• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help with subtracting

Cheese Mo

Jun 1, 2009
Any info would be a great help.

I was working on my map last night which is coming along well, when I ran into a new problem with subtracting. I have a completed room that I would like to add a new room off of. The new room will be connected via a window. I made a cube the size I wanted the window to be and subtracted it from my room, it worked fine. I then porceeded to build a cube the size of the new room. I lined up the cube with the back of my window, which is about 20 pixels deep, and hit sutract. Instead of my room being added and removing the back part off the window, my room was added and it remove majior parts of the existing walls, ceiling and floors of the existing room and rooms below it. The new cube does not come into contact with any other brushes other then the window, but it still removed parts of other brushes. I tried building the new room in a remote area, which worked fine, however as soon as I relocated the new room to the back of the window and rebuilt the geomotry, the same thing happened, walls, ceilings and floors dissappered. I have many other rooms built the same way without this problem.

Any ideas???

Update..

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't know what happened!!

The problem is gone for now. I tried using the same cube again last night and relized that the textures where being added to the outside of the cube, not the inside. So the cube was subtracting around it instead of in it, almost like the cube was pulled inside out. So I made a new cube and tried again, and it worked fine. So for now, problem solved.

Upvote 0
I had the same same problem once, but since I know how to prevent bsp holes I dont think that was the matter. I made a builder brush an scaled the brush down afterwards, when i subtracted the brush, it cut into the next room as if the builder brush were bigger than it looked.

My solution was either, type in manually how large the builder brush has to be, or make a small builder brush 8*8*8 "build" it, and then scale it up.

// yeah maybe it was an Inside-out brush, in my case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0