• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why Stalingrad?

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Personally, I was hoping that if Tripwire weren't going to do a new war (ww1, korea maybe), that it would encompass every theatre, west, east and pacific.

So whats the reasoning behind limiting it only to 1942-1943?

This seems like a step back, I mean I thought there'd be more than RO1, not less.

I understand that for a singleplayer campaign it makes sense to focus on a pivotal moment of the eastern front, but why limit multiplayer aswell? Surely people will want to make and play maps that include other years of the war, and have other weapons and vehicles?

does not compute.

Maybe it gives TWI a chance to release battle packs that will focus on other areas?

hopefully.

Zennousha said:
Well, we don't know much if anything about the multiplayer yet. For all we know, it could encompass much more

Well from the only information that has been released it seems as if its restricted to a small time frame.

"Focusing on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943 the game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history"

Upvote 0
Stalingrad is way overdone, but TW is trying to appeal to the masses and I guess naming off a popular battle is a way to do it...

Contemptible troll. That's 13 of 13 posts so far that are flame, aggressive, negative or rude. (with the possible exception of the one about the mac)

Stalingrad has not actually been 'done' in any meaningful sense yet. From the fps games that have addressed the subject so far the range has been from 'meh' (CoD 2) through to totally execrable (CoD 5).

TW are not a 'lowest common denominator' type of company in my opinion and I doubt you will find many people on or off these forums who believe they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A guy with a Soviet related sig/avatar/username is disappointed about TWI's choose for theatre? Oh the irony. Or then you're a very clever troll.

Yes, Stalingrad is one of the most well-known scenarios in media, but as Nestor said there is not a single FPS game that portrays the war without generic or bad quality. It's quite obvious for TWI to continue with this path anyways considering their knowledge and experience with the scenario.

In historical sense I still find Stalingrad as very interesting theatre no matter how many times I've got to hear about it. I'd love to play it through in an immersive game.

Upvote 0
Stalingrad is way overdone, but TW is trying to appeal to the masses and I guess naming off a popular battle is a way to do it...

Stalingrad has never been done properly. In CoD it's just a sideshow before your next landing on Omaha beach. No FPS has ever focused exclusively on Stalingrad and certainly no other FPS has ever let you play from the German perspective in a single player campaign.

Upvote 0
Contemptible troll. That's 13 of 13 posts so far that are flame, aggressive, negative or rude. (with the possible exception of the one about the mac)

Stalingrad has not actually been 'done' in any meaningful sense yet. From the fps games that have addressed the subject so far the range has been from 'meh' (CoD 2) through to totally execrable (CoD 5).

TW are not a 'lowest common denominator' type of company in my opinion and I doubt you will find many people on or off these forums who believe they are.

Lol...you tell him Nestor...lol..

Stalingrad is probably the greatest battle of WWII therefore deserves to be done in style something which Infinity Ward and Treyarch really did'nt do with the cut down versions they offered..

Upvote 0
Most movies and games have shown how the US Army saved Europe and won the war... the importance of the Eastern Front has been greatly overlooked. Stalingrad was in many ways the turning point of the war... and also, I believe that the Eastern Front still has a lot to offer to the gaming community. I personally look forward to more combat in Stalingrad :)

Upvote 0
barakas said:
I understand that for a singleplayer campaign it makes sense to focus on a pivotal moment of the eastern front, but why limit multiplayer aswell? Surely people will want to make and play maps that include other years of the war, and have other weapons and vehicles?
Well everyone is fixated on Stalingrad first major Soviet win against the Germans as well as having pretty brutal battles. Stalingrad is huge battle you can easily have 100+ maps based on various scenarios and areas this does not include the brutal battles in the rest of the huge offensive that was Operation Blau.

ButchCassidy said:
Stalingrad is probably the greatest battle of WWII
Battle of Kursk (Operation Zitadelle) had the greatest battles-:D

barakas said:
Personally, I was hoping that if Tripwire weren't going to do a new war (ww1, korea maybe), that it would encompass every theatre, west, east and pacific.
Personally I love the Ost-front (not many games cover the Ost-front at all much less exclusively like RO) I really don't like modern or post war games. I think alot of people would not move on to post-war RO as post war is not as enticing as afully fledged world war. I would reserve judgement a on any WW I game especially a realistic one due to the first World War's typical stalemate trench warfare scenarios as well as a lack of "modern tank" warfare and other similar reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly I really don't care what type of game tripwire makes, i dont really play RO because its a WW2 game. I play it because of the gameplay, the community of mature gamers (for the most part) , the unrivaled tank combat, taking into account its an infantry game, and yes... the freeaim. I would like to see sometime in the future a modern day war game from Trip.

Upvote 0
Imo, the choice of theater is really wise. You can hve awesome infantry type maps, combined arms and tank combat maps. Whats not to like. :confused:

I dont want another game that features D-Day or what have you...

Its not just the theatre, its that the game only covers 1942-1943, which means many weapons, important battles and vehicles will not be able to be included.

They could have kept the theatre, and I don't see why they had to limit to only 1942-1943, they could still have focussed mainly on stalingrad, but allowed more scope for updates that expand on further compaigns.

Unless they are going to release updates that expand the years of the game, but it seems odd to explicitly rule out which years will be in the game.

Upvote 0