• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

G3 for Commando

Hackel

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Germany
Berserkers have the chainsaw, Support guys have the double barreled shotgun, Sharpshooters have the crossbow and Firebugs eventually get incendiary grenades. One thing the Commando is lacking right now is an alternative weapon to the Bullpup. A battle rifle like the G3 would be a logical step for a more expensive alternative. The G3 is used in the UK under the designation G3KA4. It's no longer in service with the army, but is still in use by the Metropolitan Police.

The G3 would help give the Commando a more poweful weapon for the final waves where the Bullpup is too weak against the tougher specimens.

Main specifications:

- Double the amount of damage then the Bullpup
- 20 round magazine
- Single/Auto firing modes

Wow probably the first decent MG suggestion i have seen...

I suppose give it a weight of 8 (same as the shotgun i believe) and commandos can drop using the shotgun for this, with the smaller mag size you'll probably have 200 rounds(10 clips) makes it less useful vs the small stuff but a good choice versus bigger targets...yea I am liking it

Upvote 0
I definitely like this idea. The Bullpup has always felt like more of a submachine gun than an assault rifle to me.
It'd also make me much happier to feel like more than a pack of angry bees when taking on fleshpounds and scrakes.

You can certainly add my support for this weapon. It'd be a good chunk of work for Tripwire, but, hey, that's what they're paid for.

Upvote 0
The Winchester is available from second wave on. This is a late game weapon, equivalent to Crossbow, Chainsaw, and double-barreled shotgun.

Depending on if you're using a perk, how aggressive you are in killing specimens, and if you find any weapons to sell, getting "late game weapons" can be very easy.

I agree, it'd be overpowered.
Unless they made it so Commando perks don't affect it at all.

Upvote 0
Depending on if you're using a perk, how aggressive you are in killing specimens, and if you find any weapons to sell, getting "late game weapons" can be very easy.

I agree, it'd be overpowered.
Unless they made it so Commando perks don't affect it at all.

And? By your reasoning, the hunting shotgun and chainsaw are 'too' easy to get, and something should be done about them. The logic doesn't apply.

Every other class gets a second-tier weapon (or in the case of the Berserker, third-tier), except the Commando, which is stuck with the Bullpup - a versatile tool that unfortunately just doesn't hold up well in harder modes, especially with the limited clip amount. The G3 gives an incentive to stay with the Commando - a higher power weapon that can easily eliminate weak mobs and give the Commando a decent stand against higher-ups like Scrakes and Fleshpounds. That way the Commando isn't made redundant by the Support and...well, really, Support class.

Upvote 0
And? By your reasoning, the hunting shotgun and chainsaw are 'too' easy to get, and something should be done about them. The logic doesn't apply.

Every other class gets a second-tier weapon (or in the case of the Berserker, third-tier), except the Commando, which is stuck with the Bullpup - a versatile tool that unfortunately just doesn't hold up well in harder modes, especially with the limited clip amount. The G3 gives an incentive to stay with the Commando - a higher power weapon that can easily eliminate weak mobs and give the Commando a decent stand against higher-ups like Scrakes and Fleshpounds. That way the Commando isn't made redundant by the Support and...well, really, Support class.

They are too easy, as level 3 support I get the hunting shotgun after the first round.

As per the thread I'm not sure about twice the firepower of the pup. I think a nice HK91 would do much better. A 5 round box mag so it doesn't hold as much as the lever action, and only semi auto fire so it doesn't infringe upon the bullpup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see why not, but double the damage and an auto fire mode seems kind of overpowered. Not sure about the actual weapon itself but to compensate maybe it could have intense recoil.

The original does. Battle rifles are essentially unusable in full auto, which would only be useful at extreme close range.

I'd rather see the FAL. The G3's in too many games as it is; the right arm of the free world needs some love too.

Upvote 0
They are too easy, as level 3 support I get the hunting shotgun after the first round.

As per the thread I'm not sure about twice the firepower of the pup. I think a nice HK91 would do much better. A 5 round box mag so it doesn't hold as much as the lever action, and only semi auto fire so it doesn't infringe upon the bullpup.

An expensive, semi-auto only rifle with half the power and capacity of the lever action? Sign me up!

For the record, one bullpup hit does 16-26 damage, while one lever action round does 110-140.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An expensive, semi-auto only rifle with half the power and capacity of the lever action? Sign me up!

For the record, one bullpup hit does 16-26 damage, while one lever action round does 110-140.

Well what I was going for was more powerful than the lever action, but with less ammo.

EDIT: The FAL would be nice, but 20 rounds per magazine is a bit much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well what I was going for was more powerful than the lever action, but with less ammo.

Well, that would fall into the realm of sharpshooter, really.

EDIT: The FAL would be nice, but 20 rounds per magazine is a bit much.

I think it would all balance out. That's half the capacity of the bullpup, and it would probably have three times the felt recoil, making it completely uncontrollable in anything but 2-3 round bursts. It'd also be presumably a lot heavier and expensive than the bullpup; all these drawbacks only for double the power and maybe a bit more accuracy.

Hell, at that point it sounds like a downgrade.

Upvote 0
You do realise that with the stats you gave the G3, it would be bloody pointless.

Double the damage but half the magazine capacity? Rofl Wtf is the point in that haha, Bullpup = better.

The bullpup does roughly 40 damage a bullet, 40 x 40 = 1600, ergo you are doing 1600 damage with a single magazine, and the bullpup has a capacity of 10 magazines. and 1600 x 10 = 16,000.

10 mag = 16,000 damage
100 mag = 160,000 damage
1000 mag = 1,600,000 damage

It takes on average 3 or so seconds to empty one magazine.

3s = 1 mag
30s = 10 mag
300s (5 minutes) = 100 mag
3000s (50 minutes) = 1000 mag

I've already emptied at least 1000 or so magazines, and im only at 1.7 mill damage with the bullpup.

Damnit i went offtopic :D but anyway, i'd love a G3, a full version anyway, no fancy spec-ops butt-plate/stock But with the spec's you gave it it isnt an upgrade at all.

Give it 90 damage a bullet with 20 shot capacity, and it will be worth it.

Upvote 0