Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Oldih, Wikipedia states that approximately 11000 mkb 42 rifles were produced. Where do you think they tested them? Shooting ranges in Germany? No, on the eastern front. It goes on to say the German soldiers approved of the weapon.

So we need reliable statistics on how many were produced in that period and how many were sent to Stalingrad.
From that we can determine how they distributed them amongst squads.

Many prototype weapons are tested directly in war zones without the need to wait for restructuring of the supply system.

Last edited by Tiger2; 05-10-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Glorious IS-2 Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger2 View Post
Oldih, Wikipedia states that approximately 11000 mkb 42 rifles were produced.
And Germany had enough field gear leftover from WW1 to supply several minor nation's armies, especially entrenchment tools and such. USA had also enough leftover from WW1 to supply several nation's armies with ****, and noticable majority of them were reissued in WW2. That still doesn't mean everyone wore them.

So yes, to see if it is worth modelling or not would require very much investigating, and if there were only, E.G. 1-6 used in Stalingrad it's not really worth modelling. Even under 100 it would be too rare to have logically ingame. Add 400-600 and then we might have some reason to do so, but when it just says "sent to eastern front" it pretty much mean there was quite large area to issue them in the first place.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM

I am confident that Tripwire interactive will do historical research about how many of these rifles were used in Stalingrad.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 PM

I will miss the STG-44. Sometimes I do prefer the MP-40/41, but I liked the STG. It was the only rifle in its class on the eastern front to, so it will feel like something is missing.

Hopefully there will be G43s. Will there?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralfst3r View Post
I remember stories about using hipped MG42's to clear rooms in Stalingrad, but I don't have any references or sources to link
Well these guys arent afraid of hip firing them haha
LAWL

Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I remember stories about using hipped MG42's to clear rooms in Stalingrad, but I don't have any references or sources to link
I've heard of that too. They had to use them that way because of a shortage of SMG's.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM

========quote=========
My wife and I spoke to Prince Alfred von Habsberg zu Hohenhausen and his wife for 1 hour at the Weekend of Heroes gathering in 2004.
A few of the questions were directly about this picture in your book. (Actually, the picture is a still (1 frame) from some period camera footage.) I asked what was the main SMG weapon he and his men used during the Stalingrad battle, he said "MP-41." I asked if any of his men were issued the MKb 42 Assault Rifles during the battle, he said he knows of none being issued or used in the units he was severing in at that time.
Then I asked about the hat he was wearing in the photo, I stated that the M-43 field cap he had on in the picture was introduced in June of 1943, 7-8 months later than the photo was hand label, he said to me "the photo must have been label wrong and could not be from the Stalingrad battle."
Sidenote: The Volgograd State panoramic museum "Stalingrad Battle" has no captured MKb 42 (or 43 version) Assault Rifles on display or in their collection.
Also, excepted for this claim have not seen one photo or written reference that the MKb 42 Assault Rifle was at the battle of Stalingrad.

As we know, there were only some stray weapons around in January and around 8 000 machine rifles first in July 1942.
So the weapon can not have existed other than as a stray test weapon at the time when the battle of Cholm occured.
The large-scale tests on the troops were carried out not until the spring of 1943, a whole year later, by the SS-division Wiking. 20 000 MKb42(H) was being delivered in April to Heeresgruppe Nord. The results from these tests were so good that three army generals recommended Hitler to start serie manufacture the weapon.
========quote=========
Some info from around the internet, trustable or not.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 AM

Default Does it really matter..

The realism we love about this game is obviously twofold.
1. is the gameplay which most players are attracted to

2.Is the historical correctness of the game, which is a special interest
area for a minority.

Right or Wrong?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 AM

There is no problems to include both. And there really should not be. But I argue as my opinion, that without historical accuracy, the game really can not be sound. The historical accuracy offers the "stage" to realistic gameplay. Of course the gameplay can be realistic without a realistic historical setting, but then it would not be a (semi)realistic war game depicting the battle of Stalingrad. But some (semi)realistic shooter about some imaginationary war.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 AM

Well i think huge part of players share the same interest to ww2.
Otherwise we could just play American Army or something else.

It allways ruins my movie expirience when they have used some cheap tricks
and used modern-tanks or wrong tanks or something else which ruins the authentic of the movie, because it was too hard to get correct one.

And as its easier in gameworld to get correct tanks/weapons to correct places as you don't need to borrow them from some museum in Russia or France, it will be even more unforgivable to use wrong ones.

Thats why i like TW because they don't have that kind of "Well, 75% of consumer will not notice it so its, ok" attitude.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi View Post

Thats why i like TW because they don't have that kind of "Well, 75% of consumer will not notice it so its, ok" attitude.

Seconded.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Even if we have to sacrifice some of the fanbase who will be dissapointed without their favourite guns, full historical accuracy in the game is one of the key aspects which I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Kettch View Post
And the MG-34 is better than the MG-42
Yeh single shot ftw baby!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
As long as they make the Germans look fat it shouldn't be a problem -

YouTube - Sturmfeuer MG-42
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
he said "MP-41."
propbably Mp-41 (r) 9mm converted ppsh-41 with 32 box magazine
Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3terioNation View Post
Yeh single shot ftw baby!
Or the hipshot Saved me many, many times.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Too right man!

Ive killed more peeps with the 34 then the 42!

I hate the site picture, and for me it seems too inaccurate to use effectively!