• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti Exploit mechanic

Meismenotyou

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Denmark
I mentioned this in another thread and thought I would put it here as well.

Now I don't know much about scripting and other code working for games, but wouldn't it be possible to implement some kind of a mechanic that would kill/wound a player if the A.I. can't find a valid path to their target? All the exploits resolve about not being able to be reached by the specimens, so something that prevents players from going these places would solve most of these problems. It would even mean that mappers wouldn't need to use too much time on fixing every little spot that people use for easy mode gaming.

Your thoughts?

Uh, no. I refuse to be killed because some mapper can't make his maps correctly, like on Fortin or CastleAvernus where you can stand somewhere where the zeds SHOULD be able to reach you. Like, the top of the fort in Fortin - there's a laddder and sometimes one or two DO manage to use their heads and climb it, or the podium in Avernus which they SHOULD be able to walk right up to and behind to rape you but totally ignore. It's also a crutch for mappers to keep making these stupid mistakes.

The solution? Build the map correctly and stick admins on your server to ban the exploiters, not develop a crutch that will only result in in-game death and injury as players get killed for standing a spot the AI couldn't pathfind to because the mapper made his map poorly and didn't test it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are some good maps that only have a few exploits and they wouldn't have to waste too much time fixing everything. It would even fix the exploiting on TWI's own maps. The mappers would only have to close all the obvious errors and the smaller ones wouldn't/shouldn't make you worry about dying suddenly, since they usually are at unexpected places where you usually don't go. That's why I also mentioned wounding, since you would have time to get away if you should end up a place you where you shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Obviously you are a dickhead who doesn't have anything constructive to say.

No, I am not a mapper, but that doesn't mean I can't suggest something to fix exploits in the game.

hahaha now youre going to start name calling?

ok, first things first, if a specimen cant get to you, thats the fault of the mapper:

-they either didnt place pathnodes

-or they didnt put blocking volumes where necessary

i shouldnt be killed in game because a mapper is too lazy, or too noobish to do these standard things.

Upvote 0
You keep saying mappers who have exploits on their maps are lazy or noobish. I know it's already been stated in this thread but I'll say it again, THE OFFICIAL MAPS HAVE EXPLOITS. So are you calling TWI noobish and/or lazy?

I think it's a good idea to have players become wounded if the AI cannot find a valid path. Instantly killing a player is a little over the top in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll call you a dickhead for not adding ANYTHING to this topic and just being an arsehole with your first post.

So what this actually boils down to is that you are scared of dying because of sitting a place you shouldn't be or just by playing normally? Do you actually believe that the creations of lazy or noob mappers will actually become popular enough to really matter to most players? If there are huge errors with a map then people wouldn't play it unless beta testing for the mapper.

Now I don't know much about creating a map, but I can imagine it taking quite some time to find all the problems, especially if you can't always commit the required time to fix it because of other things. This means that people usually fix the biggest problems first and leave smaller things be until they get the time. These minor things are likely the exploits we see in game that people use for easy mode gaming.

So unless the map is still in beta stage, then no one should fear dying while playing normally (Normally as in not trying to get all kinds of places). Adding a mechanic like I suggest will only harm those who exploit these small problems with maps until it gets fixed.

Upvote 0
Drama drama drama.....

Anyway, I'd have always preferred if they left the lesser exploits in there(Offices water-cooler, WestLondon Office desk etc) and just changed the AI pathfinding so that they can actually attack an exploiter. Imagine how stupid they'd feel, sitting where they think they cannot be touched, then a big old Fleshpound flies out of nowhere and starts removing pieces of their face.

Upvote 0
Once, on manor, my team get to wave 7~8 just to see there're no zeds spawn NOT EVEN ONE. We spent like 10 mins or so, going around the map and still cant see anything.
Another time, on west london. There's only 1 zed left, but we wait too long before the trader door and still not see anything comming, so we go find him. Luckily, this time I use my comandos, and see a stalker has like 5% hp stuck at the red bus, 150m+ from the trader. Still, very frustration. And not just on west london. I've seen at least on 4 maps that stalker seem get stuck very often, even on highly regarded map like doom or moisley.
Now, if the system as you say is implemented in the game, in both case, we're all gonna die, because the zeds cant get to us. What a fair system.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll call you a dickhead for not adding ANYTHING to this topic and just being an arsehole with your first post.

