• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machete revival

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
So... an idea that would bring good ol' machete back from the dead:

Remove knife's ability to decapitate specimen.

Arguments:

-Some people already said it is ridiculous that berserker can kill zeds faster with his knife that with a damn chainsaw

-I know it's a game and stuff, but KF tends to grip onto some minor realism - and decapitating someone with one swing of a combat knife is utterly impossible

-Knife should be last resort weapon used only in emergency / running / escaping from clot's grasp - now skilled enough player can kill herds of clots or decapitate some gorefasts and run while waiting for them to bleed out and die

Also, I think that machete's block size should be reduced to 1 or 2 blocks instead of 3.

i dont know if i like the way this sounds. berserker is my favorite and most played perk. because i mostly use the axe i really rely on my knife for dealing with trash specs. and because the axe cant extend the zed time my knife is very useful for doing so. its true that most zerker weapons have a certain niche that they excel in (i.e. chainsaw is good for holding off choke points or the katana can deal with big to small specs pretty easiliy) and as of yet i havnt really found one for the machete. nerfing the knife to make the machete viable dosent sound good to me. instead maybe give the machete something that makes it excel in a certain areas. also having the machete weigh 3 blocks rly doesnt make sense to me either , why carry a machete when u can carry a katana for the same weight?
i agree it would be nice to have the machete back i play but nerfing "weapon x" to make "weapon y" better dosent sound like the right approach.

Upvote 0
Although, one thing: Allow a hit of a knife to a Clot to break free from a Clot's grab. Or does it do that already?

It'll bust you out of a grab on any difficulty or player count.

I support removing decapitation capability from the combat knife...

...though I'll relate something of relevance: no melee weapon gets bonus headshot damage (which is total bull, btw). Decapitation is a function of the zeds, not the weapons.

Upvote 0
I would support this idea, since I find it kinda ridiculous that atm you can actually play a long game on normal with knife only...

But I dont think JUST removing the decap ability from knife would make machete more usefull. Because, that damned weapon weights AS MUCH AS the katana does, 3 blocks. Makes NO sense at all, machete should weight 1 block so someone might actually buy it instead of a pack of pipebombs to fill up the last 1 block in your inventory.

Upvote 0
Yep, no one takes machete instead of katana while they're weighting the same - well, maybe if they're not playing zerker and they don't have spare 1k quid.

As for now it's more a minor cash bonus. You see machete laying around, you pick it up and sell at next trader to get 75.

Upvote 0
Makes NO sense at all, machete should weight 1 block so someone might actually buy it instead of a pack of pipebombs to fill up the last 1 block in your inventory.
But it still doesn't make it very viable, even with all the buffs. Basically any non-zerker class cares very little about the power difference between knife and machete and would likely rather pick up a pipebomb before opting for the machete anyway. With the 'zerker class you better have something better than the machete by wave 2 or 3 anyway if you are under level 5 and with 5 plus you get spawns.

It's a marginal change and is hardly relevant. It rather see the axe made more useful rather than focusing on the machete.

Upvote 0
yup i've said that a million times too lol. right now knife > chainsaw at clean decaps. i could understand the knife slitting the speciman's throat causing them to rapidly bleed out, but the insta decap isn't really realistic at all. machete and fire ax for insta decaps is much realistic.....of course the chainsaw still needs a reverse nerf and be as powerful as it used to be.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it make more sense to be given the option to buy the machete to replace the knife? Just simply have it as an upgrade to overwrite the knifes slot, and still give you the same speed buffs and all. Lets face it the machete is about as useful as the knife, which is why noone wastes their money on it.

The weakness of the machete is you can't wield it as fast. So it becomes a choice between the machete's power or the knifes speed. I personally would still keep the knife over the machete because I love the serrated edge down the spine... and quick stabbing rules. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...of course the chainsaw still needs a reverse nerf and be as powerful as it used to be.
A reverse nerf is a buff, by the way.

