• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Client-Side Hit Detection

Arcane

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
england
As a veteran player to Gears of War, which also utilises the UT Engine, hearing the phrase "Server-Side Hit Detection" has always sparked horrors in my mind. Anyone who has played pre-patched Gears of War will know what i'm talking about.

Now, whenever I join a server with a high ping, I notice thatI'm having to lead my shots in order to score the headshot I want. Obviously it's not as bad as it is on the Xbox as you get to choose servers and can join low-ping servers, but I was interested to know if this is something that can be changed, or is it built into the engine itself?

I think it's incredibly pointless to use any system or hybrid system that forces the server to detect hits, why can't it be client-side? At least with Gears the cover system meant that a client-side detection would cause some people who thought they were in cover to actually be gibbed because the host hit him before the client arrived behind cover, but in a game like this it would be great, as the enemies are AI players and therefore any client-side complaints would not affect them.

No big issue, but always nice to learn more about the game mechanics and such.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm that's actually a good counter. Didn't really think of that. Although you'd have similar problems server-side with ping times, if two simultaneous shots were fired it would always go to the player with the lower ping.

Not necessarily, if the engine fully implements dead reckoning then ping can become largely irrelevant. However, I don't imagine too many engines would wait for all potential weapons fire flags to be received.

Upvote 0
Not to mention you can't trust anything the client does thus shifting hit-detection to the client would be carte blanche for any hackers.

A hacker could easily rig up something so that every 'hit' sent out is seen as a headshot on the specimen it hit...

Thus a moron could be blasting Clots in the leg and making their heads pop...I've seen this before in a few older FPS games...

Upvote 0
If you've ever played Gunz, you'd know that client-side anything is a bad idea in online shooters. If you haven't, Gunz is a korean made 3rd person shooter MMO. Pretty much everything is client side in gunz, and while it's a fun game when no-one is hacking, when people are hacking, it's bad. Having an invincible person flying around with a rocket launcher that shoots 50 rockets per second with perfect accuracy can suck the fun out of a game real quick like.

That's a worst case scenario, but even with only hit detection client-side, there's no way to tell whether or not the packet coming in with "I hit the target" is legit or not, no matter how cryptic the packets are; hackers are tenacious, and would be especially so with KF given the 'leveling' system. As fun as persistent progression is in an online game, it attracts the most desperate of gamers with nothing to do with their free time.

Upvote 0