• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando and the Shotgun

Andrew Past

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 4, 2009
Now, I was getting bored with my normal SCAR/AK combo while trying to farm stalkers on normal servers, so I dropped the AK and picked up a shotgun to work on shotgun damage between stalkers. Well, as a level four Commando, I get a 15% reload speed increase with all weapons. This produced some surprising results. In normal at least, it seems that the reload speed makes the shotgun a viable backup as a higher level Commando. This leads me to the question: considering that level six Commando has a 35% reload speed boost. which is over twice of what I have now, is shotgun a viable backup to the SCAR equal to that or over the AK/Bullpup on suicidal?

Speaking as a level 3 verging on 4 commando, I prefer the LMG capabilities of the bullpup combined with the SCAR on every map. As you already know, the bullpup is almost unmatched in trash mob destruction. SCAR is a excellent weapon for the heavies.

I don't bother with AK, not enough bullets compared to bullpup.

I would honestly only buy the shotgun for dark maps like Office's stairwell, Farm, BEDLAM, and whatever custom map is dark and spooky.

Upvote 0
Well, I've actually played around with that before, and is actually the weapon I use to take as a backup pre-AK47. However, from my experience, while it's not bad, it's not really good either, mostly because it's not at all good for groups. I know, that sounds strange, but the only reason Support does so well with large groups is because of the penetration, without it, the shotgun becomes really lackluster. I could see it being good for a dark map like Adaxa said, just watch your ammo.

Upvote 0
i think the best combo is still a commando who uses pup/ak/SCAR. your just using the weapons full benefit. i never liked the 40/48 ammo i get with shotgun. while i get more ammo on a pup or ak just use semi auto and aim for the head obviously. and each perk usually has their own roles on what monsters to kill anyways. you'll get it a bit more when you try suicidal mode. but normal mode whatever just have fun

Upvote 0
i think the best combo is still a commando who uses pup/ak/SCAR. your just using the weapons full benefit. i never liked the 40/48 ammo i get with shotgun. while i get more ammo on a pup or ak just use semi auto and aim for the head obviously. and each perk usually has their own roles on what monsters to kill anyways. you'll get it a bit more when you try suicidal mode. but normal mode whatever just have fun

That's the bonus, though: Commando guns are so light that you can generally carry them AND another weapon!

Also, the AK is pretty much the "In-Between" that no one uses. Bullpup has more ammo/firing rate/less recoil/cheaper. The SCAR maximizes the firepower/lower clip size/high recoil end of things. No use getting the AK when the SCAR is available, really.

Upvote 0
That's the bonus, though: Commando guns are so light that you can generally carry them AND another weapon!

Also, the AK is pretty much the "In-Between" that no one uses. Bullpup has more ammo/firing rate/less recoil/cheaper. The SCAR maximizes the firepower/lower clip size/high recoil end of things. No use getting the AK when the SCAR is available, really.

I always get the AK since I can't stand the Bullpup. :p Although I do wish my AK was not a folding stock model, it's more classy with a real stock!

Upvote 0