• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Any good mapping tutorials out there?

I'm new to mapping myself (started about a month ago with zero prior experience). I went through Kuebic's excellent 9-part tutorial to get started, and from there on I just began building my own map slowly.

The best advice I can give you, is whenever you've created something in your map (a room, corridor, floor, ceiling or whatever), open up one of the official Tripwire maps and then find a room that is similar to what you've just done, and then study in detail how they decorated it.

My first room just had linear walls with uniform textures. It worked, but it looked awfully boring, flat and completely lacked dynamics. So I thought how did Tripwire do this? Then openend Biotics lab and was overwhelmed with how much detail their walls had, realizing that they did not just slap textures on a flat surface and then forget about it. They gave it shape and form by using rotated pillars, inverted gratings, pipes and all sorts off other creative things.

Basically by studying the official maps you will very quickly learn and understand how you can use things in creative ways that they were not originally intended, to create really interesting effects that makes your map come to life. It eats up a ton of time adding all these decorative elements to your map, but in the end it really is worth it.

Oh and also study how they use blocking volumes, because many custom maps I've played you get stuck everywhere you go because people don't create proper blocking. Nearly everything that has edges should be wrapped in a blocking volume that prevents players from getting stuck. It can be crazy boring work to do but it pays off in the end :D

Upvote 0
once you build the map you then click the publish button, this will copy your may into the published folder in your documents/mygames/kf2 etc..

You then move this to your online server and add the map to you game.ini

NB once published it will also show in your maplist for single player so you can test it ingame

Upvote 0