• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poundamonium Mutator

garden gnome

Oct 12, 2009
Why is it you folks have disabled perk progression on FP mutator servers?. The many I have visited, played on have been very popular even with level 6 players. Do you actually research the popularity of certain mutators and perk progression before you de whitelist them? I am a server operator that is on your mailing list and I wonder if your intention is to kill the already struggling Killing floor game. Whats the big deal if a player wants to level up when learning the game?, Do you realize how long it still takes to level up on a all fp server?, or is there another exploit that you are just too lazy to fix. Its too bad you dont let this game flourish like quake like halflife.

Okay, I'll take a stab at this one.

The many I have visited, played on have been very popular even with level 6 players.

Level 6 players won't care about level progression

Whats the big deal if a player wants to level up when learning the game?

Learn the game on a Poundamonium server... right...

The fleshpound is one of the highest health specimens in the game, and is typically used by people to level up their demolition perk using maps that are well built to bunch fleshpounds together on pipebombs.

The reason they are so popular is the same reason maps like Doom 2 were popular. People can cheat their way up to higher levels by exploiting. Its like getting item drops in TF2 by idling, your getting an unfair advantage by using exploits over players who play the game legit. No one with any sense argued with Vlave when they took the stance that idlers were cheaters.

TWI and KEPT make sure maps aren't made to give players this unfair advantage, but we found alot of maps were being dewhitelisted because using these mutators made them alot easier to exploit. This isn't fair on genuine mappers who worked hard to make their map exploit free and would have recieved a pass otherwise...

If I were to be blunt (and this is unlike me as I usually don't go on the offensive) but I wouldn't be surprised if the entire reason you are complaining is because traffic in your server is going down because people can no longer use it to grind their levels unfairly.

So yes the poundamonium mutator is dewhitelisted, and no it won't ever be put back on the whitelist.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll take a stab at this one.

Level 6 players won't care about level progression
Uhm if you read it properly..Its stated " The many I have visited, played on have been "very popular even with level 6 players". When the price for the game was cut in half via steam an influx of new players were actually playing on Flesh pound servers. "What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger". Anyways congrats on having your head in the clouds. Not only with this, but also the lack of releasing updates. You can say its player base driven, and you are absolutely correct. You dont give the people any extras or customization, choices, you wont have a player base. Go ahead and release Killing floor 2.
Undedd Jester said:
If I were to be blunt (and this is unlike me as I usually don't go on the offensive) but I wouldn't be surprised if the entire reason you are complaining is because traffic in your server is going down because people can no longer use it to grind their levels unfairly.
1 six man leveling server and a 30 man non perk server? Im worried about a six man server? Im being blunt by saying let someone else respond with more then 6 months experience in the gaming industry.

Reactions: mamoo and YoYoBatty
Upvote 0
Do you realize how long it still takes to level up on a all fp server?
are you kidding me?
you do know that they patched the lvl requirements to be lower because nubs were complaining it was too hard right?

Do you have any idea how long it was to level up without cheap exploits before they lowered the requirements?

I managed lvl6 stats before that patch and all i have to say is be thankful

Upvote 0
are you kidding me?
you do know that they patched the lvl requirements to be lower because nubs were complaining it was too hard right?

Do you have any idea how long it was to level up without cheap exploits before they lowered the requirements?

I managed lvl6 stats before that patch and all i have to say is be thankful

When I was your age we had to walk 15 miles uphill both ways in the snow with only a bullpup!

Also I'd really like to know how sitting in one spot blowing up FPs with the M32 is considered "learning the game."

Upvote 0
Its like getting item drops in TF2 by idling, your getting an unfair advantage by using exploits over players who play the game legit. No one with any sense argued with Vlave when they took the stance that idlers were cheaters.
Wrong. Idlers != cheaters.
What was punished was the use of a third party program, not the idling itself.
And yes, a lot of people argued with it because it took valve months before saying anything about it.

As for the mutator, I leveled demo/firebug/support with it on Swamp.
Normally this would be bad but I already had a good knowledge of the game to back me up.
I'm glad it got blacklisted though.

Upvote 0
Wrong. Idlers != cheaters.
What was punished was the use of a third party program, not the idling itself.
And yes, a lot of people argued with it because it took valve months before saying anything about it.

For not so long ago you are right, although recently they have altered their stance and consider all idling as cheating, which is why there is now a cap on how many items you can gain per week. Now players can't get more than maybe 10 a week if they are constantly playing (although if you didn't play much in previous weeks it does carry over.)

When the price for the game was cut in half via steam an influx of new players were actually playing on Flesh pound servers.

Fighting on a Fleshpound server should be all about the experience, not to grind levels, which is exactly what it is now. Players can still play the mutator if they are iterested in the challenge.

"What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger".

And what does kill you makes you dead. Killing Floor has a pretty steap learning curb, and new low level players will find it next to impossible beating Fleshpounds for a long time in 6 man games unless they use exploits/have serious assistance from much higher level perks, which is still akin to grinding.

Anyways congrats on having your head in the clouds. Not only with this, but also the lack of releasing updates. You can say its player base driven, and you are absolutely correct. You dont give the people any extras or customization, choices, you wont have a player base. Go ahead and release Killing floor 2.

There is a dedicated mod community with plenty of extra content to explore, and it has already been announced that another content update is coming. Killing Floor's main appeal isn't its level up system, that just gives players something to aim for. Killing Floor is about playing together and surviving against a common powerful enemy. Something you can do easily with or without whitelisted mutators.

1 six man leveling server and a 30 man non perk server? Im worried about a six man server? Im being blunt by saying let someone else respond with more then 6 months experience in the gaming industry.

Oh so you openly admit it was a levelling server? I rest my case

I wasn't going to respond, but what the hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a lame argument. All of the mutators were meant to be fun little tweaks that were supposed to be for fun but were leveling perks easier. Good thing they're gone. Bloat ed was great damage, so was poundamonium, and clot buster was good for SS to grind headshots. Now if you want to have fun, sure play on poundamonium or whatnot, you're just not going to get any cheap exp out of it.

That's why you only see lvl 6 people on these servers because they could care less if they're getting experience. I long for the day that i can be 6 everything so i can just play every map i want without having to worry wether it's whitelisted.

Personally, i wish that all maps that were whitelisted would show up in some different color, like yellow, so you know what you're voting for on the map vote screen as nobody can memorize them all.

Upvote 0
Theres only 4 things the Poundamonium Mutator is useful for.

1. Pound This! achievement whoring.
2. Demolitions damage whoring (from 5-6)
3. Screwing around with the Crossbow.
4. Glitching suicidal levels because of the FPs shear size (like what used to happen on Farm before it was fixed).

None of them particularly good reasons to have the mutator fixed for perk progression.

Upvote 0
Undedd Jester said:

Oh so you openly admit it was a levelling server? I rest my case

Yes thats what the post said 1-30 man non perk and 1-6 man leveling server both were very popular. Im glad you are paying attention. How about the fact that you can keep purchasing pipe bombs as long as the trader is open.You think that might contribute to the whoring?. Anyways thanks for the responses I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Upvote 0
Theres only 4 things the Poundamonium Mutator is useful for.

1. achievement whoring. *(more than one achievement could apply)
2. damage whoring *(yeah for all perks needing damage)

*fixed

do we really want to go through the whole list of things that make up the defense as to why they were de-whitelisted? especially since we've all been there and done that already how many times?

the specimen-only mutators are off the whitelist and aren't coming back :IS2:

Upvote 0