• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Ideas for new map]

slavek

Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2006
UnrealEd: Viewport #1
I am currently working on the The Reaver and a pack of space maps with a horror survival theme. My other story map project is still coming along but I want to put it on hold for now(Space project is much more fun to work on and has more potential).

I want to get the most out of this theme and was thinking of some custom content to add in to enhance the atmosphere. Others are welcome to throw in ideas too.

Ideas:
1.Glowsticks. Glowsticks will replace the players grenade quick throw inventory. Grenades can be made into a separate weapon if they are still needed. They will allow for lighting in dark areas. Players can also use them to make "Breadcrumb Paths" so others won't get lost.

2.How to scare players/Increase suspense:
1. Darkness: People are afraid of the dark because it could be hiding danger or because what may or may not be there. Triggered sounds enhance the effect.
2. Separation: People feel safe when they are in a group with others. Have events where the group are forcibly separated and must continue along a path to regroup and finish objectives. Lone players will not face impossible to beat threats but the feeling of being alone in the dark and having no way to go but forward will build tension.
3. Less ammunition: Simply put, when your machine gun or rocket launcher is out of ammo, you don't feel so nigh invincible anymore when you are stuck with a pistol and a knife. Use ammo wisely.