• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who's looking forward to Natural Selection 2?

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Two Unique Sides

Whether you play as one of the elite marine Frontiersmen or the vicious alien Kharaa, you must use unique strategies and your abilities to win. Marines form persistent squads to find and destroy alien hives. Aliens can choose a wall-running Skulk, pudgy Gorge, flying Lerk, murderous Fade or gigantic Onos that can smash through doors.

Real-time Strategy

Commanders play from overhead to lead their team to victory. Build structures anywhere, collect resources and research upgrades. Marines buy weapons at an Armory or build sentry turrets and siege cannons to assault the enemy. Aliens build upgrade chambers, evolve special abilities and plant traps.
envconcept11_250x129.jpg

Dynamic Environments

Spreading alien infestation deforms hallways and causes space station power failure, turning off lights and shutting down marine powered structures. Use a flamethrower to clear infestation or weld a bulkhead shut for a last defense. Every game is different.

Unlimited Variations

WYSIWYG graphical tools and powerful scripting allow you to create new weapons, scenarios or entirely new games. You'll get all our tools and Lua source code we're using to build NS2. Ongoing automatic updates keep the game fresh by adding new maps, weapons and abilities.

Apparently, the mapping SDK is meant to be the easiest ever found in a game :eek: Much easier to use than Valve's Hammer World Editor.
Here's a screenie of a map someone made. The in-game visuals look like a treat (The image is a little low-res...)

ns2-2013.jpg

http://www.naturalselection2.com/http://www.naturalselection2.com/

The teaser, preorder and screenies and other bits of info are on this site...

Who's looking forward to it? :cool:

Hell yes I'm looking forward to it. First one was a classic, still go on NS binges from time to time. Solid proof that gameplay > graphics any day. The game is quite old but still an absolute blast and has gameplay you won't find anywhere else.

One thing that bothered me though was that I couldn't figure out how to do this rapid jumping hop thing people do in NS. It's a script but everyone uses it (not viewed as cheating)... So I was always at a disadvantage. Hopefully with the new engine though that won't be in so it won't matter ;).

You know what... I'm gonna go play some NS right now, it's been too long :D.

Seriously though, anyone who hasn't played it, go download it. It's like 200 megs and is one of the best gaming experiences ever. Plenty of people still play it.

Last edited:
Reactions: skittlesareyum47
Upvote 0
Friend of mine is super excited about it. Never played the original...and the last FPS/RTS I played was Tribes...but it sounds good, and the graphics are looking pretty sharp. I was expecting something with much simpler textures and lighting.

So I'm stoked. My friends and I are looking for a new shooter to play (sorry TWI, KF has finally gone totally stale for most of us), and this might be the one.

Upvote 0
So I'm stoked. My friends and I are looking for a new shooter to play (sorry TWI, KF has finally gone totally stale for most of us), and this might be the one.

try Red Orchestra now

and by the time NS2 comes out, try RO:HoS too =P

I don't know If I'm looking forward to this game, I loved NS up to version 1.4, but then they changed the hive system in 2.0, and it lost is strategic and epic component, so I really didn't enjoy 2.0 not even close to 1.4.

I wonder how will this one be

Upvote 0
I own RO. After a night of playing, despite all the aspects of it that were cool, I didn't enjoy myself.

TLDR: The people on RO were too pro for me.

I enjoy realism. Staying prone in a crater for 3 minutes and getting sniped by regular infantry I can't even see the moment I stand up is more realism than I enjoy. I did my part to support the cause....but RO just wasn't for me. I like a little bit of game with my shooter...and RO feels closer to a military simulation to me. Maybe that's what did it for some people....but there wasn't enough game mixed into the realism for me. I know people will disagree. The tank dynamic was pretty bad *** though.

Maybe there'll be enough advances and tweaks in HoS to finally draw me in and keep me playing long enough to get better.

