• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For the love of god, please do something about the server browser

bar10dr

Jul 12, 2006
It's the worst server browser I have ever used.

The only reason I now love the game, is that a friend of mine pressed me into trying it after I had given up trying to join games using the server browser.

Here are the issues I have with the terrible server browser:

1. Each time you make a change to the filters or are rejected when you try to join a game for some reason, the list refreshes itself.

What happens:
The list takes me about two minutes to load, each time I try to enter a server that's become full or for some reason does not let me connect (This happens 9 out of 10 times) the server list refreshes itself, I can spend about 10-15 minutes just to join a server... This is why I the first time I tried the game just gave up, I have better use of my time than that.

What should happen:
The server list should only refresh when you choose to refresh it, that's what the refresh button is for. At least give us an option to hinder refresh until we want to refresh it. Any filter changes should only refresh the already loaded list (Instead of spending two minutes getting a new list for each filter change)

2. The server filters do not apply to the server list.

What happens:
When I press 'no full servers' the server list is still populated with tons of servers that are full, when I press 'no password protected servers' the server list is full of password protected servers.. what the hell?

What should happen:
The list should of course be updated with the choices you selected..

3. When you sort the server list, new servers are automatically added between the sorted list.

What happens:
Lets say you want to sort after ping or number of players. While the list is still being populated you try and double click a server to join it, but while you try and double click, a server gets added over the one you click on, thus resulting in you trying to enter the wrong server (Again I have to wait for a new server refresh).

What should happen:
When you sort the server list the items already gotten should be sorted, every new servers added after that should be added unsorted to the bottom of the list.

4. For some reasons a lot of the servers show up as N/A in the ping field.
(ping request timed out?)

What happens:
1/6th of all server show N/A in the ping field.

What should happen:
These servers are of no use to anyone, for all I know it could have a 2000ms ping. If you cannot devise a way to get correct ping from servers then there should be an option to not show those servers in the server list.

Apart from the server browser, I'm having a great time playing, those time I actually manage to get into a server that is.

Thanks for reading.
-Bar

1. Each time you make a change to the filters or are rejected when you try to join a game for some reason, the list refreshes itself.
Given the 6 player cap, and the fact that players join and leave KF servers frequently...this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The server filters do not apply to the server list.
They do for me. I assume you hit refresh after you set filters?

When you sort the server list, new servers are automatically added between the sorted list.
Or you could....wait 20 seconds. I know, that's an eternity. It also defeats the purpose of the sort button to have to hit it 4 times in 20 seconds to fully sort the updated server list.

For some reasons a lot of the servers show up as N/A in the ping field.
Those are servers that haven't been updated...and there is nothing TWI can do about it.

The browser used to be terribad at release, and the filters truly didn't work...but it's completely functional now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i agree, there are some issues like how the server loads some games faster than the games closer to your ping, it is anoying when it refreshes when u get kicked out of your game/trying to join.

however all/most these problems cab be solved very easily, just put all servers with the most playable ping in your favourites list, it may take a little while to get all of them buty the fav games stay there forever and dont refresh, so its quick and easy just to go to favs and join a game instead of loading the whole server list

Upvote 0
What ticks me off the most is the inability to stop a server refresh. Frequently I will find a server I want to join while it's still refreshing and when I double click the server, another server decides to slip in under where I'm clicking thus causing me to join a different server. Selecting the server and clicking on "join" at the bottom doesn't work either. Your selected server changes as the list refreshes.

Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
Given the 6 player cap, and the fact that players join and leave KF servers frequently...this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This could be fixed if they made it that whenever you clicked on a server, only that server updated.

The UT2004 server list is far behind in the times and trends of server lists. All it needs are some minor functionality tweaks. I shouldn't have to favorite a server just so I don't lose it when I turn on the no empty servers filter.

Upvote 0
It would seem you took my post as a personal attack, I assure you it is not.

Perhaps we are having different experiences with the server refresh, it seems it is much faster for you.

They do for me. I assume you hit refresh after you set filters?
Why would I hit refresh when the list automatically refreshes itself each time you do a filter change?

Or you could....wait 20 seconds. I know, that's an eternity. It also defeats the purpose of the sort button to have to hit it 4 times in 20 seconds to fully sort the updated server list.
As previously mentioned, your 20 seconds is not what I am experiencing. Your Internet connection might be faster than mine.

