• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Momentum mechanics?

wahoo4

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2010
NE, USA
Hey, I've been thinking about how to make RO2 more realistic without going over board. There seems to be a fine line, and one could over do it for sure.

What about this though, having stronger momentum mechanics. When you sprint you don't come to a insta-stop. This could be interesting when sprint timing to corners, to cover and bashing. Maybe a variable run speed. It could cost almost instant stamina loss. I play Star Craft 2 and there is a lot of button mashing. How about the faster you hit your "W" button the faster you can run for very short sprint burst? If that makes any sense? It would really make you think about how you want to spend your stamina. Maybe the recovery is longer or something. This could be done very easy I think without the cost of a prolonged release date. lol What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Funny that this suggestion comes from you. :)

While I agree that it would be a neat thing to have, the game would also catch a LOT of flak due to this. Hordes of people will complain about the movement lag etc.

EDIT: To clarify, I thought that the OP wanted more momentum than RO:Ost had, and this certainly would make most "casual" gamers scream in terror.

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoo4
Upvote 0
Funny that this suggestion comes from you. :)

While I agree that it would be a neat thing to have, the game would also catch a LOT of flak due to this. Hordes of people will complain about the movement lag etc.

Funny coming from me? lol ;) Well, I thought with the newer engine ping would not be an issue. Here's something 10-78 clan posted about ping in RO2. [URL]http://www.10-78.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26064[/URL] It would appear ping or lag won't be an issue. People may need to consider their video card and packet loss. Sometimes it a matter of setting the right console tweak for maxpackets in other games.

I think it's something that could not be over done, perhaps they could test some average start/stop speeds and etc. Just a thought, but that would put some real tactics into how you choose to use stamina. Close combat is where it would get interesting and require skill. I would love it. :D Call it an adrenaline dump, but I would love to use it for quick sprint, dive into cover, prone roll and shoot a peep coming at you. lol There are a number of ways this could be useful and it would feel more like real movement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I agree sprinting should build up momentum, and stopping abruptly (no keyboard input at all from movement keys right after sprinting) should occur over a short distance (ex.: half a meter to a meter) and a short amount of time (ex.:1 to 2 seconds).

And when you simply stop sprinting but keep moving (releasing sprint key while still holding down movement key(s)), a gradual decrease in speed (ex.: over 1 to 2 seconds) would be sweet.

As for movement lag issues, it could be avoided by making it feel like your avatar is really trying to stop as fast as possible, as opposed to jogging merrily to a stop.

my 2

Upvote 0
Yeah, I notice some in RO1, that's why I said stronger MM. RO1 is fine for start/stop, but what I really would like in terms of how one could sprint faster than normal when you had an adrenaline dump. This is where you would smash on your W button for a short burst of sprint. This would be great for getting to cover at the expense of stamina.

Upvote 0
Too much momentum can make it feel too much like a loss of control. Dynamics in a system mean time delays. And systems with a time delay are harder to control. So its about finding an optional amount, I think that adding more inertia would put off a lot of people and make the game feel unnatural.

Oh I agree 100%, RO1 momentum is perfect so no need to mess with it. I'm leaning for is a adrenaline burst at the cost of stamina.

Upvote 0