• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Constant freezing?

IanTheM1

May 14, 2009
Normally, I get a random hardlock when playing games maybe once or twice a week. I've always assumed this was nvidia's awful driver crashing, so never really cared too much.

But now Killing Floor constantly does this. I get to play for about ten minutes, then it locks up. Every single time, sooner or later. Anyone have a clue what the heck's going on? The majority of the advanced graphical options are already turned off.

Important: I simply cannot upgrade my drivers. Anything past 175.19 is incompatible with my 7600 GS, no matter what nvidia claims.

if you get it quickly with kf then most likely its your processor overheating.

Try getting a program to monitor temperatures.
No dice. I got RivaTuner and watched the core temperature. It occasionally peaked, but never stayed, at 71 degrees. When I froze, it was sitting at 68.

And again, I get this every so often on other games, but never this regularly. Certainly if it was the card overheating, I'd notice on TF2, L4D, or such. This type of crash has even happened while on the menu screen for City of Heroes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Set the sound to Safe Mode and see if it still occurs as often.
I started thinking along similar lines, so I went and updated my sound card drivers (I'm using an Auzen XPLOSION 7.1). Then I went and tried running on Safe Mode. The crash happened extremely fast this time.

On the plus side, seems like I've narrowed down the cause of the problem...

Upvote 0
Try running the game at reduced settings, even really crappy ones to see if it becomes more stable. Sometimes just toning down some of the heavier options can get you out of freeze mode.

In my experience with games crashing on me it's generally due to my chips overheating or brownouts. My cpu's are always fine but my graphics chips/memory get really toasty so you can try checkng yours. One way is if you have a temp monitor, the other was is to put your fingers on the mem chips / vid card heatsink to feel how hot it's getting. If it's incredibly hot that's ok, but if it's so hot that you notice 'damn, this thing will burn up!' then its an issue.. I use heatsinks on my ram and I have a Zalman cooler which keeps my temp low.

The other prob I get is brown outs. When the card / cpu start pushing hard then they draw more power and if your power supply can't handle it then bad things happen (usually a reboot or shutdown). To find out if that's your problem then you need to free up some amps by unplugging useless items like dvd/cd players, extra hdds or power hungry usb devices that aren't running off an externally powered hub.

Those are just some starting points.

Upvote 0
Tentatively speaking, it seems like lowering something or another may have fixed it. (I put everything on Normal and turned off nearly anything advanced.)

Of course, this doesn't speak well for for my identical, but completely random freezes across other games. (Though it probably explains why I can barely make it ten minutes through Dark Sector...)

Upvote 0