• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Specimen species

Fish Samitch

Oct 26, 2009
What do you guys think of adding more specimens to the game?

I think a flying type of specimen would add a lot of atmosphere to maps like KF Farm. It would be cool to have them perched in trees waiting to swoop down in on the survivors. It would be cool if they could grab onto the players heads and bite them kinda like that new L4D2 infected. Perhaps a gargoyle type looking monster with bat-like wings, but semi humanoid body. I figure since the crawler is spider/human, it would not look out of place if done right.

OFF:Sounds cool, in ut2004 invasion mode there were flying creatures, so maybe its possible doing this in kf, but I read from some guy saying that the kf editor didn't have flying-node paths or such.

ON: I would like a different kind of FP, the one in the game looks more like a prototype for sth else. It would be awesome to see an upgraded FP :p (with more cloth/armor in the lower parts, instead of a metal underwear)

Upvote 0
First flying specs wouldn't work in most indoor maps because they wouldn't be high enough to make any difference. Since KF doesn't have any separate nodes for flying enemies they would just follow path nodes on the ground, but they would be in the air. To make flying enemies work in the game would be an enormous project with little benefit in the long run. KF was built with linear gameplay in mind. That's why having any z-axis displacement can really help the players and major differences can be game breaking.

Upvote 0
OFF:Sounds cool, in ut2004 invasion mode there were flying creatures, so maybe its possible doing this in kf, but I read from some guy saying that the kf editor didn't have flying-node paths or such.

ON: I would like a different kind of FP, the one in the game looks more like a prototype for sth else. It would be awesome to see an upgraded FP :p (with more cloth/armor in the lower parts, instead of a metal underwear)

I would so want another kind of FP, one the whole team had to focus on to kill.. that would be sweet. Have him come at the end of round 10 as the last mob before pat, and if you get past him you can fight Pat.. lol

Upvote 0
I want a ZED who doesn't have a "Head sweet spot" as to nullify the sharpshooters and actually make use of the Berserkers. Or just make the FPs no longer have a sweet spot on their head, so they take the same damage in the head as in the chest.

Something has to balance out the Sharpshooters. They make FPs absolutely trivial on Suicidal if they can see them coming...

Upvote 0
I want a ZED who doesn't have a "Head sweet spot" as to nullify the sharpshooters and actually make use of the Berserkers. Or just make the FPs no longer have a sweet spot on their head, so they take the same damage in the head as in the chest.

Well, I second the idea of having weaker enemies against melee weaponry. And for the FP's head sweet spot, just make another type of FP that has a bulletproof helmet :p

Upvote 0
couple of speciment ideas

a specimen which has the ability to charge in a line (not like flesh which enrages straight for you)
a specimen which once moderatley close to you can slow down the players movement speed
a specimen that has its head/weak spot on its back (may be a heavy opponent that once focuses on a player other players can then attack it)
a specimen that has a very high amount of hp but is slow but could do massive dmg once in melee range (like an advanced bloat)
a specimen that has a large blade/weapon which is extremely powerful however players have the ability to cut off there arm and make them almost useless (also like the bloat)

Possible new boss suggestions:

Master specimen: boss created a master specimen in the last days before the government tried to shut it, or whilst mutated he also worked on creating a super specimen just like himself
Large spider: spits bloat bile, possible dmg over time or slowing effect, once dmged instead of vanishing could either hastily run away or explode into smaller spider specimens which by killing htem also does dmg to him. Possible leaping attack too.
Second idea: gaint bloat specimen, large wave of dmg infront of him like minigun, faster speed, extremely large hp, has the ability to explode/do aoe damage (but ofc not kill himself) during this fight smaller specimen based on bloats, possible charge attack (could be a kite boss, might be interesting whilst other bloats spawn, especially expecting a different boss and welding all the doors shut)
Third boss idea, smaller fast paced specimen has the ability to use all player weapon types and can also weld doors open or shut, can use pipebombs grenades etc would be a very hard challenge if implemented corectly.

Possible ideas (thse are only ideas iv basically thought up right now) so tell me how u think, ways to make them better or more ideas ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To the op's suggestion, I think the idea would work but not in the way you might have been imaging (or exactly, who knows).

