• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

50 player servers. I need your opinion.

KillingDevin

Dec 12, 2009
With my clan, I expect the upmost respect for others games and their communities.

What are your views on 50 player servers? Do you believe this is bad for a clan to do this?

I want this from developers and community members alike. Please be respectful.

I am asking this before I turn around and upgrade a few of my servers to hit that 50 player mark.

They are a blast. I wish Tripwire never disabled the perks on them. For that alone, they have basically died :I
Other way around. Unlike most companies, they allowed for numbers of players to far exceed the number for which the game was created with but then have to remove leveling since the game was not balanced for gameplay or leveling with so many players. They gave us something extra rather than took something away.

My biggest issue with 50 player servers is the length of rounds. If you miss the start of a wave, it can be up to half and hour before the next wave. If you die, should to wait and hope the team doesn't wipe or try to find a server that you don't have to wait so long?

Upvote 0
What are your views on 50 player servers? Do you believe this is bad for a clan to do this?

count me in!...imo nothing beats a good 6 player team game plus the bonus of perk leveling and yeah the builds better camaraderie and relying not on your own but as a whole team if the main agenda is to survive because even a single mistake can wipe the team.. BUT a 20, 30 or 50 player game is nonetheless still fun though a lot of times players just spend a lot more time chatting, wandering aimlessly than focusing on the game itself but on the other hand it's a good way to initiate newcomers to the game especially on large maps i'm thinkin KF-Mountainpass, and the one on large castle with dungeons..;)

Upvote 0
No point making your server 50 slots in a game designed for 6 players. All you achieve is a chaos, I dont know how anyone would enjoy that. Well, maybe its fun to try out for once but I wouldnt spend more than that couple of hours on such server.

Something like 8 to 10 players in a sandbox game could still work assuming you adjust the spawns so it provides a challenge, but if its anything above 6 you wont be leveling perks in it.

Id suggest keeping it at 6 so its more challenging/fun and players can level up on your servers.

Upvote 0
20-26 players with some proper settings (sandbox preferably + some decent custom maps) + antiblocker can be quite fun once in a while. I recall once seeing 8+ guys getting roadkilled in Arcade Gas Station back when Rallfo's servers were up as they were running away from angry flushpounds. :p

I recall seeing some japanese 100+ player server in the browser and I was really curious how that might just work, other than the chaos that would ensure.

Upvote 0
I recall once seeing 8+ guys getting roadkilled in Arcade Gas Station back when Rallfo's servers were up as they were running away from angry flushpounds. :p

haha! sure looks funny!

ontopic: i still remember playing during the free weekend (i think) where there's a LOT of servers running 20+ players and me thinks it's really fun to have every once in a while.. maps i remembered usually being played were KF-Prison, KF-Farm, KF-MountainPass and this map i forgot where you spawn at the gate of a large castle with underground prison dungeons.. it's total chaos whenever big specimens FP and or Scrakes shows up and massacre a small group and then players were like gathering everywhere leaving no stones unturned!

Upvote 0
In my opinion I would prefer 12-16 player server if i wanted to go on a 6+ server, In the kf mod I always went on a, I believe a 16 player server hosted by the PWD clan, and always enjoyed it, but for a clan? I would say... stick to the 6 player servers, public if you don't all die in one wave (I would only say something like that if it happened before), private, if your still learning how to kill a Fleshpound with out getting your flesh... WAIT no that would of sounded dirty...

Upvote 0
Al i know is, i personaly bought the game for 50+ player servers, if it was not for thought i did not even consider playing it, 6 players is boring as hell , and when ever i want to lvl up i just play solo, other then that for online gameplay 50+ playahs is the way to go, and i can honoustly say that a whole buncha other players think the same.

Upvote 0
Al i know is, i personaly bought the game for 50+ player servers, if it was not for thought i did not even consider playing it, 6 players is boring as hell , and when ever i want to lvl up i just play solo, other then that for online gameplay 50+ playahs is the way to go, and i can honoustly say that a whole buncha other players think the same.

Well that's not really true, what you said all there is a one sided opinion, people buy the game to kill some specimens with a British Accent YEA! not just to play on 50 player servers or 6 player servers the number of players doesn't matter that much.

Upvote 0
Never seen a 50, but I play on 24 player server quite often. It's very fun actually. First of all - players have some respect for Fleshpounds and Scrakes at last, as they have crazy number of hit points. Even demigod lvl6 sharpshooters are unable to kill them with one shot. Secondly - when the noobs die off, the gameplay gets really interesting - 7 players left vs 800 zeds. Squad can be wiped out even on normal difficulty with decent players. You can actually run out of M14 ammo without spamming. And lastly - patriarch fight is like attacking a tank with a can opener. Even lots of spammed pipebombs doesn't do much.

It doesn't have any sense on small maps like bioticslab though, as any crawler will get several scar and M14 rounds as soon as it emerges from his hole.

Upvote 0
To the OP:

There's nothing wrong with it. *I* enjoy the chaos of large servers, occasionally, but as people have said, the game isn't balanced for it and that causes a lot of unfun issues (a single wave taking 45 minutes, not enough specimen for everyone to kill and be entertained)...plus with KF's current downtime you may not see very many people on your server at all.

If you have to pay money to upgrade your server to do this, I would think very carefully about how you'll feel if your server is rarely more than 25% full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I like these massive servers :) Game should be a bit modified to support these massive servers thought. I like the chaos of big servers. You know its zombie outbreak, it should be chaos!

Maybe someday we will see Killing Floor: Heroes of West-London with support to these massive servers, I live in hope.

Upvote 0
I can see the community is very mixed on the idea of such a large server. I have however seen people posting positively about 16/24 player servers. I agree that 50 player would be very hectic. For a 50 player I do agree gameplay would be heavily modified. I would probably get a nice community modder to possibly do some work for me.

If I did run 50 players I would do things such as:

• Disable or limit drastically how much bullet time happens.
  • Modify it so that blocking another player results in a kick or ban (Maybe even noblock where you can't block at all)
  • Drastically change the spawns to make sure the game is balanced.
  • Have Administration on as much as possible.

I do however see lots of promise in boosting the player count to 16 to 24. But I still would love the 50 player interaction at a balanced view.

Maybe this would require custom maps? Community mappers could throw in larger than normal maps, making sure those 50 players have places to go rather than a sausage fest in a small room. (Heh.)

Upvote 0