• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How about just another Flamethrower?

Ihmhi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
www.asseater.org
What's the core difference between the .45 and the Handcannon?

Not a whole lot besides clip size, bullet damage, and accuracy.

So how about for Firebug we just get a bigger flamethrower? Longer range, a *little* more damage, and perhaps it burns the ground/walls longer. It's the best way to keep it simple and give the firebug a decent second weapon.

1. Uh, what .45?
2. I'm assuming by .45 you meant the 9mm, since you were comparing handguns and the 9mm is the only handgun aside from the handcannon.
3. Giving another weapon that's better in all ways is hardly the best solution. It needs to have a different role. The Commando's AK is more of a single-target weapon (kill FPs/Scrakes) while his bullpup is a sweeping kill-the-mob weapon. Currently, the Firebug's flamer fills the sweeping role. Any new flamethrower (or other FB weapon) should give the Firebug more of a chance against a Scrake or FP.

Even the 9mm and HC fill different roles, after all. The HC is more mean for something for a SS to switch to when something big gets close before he can crossbow it to death. They're too inaccurate and low of ammo to sweep like the 9mm does.

Upvote 0
Chemical thrower please. Without the lasting damage, it needs to be focussed on its target. Increasing the damage therefore, would then make it perfect for single target situations. Since it would be used less, in a way, it only makes sense that it should weigh a tad less(Say....8 blocks? Same as shotgun), to make room for A Bullpup, AK, Lever Action or some Handcannons. With said extra weapon, the Firebug can then make short work of all the weaker enemies that remain, yet nowhere near as efficiently or quickly as the Flamethrower would have.

if the pyro should get some other weaponry, it should be molotov cocktails
Molotov Cocktail is just a 'brand name' for incendiary grenade.....and we already got those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha chem trooper. Good old days of command and conquer.
images

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Uh, what .45?
2. I'm assuming by .45 you meant the 9mm, since you were comparing handguns and the 9mm is the only handgun aside from the handcannon.

Yeah, I meant 9mm. Hurr durr on my part.

3. Giving another weapon that's better in all ways is hardly the best solution. It needs to have a different role. The Commando's AK is more of a single-target weapon (kill FPs/Scrakes) while his bullpup is a sweeping kill-the-mob weapon. Currently, the Firebug's flamer fills the sweeping role. Any new flamethrower (or other FB weapon) should give the Firebug more of a chance against a Scrake or FP.

Even the 9mm and HC fill different roles, after all. The HC is more mean for something for a SS to switch to when something big gets close before he can crossbow it to death. They're too inaccurate and low of ammo to sweep like the 9mm does.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a clone where it's just like the flamethrower but shoots farther or something., but an overall improvement/upgrade.

How about the differences between, say, the Axe and the Katana? What are the roles of those weapons? The Axe is a cheaper, weaker version of the Katana.

Upvote 0
Actually this is the best suggestion for an additional firebug weapon I have read.

Just give him the additional flamethrower. Let it be called as: "ZX-109" and it is a prototype of some sort. Fires white/blue flames (like blowtorch). Whatever, it is just another flamethrower.

Just like commando has two rifles. AK and Bullup are both rifles.

Just like support has two shotguns...

And the list goes on.

Upvote 0
I'd actually like to see a flaregun like the one from the first blood added to the game. Primary fire spits out a single flare that sticks to whatever it hits and deals some damage over time, which can stack with multiple flares. Alternate fire spits out a huge wad of flares ( I think it was seven or eight of them ) that act as pretty much a fire bomb and set fire to everything in the general area of the impact.

Or maybe even something like the spray can from blood? It works like a short-range flamethrower, but alternate fire turns the can into a time bomb that explodes like a fire grenade. Except, this could be the bigger, meaner version of that which uses an entire fuel canister.

Considering the firebug is a fire-based perk with the molotovs and flamethrower, I still feel they don't really have much in the way of fire weapons compared to other perks, which leads to a feeling of repetition. As a commando, I can switch between AK and bullpup whenever I get bored of one ( for the most part ), the same of which can be said for every other perk excluding medic.

Just my fanboy suggestions. Not really much else you can do with fire, honestly.

Upvote 0
Well the firebug already has a crowd control spraynpray weapon with the flamer.
I'd prefer to see a more 1-shot-massive-damage-that-also-leaves-specimens-burning gun to take on the big baddies.
Hm, bow and firearrows anyone? Or just a flaregun to copy tf2.

flaregun is the way to go

maybe 1 hit kill on clots, stalkers and crawlers on any difficulty while gorefast gets stunned and needs 2 shots to kill

similar to TF2, just faster to reload and maybe it could fly straight (or in very small arc)

holding 120 shots or so

basicaly the thing to use on single targets (oposed to flamethrower thats used on masses)

Upvote 0
How about the differences between, say, the Axe and the Katana? What are the roles of those weapons? The Axe is a cheaper, weaker version of the Katana.

And that was a poor design decision on TWI's part because they basically turned the Axe into the machete (IE, don't buy it unless you're poor).

Doing the same to the flamer would just not be a good idea.

Upvote 0