It would move like the others, following the ground pathing, so on, but instead it would stay above the other specimens. That way, it wouldn't be caught in line and could soar over the others and dive into the fray, making a nice distraction. Maybe like a fast moving, bat/humanoid(Yeah yeah, Batman jokes.) Could even have a small, cone shape, directional scream which it uses as it approaches, then swaps to melee like a crawler. Probably have to tone down the scream damage by comparison to a Siren, but it would be vicious when it comes to disrupting a defensive point, and if it zigzags, a single shot weapon would have a harder time pegging it in the head.

Now, as for any idea which is 'Make the Berserker the only way to handle it' is not much better than leaving the Sharpshooter being able to handle everything. You replace one tyrant with another. The point shouldn't be for any one perk to be absolutely necessary, but that they all have strengths and weaknesses which compliment one another, giving each a role to fill that's not 'counter this specific ZED'.

And yes, we absolutely need an alternative boss fight, maybe something like a breeder which constantly puts out ZEDs that the team has to locate and kill. Maybe its immobile and screams every so often so that you have an easier time locating it, and each scream is like a fast wave counter. If you don't get to and kill it before it gets off like four screams, you're gonna have fleshpounds to deal with while killing it.

Upvote 0
Your breeder idea is interesting, it brings to mind the little critter hives you had to kill in Diablo 2. It was an interesting challenge trying to kill the hive while dealing with the other critters around it.

A quick fix to make Patches more challenging is to spawn more zeds while he heals, even on suicidal you only get 20 or so clots and maybe a couple gores, pretty much a joke that doesn't present any threat and are killed quickly before the patriarch comes back to fight. spawning some bigger enemies like scrakes and maybe a fp on suicidal would make the patriarch more of a challenge to bring down.

I also like the idea of a tough specimen that doesn't have a headshot weakness, but has a weak spot on his back. That would present some interesting strategies for dealing with him as opposed to the usual xbow headshots. This would encourage players to spread out a bit, allowing for more angles of attack, or letting the zed get closer to the team while one player hangs back to shoot from behind. Alternatively a zerk could slash it in the back or get the specimen to turn around, exposing his back to the rest of the team. There would have to be some kind of thick bony structure on his head justifying his headshot immunity, perhaps covering most of his body except for the sweet spot on the back. Also, any new specimen would have to have a different method of attack, to prevent it from being too much like a scrake etc.

Something tough and scary looking that slows players down when it gets close was suggested here (the "Reaper"): [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37745&highlight=reaper[/URL]
The idea being it's so freakin scary that it screws with a person's motor skills. It should also give them tunnel vision. It could have a large shadow beneath it indicating its area of effect. It's like a siren except it affects your combat ability instead of doing range damage. It could even increase your recoil and reload times, or decrease all of your perk modifiers. It would be tough and if it wasn't dealt with could disrupt a team long enough to give the oncoming waves enough of an edge to overrun the team. It would also have a powerful melee attack with no cheesy stun effects, so it would pose a threat to the zerker, particularly if surrounded by enemies (the zerk would also attack slower). If it got close enough to a player, his movement speed would be reduced to the point that he could not outrun the zed, and would be forced to kill it quickly. If the specimen were point blank, the player would freeze in his tracks and probably be killed by the melee attacks.

Upvote 0
This bloat like specimen sounds nice, who wouldnt have any soft spot on the head. And i think that this specimen should be a female, cause there are only stalkers and sirens with all the dudes. So, a "Big momma" or something like that would appear on wave 3-4 and would have big amount of health, and her head couldnt be knocked off so easily. Of course this nice old lady would be really slow. It aint over until the fat lady sings!

Upvote 0
A relativly new spider boss idea

A relativly new spider boss idea

Like the crawler, but it's fangs actually work. Fill them with a venom, so that every attack does damage over time but make them easy to kill, yet hard to hit. Like a few pistol roundsa will take them down on hard but due to their speed and awareness, they become hard targets. Also, make him green. and orange. And a little black hour-glass on his back like a black widows. (i know the black widow's is red, but red and orange hurt my head when close together, so I'm going with black)

Upvote 0