• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Firebug idea (Not new weapons, but purchasable addons)

HodlPu

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
I know I know, so many firebug threads. But the firebug has not been getting any love game wise, and I don't think I've seen anyone with this idea. Therefore, a separate thread for this idea only might be better for discussion if anyone likes it.

I think making new firebug weapons is pointless as making different variations of flamethrowers is redundant. Rather than follow the other perks in purchasing new weapons, I came up with this idea.

In my opinion, I would like the firebug to be the only perk that can customize its weapon by purchasing upgrades and addons to the flamethrower.

Rather than buy weapons, a firebug can purchase these upgrades:
1) Increased gas tank ammo
2) Increased range
3) Increased pressure (chance to make ZEDS flinch)
4) Increased spread
HIGHER TIER PURCHASES, CAN ONLY PURCHASE ONE OF THESE, AND ABOVE UPGRADES STILL APPLY
5) Flame burst (a secondary fire add-on which is similar to husk's attack)
6) Inferno burst (another secondary fire add-on that shoots a high pressure burst of fire that does high damage, but uses a lot more ammo and is extremely short ranged)

Each firebug is allowed only 3 purchases from above on their flamethrower. This results in different combinations per player taste. Upgrades can only be bought once, but can be sold for a different upgrade. The Higher tier addons change the look of your flamethrower depending on which one you purchase, so all is needed is a different flamethrower model.

In my opinion, I feel this would make the firebug much more distinct and interesting perk.

Last edited:
I think making more than one gun is pointless as making different variations of guns is redundant. They all just shoot bullets.

That doesn't make much sense either, does it?

There are two distinct types of flamethrowers in the real world which are as varied as the difference between a sawed off shotgun and a high caliber rifle.

There's no reason not to add the other type.

Other than this, I like the idea of modifying your weapons, but I think it should be allowed for any weapon or perk.

Upvote 0
Yeah I see what you're saying, but I still think its pretty pointless to come up with new weapons for the firebug from what I've seen so far.

What, a torch? The flamethrower can handle that already...
What, moltovs? Grenades and the flamethrower can handle that already...

Instead of coming up with weapons with overlapping rolls, I thought adding a way to improve the current useful weapon in-game would be better.

As for other weapons having addons, I would agree but to a much lesser extent since addons could conflict with their already existing secondary attacks, also diminish the firebugs chance to have something completely new. Otherwise, we could end up with people wanting napalm shotguns o_O (bad!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[...]
As for other weapons having addons, I would agree but to a much lesser extent since addons could conflict with their already existing secondary attacks, also diminish the firebugs chance to have something completely new. Otherwise, we could end up with people wanting napalm shotguns o_O (bad!)

a napalm shotgun, awesome idea, it would shoot a spread of napalm at really short range, then you could light it on fire with your flamethrower inflicting massive continual damage that never wears off!

Upvote 0