Those are servers that haven't been updated...and there is nothing TWI can do about it.
They can add an option to not show them, which is what I asked for.

The browser used to be terribad at release, and the filters truly didn't work...but it's completely functional now.
Ok well then I guess I am imagining my problems then.

Upvote 0
The UT2004 server list is far behind in the times and trends of server lists. All it needs are some minor functionality tweaks. I shouldn't have to favorite a server just so I don't lose it when I turn on the no empty servers filter.

Yep. The less than awesome browser is because of the engine they've chosen. They've done a decent job of getting up to today's functionality. Not perfect, but nothing worth geekin over.

Upvote 0

Pretty sure the servers don't update their information that frequently. I'm guessing you could try to connect to a server, fail, then try to connect to another before the list needs to be refreshed. Trying to join several servers in a row and failing with all of them (this can happen, for instance if you have a connection problem) is extremely tedious because of the current behaviour.

Either way, it's amazingly retarded that the list refreshes itself when you apply a filter, click the 'internet' tab again, or go back to it after failing to connect to a server. I was hoping TWI would improve it with this patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, it is always a bad thing.
It's convenient that you've ignored the reasons given why this is bad (eg can spend about 10-15 minutes just to join a server) and then tried to throw a likely bogus topspin on it.

I appreciate the work and I love the game and TWI, but let's try and stay "real". This is a valid criticism and annoys the crap out of me every single day. Combined with no ping filter this issue is a disaster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The server list should only refresh when you choose to refresh it, that's what the refresh button is for. At least give us an option to hinder refresh until we want to refresh it. Any filter changes should only refresh the already loaded list (Instead of spending two minutes getting a new list for each filter change)
Amen, brother.
While I don't want to whinge in the face of some extremely great work, I share your frustration that this wasn't fixed in the last release.

What surprised me even more, though, is that I can't see most of the players names on a server because the names in red text (bottom-right) is on top of the new, big yellow logo. The contrast is not readable (maybe squinting helps). While this is minor, I just cannot understand how anybody could actually look at that, try to read the text and let it through to release. It's like a web page with purple writing on a light-blue background...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Who cares about that... that was only a problem in the free weekend when a server could go from 0 to 6 players in seconds. When you join 3 servers only to have the connection fail or for it to fill, it begins to get pretty ****ing annoying when the server list resets itself for absolutely no reason, making you waste yet another 20 seconds that is completely unecessary. In isolation its nothing, but when it happens multiple times in a row or frequently it gets on your nerves.

There is NO reason for it to keep refreshing itself when it fails, if i wanted it to refresh i would press the damn button myself.

Upvote 0
not to be the negative naybob, but how fkin slow is your internet connection that it takes 2 minutes to refresh the list? and how can you even play online if its that arse slow?

although yes, it would be nice if the list was cached and only refreshed when you hit refresh, thats the only update i can think of, other then the partial update thing ive seen in other games, where it just updates the servers, not the entire list. ( wont add new servers, just updates the ones you currently see)

Upvote 0
not to be the negative naybob, but how fkin slow is your internet connection that it takes 2 minutes to refresh the list? and how can you even play online if its that arse slow?

although yes, it would be nice if the list was cached and only refreshed when you hit refresh, thats the only update i can think of, other then the partial update thing ive seen in other games, where it just updates the servers, not the entire list. ( wont add new servers, just updates the ones you currently see)

I live in Norway, perhaps that's why its so slow here, because I have to ping a lot of servers in the US?

Don't have any issues with this in for example COD games, and when I find a server with low ping I don't have any play issues.

I just reported my immediate thoughts as a new player of this game, the only thing I really disliked was the server browser, I loved the rest of it. As far as games go that's very good, but sadly the server browser is the very first part of the game people see, I just thought it would make sense to make it less crappy and thus gave my opinions of why it sucks and what could be done to make it usable.

Upvote 0
It's convenient that you've ignored the reasons given why this is bad (eg can spend about 10-15 minutes just to join a server) and then tried to throw a likely bogus topspin on it.
Uhm....maybe if you're piggybacking your internet connection on a mule somewhere in the Sahara. Exaggeration is bad. I didn't ignore any reasons. I just find them exaggerated. Kind of like the guy that is still on 56k and says that things are slow and that it's TWI problem. 10 to 15 minutes might be true if you're trying to fill a server with your friends...and that's been a problem in every MP game I've ever played.

The free weekend was the cause of a lot of issues....and that's over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0