• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map help needed

gautrek

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007
Leicester UK
I hope someone can help me out here.
I am trying to locate a map which contains all the vehicles on it from both sides.Winter and summer.I would just like a flat map with all the vehicles on it.
As i want to start messing about with the vehicle skins.
It would save me no end of grief if i could find a map like this.
Or can anyone knock me one up.

Please don't tell me to make one as i am having enough trouble getting my skins in the editor as it is,and i'm to old and lifes to short for me to get my head round mapping at the moment.

TIA guys

Problem is that you need to add new vehicle skins codewise. One would have to make a new vehicle out of the existing ones codewise and change the texture for it for you. That has to be done for each vehicle and the codefiles will have to be embedded into the map or added seperately (which means you get a map file and x amount of code files to make it all work). There's a few people out there that can do it, just hope one of those feels up for it and does it ;)

Upvote 0
well if what you want is some subracted space with all the vehilces in it then it is a quick process to tdo this.

If you've been playing with the editor already then you should be familiar enough with it to follow these instructions.

Open the editor. Open the file menu and save it as RO-TankSkinsmap or similar.

Down the left hand side there is a toolbar. Find the make cube button (its got a grey cube on it). Right click on this button. There are some properties fields displayed. Enter 4096 for the height, width and depth. press the build button in the corner of the box.

You should see a red wire frame box displayed. This is the build brush, and its a template for the shape you want to use. A little further down the toolbox there is four buttons with varoius blue symbols on them. Find the one that says "Subtract" when you hold your mouse over it. Press this button. A large void will appear with grey walls. This is now "space" into which you can add things.

On the top row of tools above the main window there is a button with a chess pawn icon on it. Press this button. It will open the actor class browser. Its a list of all the placeable items that can be put into a level.

Find the SVehicleFactory entry and expand it. Find the ROVehicleFactory and expand that. Now you should see a list like this.

Slelect a vehcle name so thats its blue like the uni carrier in the above pic.

Go to the big grey void and right click on the floor. A menu will pop up. Find the entry Add"such and such vehicle factory" here. select this entry and the vehicle factory will spawn at that point. Repeat for all the other vehicles. They dont spawn with Turrets..

Save your map.

Go to the top toolbar and press the build button.

Upvote 0
I have managed to add my new skin to one of the vehicle factories.
But when i play the game from the editor i get the following messages in the log file.
failed to load 'null'can't resolve package name
failed to load 'class none' can't resolve package
Plus my new skin doesn't show up.

Now i don't know what this package is.
I assume that the package contains all the skins and mesh details per map.
How do i make this package and where do i save it to.
I have my new skin saved in the texture list in the editor.
:confused:

Upvote 0
Not sure what good all that would do without lighting :D :p

and possibly some spawns for people to run around the tanks when they're there.

Basically I think it would be better if you explained exactly what you need the map for - what kind of messing around?

Yes I know :)

Gautrek you could do the same thing but start by opening one of the Tutorial levels made by tripwire. Stick some tanks in. Then you have lighting, players starts etc. and could load it up and run around.

But to get new skins on the tanks does require coding new tank classes as DeV pointed out above. Putting the textures in the texture browser like you did wont put them on the tanks. Im not really sure how to do the coding tho. It could be as simple as opening the relevant .uc (unreal class) file in a text editor and changing the skin/texture references to yours, and recompiling using the "UCC.exe make" command in a batch file. If you do, make sure you create new classes and save them in a new package called GautrekTankSkins.u or similar.

You should import the textures into UED and save them in a package file of your own. Don't edit or add to any existing packages or you will cause conflicts in the game. Call the package something like GautrekTankSkins.utx. You could (not essential) use groups in the package like SummerSkins, SnowSkins, TigerSkins, FunnySkins ( Not sure what effect your going for):) to organise them better.

Also go to the Unrealwiki website and search for UCC. It will help you to get a handle on compiling new classes. Not sure if you've done any other coding, but you should also look at how to extend exisiting classed, how to structure the files in the redorchestra folder so that UCC.exe can see them, how to edit the redorchestra.ini file so that UCC.exe knows which files to compile. UCC.exe may also need you to copy steam.dll from the steam folder into the redorchestra/system folder. It does for me.

Sorry if this is confusing, theres not enough space to go right into it but hopefully it helps out.

Also make link to this thread and post it in the coding section of the forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0