I'd just like to draw people's attention to the fact that what you are trying to do, in essence, is make one weapon better indirectly by directly making another weapon worse. I'm not so sure that is sound logic. I can also tell you that I still won't use the Machete, even if it decapped, Knife didn't, and it only weighed 1 unit. Unless, perhaps, I found it on the first wave, at which point I'd sell it (which, in retrospect, is what I would do now anyways). Really, I don't think there is anything you could do to save the poor Machete's soul. It is only useful for people who are very low level Berzerkers who can't afford a Katana in the second wave. If you are level 4+, it is nothing.

Upvote 0
Yep, no one takes machete instead of katana while they're weighting the same - well, maybe if they're not playing zerker and they don't have spare 1k quid.

Well, even tho I didnt have the money, I still wouldnt buy machete in any situation. Its just a waste of money because knife is just as good as the machete if not better when it comes to decapping.

And once you reach lvl 5 berserker the money wont be an issue since you spawn with the chainsaw and can sell it to get the money for katana.

Basically any non-zerker class cares very little about the power difference between knife and machete and would likely rather pick up a pipebomb before opting for the machete anyway. With the 'zerker class you better have something better than the machete by wave 2 or 3 anyway if you are under level 5 and with 5 plus you get spawns.

True, true. Thats why I once said all melee weapons should have some unique ability rather than just giving them a powerful alternative attack. The power attack would be great with the axe, but katana should have a swing which hits multiple targets with a reduced damage instead to make it weaker than the axe. So basically if you wanted to deal a lot of damage you chose axe, if you wanted to deal moderate damage quickly you chose katana. Chainsaw is already somehow what unique with the constant fire ability, but in its current state the weapon is useless.

I dont know what kind of speciality the machete should have tho. Maybe make it faster, like faster than the katana is. Kung fu style xD

But if you ask me they could aswell remove the machete entirely and make space for better weapons...

Wouldn't it make more sense to be given the option to buy the machete to replace the knife? Just simply have it as an upgrade to overwrite the knifes slot, and still give you the same speed buffs and all.

Now that would be a great idea. Someone might actually buy the machete.

Upvote 0
A reverse nerf is a buff, by the way.

i see your join date is november, but did you play KF before the heavy metal and level up updates, as in before october? if not i'll fill you in on the weapon's history. from may til september the chainsaw was a beast, then in october it got nerfed to the state of uselessness.

because of that it's not a buff. it's reversing the weapon back to what it used to be by removing the nerfing that was done to it. a buff implies that the weapon is receiving a completely new upgrade, like when they increased shotgun penetration, that was a buff because it gave the shotguns an upgrade they never had. reverting the chainsaw back to it's original state wouldn't add anything new, therefore you don't call it a buff. calling it a buff would imply that the chainsaw had always been as crappy as it is now and it was getting upgraded to make it better. that's why i didn't say "buff" because it's not a buff. instead i kinda created my own terminology for a "reverse nerf" meaning, taking away the nerfing that was done to revert it back to its original state of awesomeness. ;)

back to topic:

i also like the idea that you could swap out the machete for the combat knife.....especially if the knife is changed to no longer allow insta-decapping. although it really wouldn't matter much because after wave 1 most players will never have the need to use those weapons anyway....unless they just want to have a little fun :D

Upvote 0
It's still a buff either way, but anyway...

Giving any weapon a faster attack with lowish damage is just asking for trouble since it starts encroaching on the chainsaw. Perhaps:

Machette gets headshot bonus (because it is good at chopping things?).
OR
Becomes an upgrade for the knife that weighs nothing but costs (don't particularly like since money is rarely a huge issue so this just marginalizies the knife).

Axe gets sweeping area of effect attack/s.

Katana swings slightly slower but gets a damage buff and linear AoE forward.

Chainsaw gets huge damage buff but has gas so that you can't use it indefinitly and discourages spamming.

Upvote 0