• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Special ammunition

Temstar

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2009
So we all want more guns to give KF more variety. I’ve come up with an idea to achieve this with minimal development resources: special ammunition for tier 1 guns.

Now a lot of the tier 1 guns lose their usefulness in late rounds and are traded in for tier 3 upgrades (bullpup to SCAR, lever action to M14, M79 to M32, etc). So I figure why not give tier 1 guns the option to load more expensive special ammunition that modifies their behaviour and potentially make them useful in certain situations in late rounds?

So anyway here are the suggestions:

Bullpup:

762ap.jpg

Steel core round – 5.56 NATO with a solid steel penetrator designed for armour piercing. Gives bullpup handcannon style penetration but still the same damage.

Pump Action Shotgun:
img2302549e8b43c163de.jpg

Shotgun slugs – shells containing a single slug rather than shots. Does less damage than point blank shot with shells but gives support option for a bit more range.

Lever Action Rifle:
Wildcat round – .30-30 handloaded with more than standard amount of powder. Gives lever action 50% more damage.

M79:
40mmbeehiveround.jpg

Beehive round – 40mm grenade packed with 18 .22LR rounds. Demos all want a gun for short range defence, so why not turn their old M79 into something of a hunting shotgun. Of course for all that power and only 4 weight you have to pay 20 pounds per beehive (and no sell/rebuy trick with this) for the pleasure.

(Yo dawg we heard you like shooting, so we put bullets in your bullet, so you can shoot while you shoot.)

So the way it works is you go to the traders, and for these weapons you have two different reload clip /reload all buttons. One is the normal one and one is a special coloured one for loading these special ammos. Switching ammo type discards all current ammo loaded.

Special ammunition costs twice as much as standard ammo.

Last edited:
(Yo dawg we heard you like shooting, so we put bullets in your bullet, so you can shoot while you shoot.)
Very clever observation. :)

I like the idea. It seems nice, and it would especially help alleviate ammo concerns on Suicidal, but I'd also like to see what the pro's think. A lot of ideas are floating around at any given time, all designed to fix the same perceived problem.

Upvote 0
Sure the special ammunation would be cool if it wasnt too complicated. I mean, the lack of time in the trader and possible balance issues etc.. the typical stuff.

But like 9_6 said most tier 1 weapons are being used in later waves, so the problem you descriped isnt really there imo. Some people prefer hunting shotgun while others rely on the regular one, along with AA12. Same with bullpup/ak and scar combinations. I know some people actually prefer the bullpup because of its reflex sights and almost zero recoil while scoped.

The only weapons that are left out atm is the berserker weapons, machete, axe and the chainsaw. Everything else is being used frequently. I really hope they do something about the machete in the next update, because its the only weapon which is NEVER used by anyone. Even LAW is more useful and I see it more often than machete. I mean whats the deal with that damn weapon, it weights as much as a katana but its basically as useful as the knife is (if not worse).

Upvote 0