• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better, more fluid movement

Hey guys! Just wanted to suggest some ideas about movement as I personally am finding it clumsy (or I'm too clumsy for the movement lol) Oh, and before I begin, I'd like to personally thank you for eliminating the horrors of "prone block".

I think the spacebar should be changed to jump/stand. For instance, if you're prone or crouched you can press the space key to immediately stand up. Easier access and best for tense situations.

Also, I think that much like the controls in CoD2 (only comparison, I promise!), you should be able to hop over short walls, sandbags, window sills, etc. as a real soldier would obviously be able to do so. I've lost count of the times I've needed to pop over a short wall to get away from enemy fire but can never seem to. (with full stamina, also) I find it clumsy that you can't get back into windows you might have hopped 2 feet from onto a rooftop. Now if there is already some way to do this easily, I've not figured it out yet.

Those are pretty much my only beefs with an otherwise great game. But I certainly think that improvements on movement need to be made to improve the immersive realism.

Also, Whats with the gaurd towers and other stilt-buildings but no ladders in sight? lol

Thanks alot! I hope you consider my movement suggestions :)

-T

haha yea, they are about the same. I wouldn't suggest popping over things, because a real soldier wouldn't be able to perform trackstar feats especially the average soldier with 40 lbs on his back. Perhaps the hop can go over small bumps that you get stuck on, and if the ledge is higher, you will climb over it (with a small expense in stamina of course). Even games like Day of defeat aren't realistic in terms of jumping (you literally hop onto window sills...I highly doubt the majority of soldiers are secretly ninjas)

Upvote 0
hehe yea, I hear ya. But by 'pop' I don't mean like gymnastic feats. I mean clambering over the obstacle if anything - not like launching over it, but I dunno, just 'popping' over it haha one leg first, then the other. And by 'short walls' I mean like... maybe 4 feet, 5 feet maybe? Not something you'd have to jump up to, grab ahold of and then climb over. Just something you could clamber over.

Upvote 0
haha @ the tank solution :p

I don't really care what sort of restrictions they put on it, at this point being able to even fall over a stack of sandbags would be an improvement lol I just curse everytime I go to pop over them and can't. Its just silly to me, having to go all the way around a stack of bags when they're only like 3 feet high lol

Upvote 0
I think for short ledges, they would just hop over it. For medium ledges, they would do a side roll where they bring over one leg and then the other (it would show up in first person view as a foward upward movement, and then a sideways movement). A tall ledge that's reachable would have you grab onto the ledge (like in Mario 64), and you can choose whether to climb it or not (perhaps implement a "peek" feature where you can hang onto the edge and peek over to see if anyone is gonna shoot at you). These features would be performed faster if you were sprinting and then used the space bar. I guess for tall ledges, they would land on their feet, and go into a crouch position for a second and then go back to normal running.

Upvote 0
I would imagine for the most part, it would be more CoD2-esque in that obstacles 2-3 feet or so wouldn't pose much difficulty to just step up and over or throw one leg over then the other - not saying those would be the animations I'd choose, but the principles are that you'd land on your feet. Other than that, ledges slightly higher - say a window sill for instance - you'd lift yourself up and over. It could even be based on where you've been hit - in fact I like that idea.

Also, they may have up to 40lbs of gear but you can easily compensate by a detriment to stamina.

Upvote 0
I think if it were sandbags probably up to your knees, you could probably just jump over it. If it were a little above your waist though, I highly doubt you could make a solid jump over it with 40 lbs of gear even if you had full stamina, so a short climb can be used (whether it be one leg over and then the other, or just a shorter climb). Of course this would be performed slightly slower and take up more stamina than the usual jump over an obstacle, but for tall ledges (like something up to or above your head), it would be slower than the short climb and would take up the most stamina. But of course your jump height and climb ability would be hindered by lack of stamina/injury

And I was thinking, since we are on the fluid movement section, I heard alot of people complain that the characters move like they have something up their ass. Maybe we can add some structure to the run. And perhaps add some minor details to the first person view while sprinting to fit real life sprinting (of course that's just extremely minor though)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I definitely agree with your points on heights and climbing speeds, takadi :)

As far as the butt-plugged running goes, I've heard people mention that also but I just don't see it lol And trust me, I've looked haha (I was more curious to see if there really was something protruding out of their asses, or if it was just a figure of speech ;) )

Upvote 0