If the price is right on HoS, I'll get it to support TWI anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Woot, NS2!
Should be mentioned though that just like TWI, the guys behind this have forsaken their indie roots by making the game exclusive to Steam. Probably would've pre-ordered the thing if it wasn't for this major catch. Quite a surprise actually; since the development team has been screwed over by Valve Corporation several times already I expected them to be wiser, but everyone knows that it all boils down to money in the end. Loadsa money ;)

Still, with such friendly folks making this game, you all should take a closer look at the successor of the successful Half-Life mod. Just don't expect a release any time soon, they're already facing regular complaints due to foolishly announcing an estimated fall 09 release last year. I'd be genuinely surprised if it's ready by fall 10.
Also, if you're interested in all those 'deep' mechanics of the mod (like the mentioned bhop, sometimes aided by a script), you may want to curb the enthusiasm a bit. Like HoS (again), going commercial means aiming for a more casual appeal...
Fully expecting a great game though, hopefully we'll see the new Fade revealed soon :)

Upvote 0
Literally cannot wait. Natural Selection is my favorite multiplayer game ever made, and I definitely spent more time with it than anything else.

Drop me a JP and a SG.

I never played the HL mod. :(

But I found this while looking at random stuff on Moddb and it was part of their news thing. I saw it, and I was thinking, WOW :eek: And i've been looking forward to it ever since, I've never seen a game like this before.

[OUOTE] It's like some a**hole can read my mind and find exactly everything that I want and put it in a game! [/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
It's not a brand new concept; Savage was all over the RTS/FPS design about 8? years ago. Was a pretty sloppy game though IMO. More and more, I'm looking for FPS with alternative designs. I'm not so much enthralled by the RTS side of it (played plenty of BF2 and games with 'commanders' doing not FPS things), as I am that there are two distinct sides with two distinct play styles. Moar of that please.

Upvote 0
I never played the HL mod. :(

But I found this while looking at random stuff on Moddb and it was part of their news thing. I saw it, and I was thinking, WOW :eek: And i've been looking forward to it ever since, I've never seen a game like this before.

[OUOTE] It's like some a**hole can read my mind and find exactly everything that I want and put it in a game!

So go play it... there's easily 200+ people playing it at peak hours. The graphics are old of course, but you forget that almost instantly when you realize how much fun you're having.

Upvote 0
I own RO. After a night of playing, despite all the aspects of it that were cool, I didn't enjoy myself.

TLDR: The people on RO were too pro for me.

I enjoy realism. Staying prone in a crater for 3 minutes and getting sniped by regular infantry I can't even see the moment I stand up is more realism than I enjoy. I did my part to support the cause....but RO just wasn't for me. I like a little bit of game with my shooter...and RO feels closer to a military simulation to me. Maybe that's what did it for some people....but there wasn't enough game mixed into the realism for me. I know people will disagree. The tank dynamic was pretty bad *** though.

Maybe there'll be enough advances and tweaks in HoS to finally draw me in and keep me playing long enough to get better.

If the price is right on HoS, I'll get it to support TWI anyways.
Stick with it dude. As long as your resolution isn't 640x480 you'll learn to spot movement and heads peaking over mounds of dirt at range soon enough. Everyone has that "where are they killing me from!" feeling at first. Sound is a big one too, you gotta listen to where fire is coming from.

Play it cautious at the beginning. Go slow, check the horizon line for targets, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I DID only give it one night, and had someone over my shoulder judging the game while I was playing too. Neither of us are FPS slouches, but after watching me for 45 mins he was like "Yeah I don't think I'll get this." I'll admit it, the graphics are lacking for me too.

Still, I've been burnt out on everything else, maybe I'll go back again and try.

Upvote 0
I DID only give it one night, and had someone over my shoulder judging the game while I was playing too. Neither of us are FPS slouches, but after watching me for 45 mins he was like "Yeah I don't think I'll get this." I'll admit it, the graphics are lacking for me too.

Still, I've been burnt out on everything else, maybe I'll go back again and try.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Reactions: skittlesareyum47
Upvote 0
Yea I didn't play nearly enough Natural Selection to warrant me buying the 'sequel' of sorts. Sorry!

yeah i'd go along with this i'm afraid
like 'hidden' it was an impressive mod which i rated and in theory should have loved but somehow didn't get into for very long.
If it was a mod of course i'd check it out but as retail i've got enough competing for my time as it is..

edit - i see that doesn't scan - i'm talking about NS HL mod and NS2 the upcoming retail game respectively, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0