So what this actually boils down to is that you are scared of dying because of sitting a place you shouldn't be or just by playing normally? Do you actually believe that the creations of lazy or noob mappers will actually become popular enough to really matter to most players? If there are huge errors with a map then people wouldn't play it unless beta testing for the mapper.

Now I don't know much about creating a map, but I can imagine it taking quite some time to find all the problems, especially if you can't always commit the required time to fix it because of other things. This means that people usually fix the biggest problems first and leave smaller things be until they get the time. These minor things are likely the exploits we see in game that people use for easy mode gaming.

So unless the map is still in beta stage, then no one should fear dying while playing normally (Normally as in not trying to get all kinds of places). Adding a mechanic like I suggest will only harm those who exploit these small problems with maps until it gets fixed.

so wait, you add this "mechanic" to the map in places you know that people will be exploiting? why not just fix the exploit right then and there?

Upvote 0
and how does this mechanic judge when the player is in this exploit spot? does it suddenly calculate:

"hey, specimen havent touched player 6 in over 5 minutes, he must be exploiting, proceed to kill now"

when really the guy is just running from his life for over 5 minutes while a bunch of specimen are following behind him.

Now, if the system as you say is implemented in the game, in both case, we're all gonna die, because the zeds cant get to us. What a fair system.

its a system that didnt get much thought put into it by a guy whos never opened UE, but calls me the dickhead. wheres the smiley for palm to forehead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Once, on manor, my team get to wave 7~8 just to see there're no zeds spawn NOT EVEN ONE. We spent like 10 mins or so, going around the map and still cant see anything.
Another time, on west london. There's only 1 zed left, but we wait too long before the trader door and still not see anything comming, so we go find him. Luckily, this time I use my comandos, and see a stalker has like 5% hp stuck at the red bus, 150m+ from the trader. Still, very frustration. And not just on west london. I've seen at least on 4 maps that stalker seem get stuck very often, even on highly regarded map like doom or moisley.

Why would it kill you in your first example? If nothing spawns then there aren't any specimens around and so they wouldn't look for a path to you.

I am quite sure there is something killing the last specimens after some time once the counter goes below 10 left. It doesn't work all the time though. I don't know what happens to a stalker's script/code when just standing there, but it sure doesn't look like it tries to find a path to a player unlike when someone is sitting in a spot they can't get to. (The stalker usually gets bugged when damaged with the AK, I am not sure about other weapons)

dextronaut -

No. I am talking about implementing this code/script/whatever into the game so it's always active. It would only kill or wound a player that the A.I. can't find a valid path to, so you can still kite them around or whatever since they still have a path to fellow/go unlike exploited place where the A.I. gets more or less stuck and can't do anything else than walking back and forth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would it kill you in your first example? If nothing spawns then there aren't any specimens around and so they wouldn't look for a path to you.

I am quite sure there is something killing the last specimens after some time once the counter goes below 10 left. It doesn't work all the time though. I don't know what happens to a stalker's script/code when just standing there, but it sure doesn't look like it tries to find a path to a player unlike when someone is sitting in a spot they can't get to. (The stalker usually gets bugged when damaged with the AK, I am not sure about other weapons)

dextronaut -

No. I am talking about implementing this code/script/whatever into the game so it's always active. It would only kill or wound a player that the A.I. can't find a valid path to, so you can still kite them around or whatever since they still have a path to fellow/go unlike exploited place where the A.I. gets more or less stuck and can't do anything else than walking back and forth.

i would NEVER base a script like that on the enemy AI. i dont know if youve noticed but the AI can be pretty stupid now and then. last thing i would want is to die because the AI is too stupid to come get me even though im sitting in the middle of a damn field in kf-farm.

Upvote 0