• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The update. Seriously, TWI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDave

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Yet another update, and yet again no apparent fixes to the glaring issues with Sharpshooter, Firebug and Berserker? I mean, thanks for the new content. That's great, once my favorite perks are competitive again, and half of all player slots aren't SS anymore, I might load the game and try the new stuff.

No, really. What's up?

trilance, there've already been countless suggestions on ways the problems could be fixed. So no, at this point, we people are out of more productive things to do. The ball is in TWI's court.

No matter how much new content is added, if nearly half the perks are broken before a map update, then nearly half the game will still be broken afterwards. It would make more sense to fix perks first.

Zetsumei: It's been five updates since then.

Upvote 0
Yeah but all those patches were aimed at performance issues and bugs, not at rebalancing something that is possibly a bit unbalanceed with the release of the game.

If something were to change to perks or headshot code for snipers etc it would not happen unless there would be a major code change for a patch. Now of course it could be that they won't change a thing at all.

Because remember its not like the change of classes was a bug its doing exactly what its supposed to do although there are quite some complains about things. So its not unlikely that things will be changed but if it will happen it probably wont happen till a next patch that adds new code and stuff, and won't be added in quick bug/performance hotfixes etc.

The M14 is too strong probably (atleast with the headshot damage), and the Crossbow is able to behead some characters maybe too easily making the class a little overpowered. Berserker and Firebug probably need some tweaks to make them stronger. And the law needs some changes to make it usable. So i support in wanting it changed, and of course the quicker the better yet something like this wouldn't fit into the current updates that were released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A large part of the community agrees that the game is unbalanced since the free weekend patch. We are complaining about this to effect a change. Why would I go complain about something that's not broken?

As far as my post is concerned, there is nothing offensive in it. If it hurt your feelings, gosh, I'm sorry. A simple response from TWI would even suffice. "Yes we're aware, it is being worked on," or "No we have no plans to balance weapons/perks." Maybe two months isn't enough to add new weapons or adjust the stats on old ones, but it's more than enough for a simple response.

Now, I agree that TWI is good. But, as humble as my contribution is, I help fund their payroll, and many others who do have posted similar opinions to mine. If some of their customers are not pleased, they might want to know this, and why, since it will affect their bottom line in the future.

On the first page of the "General" and "Ideas" boards alone, I count 8 posts relating one way or another to the perk balance issues that sprung up with the weapons patch. It is not a "mediocre tidbit." In comparison, I see 0 threads on the front pages asking for new maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I'm having a blast with the update. I've played Icebreaker and Filthscross but not Crash or Departed. I'm having a lot of fun with the latter two.

A lot of you people need to relax. I'm sure Tripwire will address the balance issues, there's no need to be pushy and/or rude about it.

I like the new maps and defense alliance is pretty good. Icebreaker and Departed are fun, but Crash and Filthscross are brutal...

Upvote 0
Izak, most of the posts pruned were from people like king kong coming in here going "LOL SS R FINE U MORAN" and so on.

Either way, it's interesting to see how this topic elicits reactions. I think it's because there are two camps: One the one hand, people who like playing the off-perks, probably because they require a somewhat different approach. On the other hand, you have people who like playing more mainstream perks, the counter-strike type.

While the first group of people noticed a big change in balance, with the new weapons making their perks inferior choices in comparison... the second group sees an improvement in their own gameplay, due to having better weapons all of a sudden, and doesn't want any change.

Upvote 0
Yeah but all those patches were aimed at performance issues and bugs, not at rebalancing something that is possibly a bit unbalanceed with the release of the game.

If something were to change to perks or headshot code for snipers etc it would not happen unless there would be a major code change for a patch. Now of course it could be that they won't change a thing at all.

Because remember its not like the change of classes was a bug its doing exactly what its supposed to do although there are quite some complains about things. So its not unlikely that things will be changed but if it will happen it probably wont happen till a next patch that adds new code and stuff, and won't be added in quick bug/performance hotfixes etc.

The M14 is too strong probably (atleast with the headshot damage), and the Crossbow is able to behead some characters maybe too easily making the class a little overpowered. Berserker and Firebug probably need some tweaks to make them stronger. And the law needs some changes to make it usable. So i support in wanting it changed, and of course the quicker the better yet something like this wouldn't fit into the current updates that were released.

Dear God all I want for christmas is to keep my mouse sensitivity !!!

Upvote 0
The major difference is that pretty much all servers will eventually have those maps in the maplist. So rather than being lucky and finding a server with custommaps to play those, any server will allow you to play them.

But possibly more importantly the contest drew more mappers to the game, and all those mappers are we to thank for the countless great custommaps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not going to say anything about balance, as I've only logged ~30 hours and I play Normal, but I encourage everybody to keep their cool, and don't say anything disparaging. It really gets me down seeing how many people cry as if their heart's on fire asking for change. Please, I'm sure Tripwire is hard at work, but shouting at them isn't going to improve anything. The men behind the machine have feelings too; hurling insults and sarcastic comments does not encourage them to work harder. Have some respect. It's okay to say what balance changes need to be made, I'm sure they listen to some degree, but don't overdo it. Thanks guys, and a big thanks to Tripwire Interactive for making this awesome game. And yes, it's awesome right now, even if you think it's broken.

Upvote 0
As I said in my post which subsequently got deleted, it's surprising TWI are taking so long to fix the balancing considering it always seems quite important to them. Makes me wonder if TWI feel the balancing is more or less where they want it. I'd be curious to hear.

Of course, as Putz more or less put it my opinion is worthless so you may ignore this post. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I like the new maps and defense alliance is pretty good. Icebreaker and Departed are fun, but Crash and Filthscross are brutal...

Really? I find Crash to be one of the easier maps as long as you're outside. Inside is just insane.

Filthscross on the other hand is tough. So many spawn points and not many good spots to hold up in my experience.

Upvote 0
Yeah.

Making the chainsaw useful again would only be a matter of changing the damage variable back to its old value, balancing the m14 and crossbow a bit would only be a matter of adjusting the headshot multiplicator/adjusting the clipsize or damage or something and the katana semi-autofire... has always been intended to be a piece of inconsistent crap that makes no sense for reasons never mentioned at all.

Oh better don't mention the katana autofire or the thread will get locked with an ohsowitty oneliner and no real explanation.
I could go on with things that would actually be a breeze to change since it's only changing the damage around a bit but why bother.
It's not like they don't know yet. Hell, it's probably intended to be that way.

I do realize that this mainly is a defence alliance-release update with some community maps thrown in but you'd think they would try at least some balancing after more than a month since the level up patch.

Yes I do appreciate the new content but what the hell?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.