• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Relaxed Realism + Crosshairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

babokitty

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2008
Let me try putting this idea out there. It's may seem outlandish but bear with me here.

If you're going to do this relaxed realism thing with ironsight zoom, you might as well go the whole distance and do crosshairs too.

I understand the potential of drawing in the COD crowd with the zoom feature, but if you're going the greatest commercial success route, Counterstrike is bigger.

As many of you know, Counterstrike uses crosshairs + movement penalty to determine accuracy. This rewards quick reflexes, aim, and timing.

OK when I say Counterstrike, I mean Day of Defeat, because the recoil pattern in CS does not match up with RO.

I think by combining the COD style and DOD style aiming mechanism into a single "relaxed realism" mode and keeping the current RO style in hardcore mode has much potential.

-- Puts on Flame suit :)

wtf has ralaxed realism to do with crosshairs, fov zoom and cod?

its called relaxed realism and if its gonna be 10 times more hardcore than CoD's hardcore, there is no place for x-hairs there, not even killing floor has x-hairs and it was never supposed to be about realism

I hope TWI wont make any game with x-hairs... ever

Upvote 0
Gotta agree with Schneidzek and all the devs here guys... you all have been burned by companies like EA and Ubisoft too many times to realize that sometimes trusting a developer to deliver on its promises is a GOOD thing!

Besides, explain to me how you implement crosshairs in a game with free aim? There it settles it. No crosshairs, though that suggestion is pretty much blasphemous around these parts.

Upvote 0
Gotta agree with Schneidzek and all the devs here guys... you all have been burned by companies like EA and Ubisoft too many times to realize that sometimes trusting a developer to deliver on its promises is a GOOD thing!

Besides, explain to me how you implement crosshairs in a game with free aim? There it settles it. No crosshairs, though that suggestion is pretty much blasphemous around these parts.

Same as in the

Upvote 0
Besides, explain to me how you implement crosshairs in a game with free aim?

you take the aim rotator, convert it to a vector of the length of the set target distance for the weapon, add that vector to the muzzle location vector. Take the resulting point and convert it to a point on the canvas. Do that when the mouse is moved.

I actually have that lying around here somewhere in UScript for UE3 when i attempted to make a "IS substitute" when i havent had someone to model and animate me something quickly for real IS. Basically, IS was a crosshair with freeaim, hip was no crosshair. Worked like a charm ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.