gaming still a hobby in the traditional sense of the word for you/them?
Do people who do that for a living come home after work and say "gee, I sure am tired from fixing Game X all day, think I'll fire up game Y to blow off steam", or does spending so much time "backstage" around games result in you/them no longer viewing games the way we consumers view games, and instead judge them from a professional standpoint, thus possibly no longer being able to enjoy them? When a new game is announced, are you still intrigued or hyped for it, or is it now a case of worrying how it will affect the demographic?

I don't want to suggest that game devs no longer have an interest in gaming, I'm sure that's not the case, I'm just wondering if making games for a living means you no longer perceive them as the entertainment medium they're supposed to be perceived as.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Of course I love playing games, particularly playing games that are "past their prime" that are on sale on Steam. Nothing better than picking up a game with a metacritic score over 80 for $5 =)

Recently I got Dawn of War and Dawn of War II with all of their expansions including Retribution for $60. Probably the best purchase I've made in the past year. Unfortunately, though, I've got severe time constraints that have caused me to amass over 40 games that were on sale that I have not yet played(some bought 2 or more years ago). I will get around to them all, but I wish days were longer sometimes ;)

Upvote 0
I'm sure you have nothing on the Putz or Guppy :p

Putzie - best sniper evah.

94060dfd.jpg

(only response I could muster)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find that I'm actually much more critical of alot of games now. This is both good, and bad.

Alot of that comes down to 'Oh now I can see how they cut some corners here' or 'if they took an extra bit of time to polish up this, it would have been better', less so on the gfx elements and so on.
That said, when I also find I have a much greater appreciation for developers and games that get things correct, use neat tricks that are well done, or have actual innovation.

For me it's just more of how my personality works, and the above doesn't just apply to games/developers. I guess the saying goes 'ignorance is bliss'.. unfortunately I dislike ignorance, so I'm doomed to be non-blissful :]

Upvote 0
I find that I'm actually much more critical of alot of games now. This is both good, and bad.

Alot of that comes down to 'Oh now I can see how they cut some corners here' or 'if they took an extra bit of time to polish up this, it would have been better', less so on the gfx elements and so on.
That said, when I also find I have a much greater appreciation for developers and games that get things correct, use neat tricks that are well done, or have actual innovation.

For me it's just more of how my personality works, and the above doesn't just apply to games/developers. I guess the saying goes 'ignorance is bliss'.. unfortunately I dislike ignorance, so I'm doomed to be non-blissful :]

This, except that I usually bash my head against the wall when ignorant people criticize games based on their own ***-sumptions. :|

Upvote 0