• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Difference between BSP and the static meshes

FanBoyGamer

May 17, 2015
Hey there guys, I'm new to mapping and modding in general.
So I've been looking at tutorials and saw a couple of things that's a little confusing.
I've seen people use the BSP to makes rooms and the world space, but I've also seen and used myself so far the static meshes.
So my question is what's the difference between them and are there any advantages/disadvantages on using the, and which would you recommend I stick with?

BSP has been and may continue to be the original way level designers had created maps, they can be a little screwy due to their build reliant nature. Essentially, make a shape, add it to the world, rebuild, and it's there.
Staticmeshes are almost the same, but they are an actual resource that gets stored on your harddrive as it's own resource, or perhaps in a pack of other resources, and eventually into video memory. They can be exported, imported, you can apply textures to them, make them move, give them physical properties, etc... Essentially you can give way more detail using staticmeshes. BSP does work, still, but using more powerful 3d software to produce what could have been BSP is a lot more functional and efficient, perse.

In short: It doesn't matter, it all depends on what you have available, and what you think will turn out better.
Okay, that's a lie, you can get away with generating rooms, and the playable shape of a map using BSP, but definitely not finer details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey there guys, I'm new to mapping and modding in general.
So I've been looking at tutorials and saw a couple of things that's a little confusing.
I've seen people use the BSP to makes rooms and the world space, but I've also seen and used myself so far the static meshes.
So my question is what's the difference between them and are there any advantages/disadvantages on using the, and which would you recommend I stick with?

I am not a fan of BSP, the engine feels limited and to frustrating having to rebuild them constantly and modeling that it just becomes a head ache for me personally.

However BSP has advantages over the modular meshes such as more texture options and light customization for how you want things to look. They are useful for more advanced things which I don't think community modders really need to use.

The static meshes work more like lego's for making a KF2 map less time consuming but a little limited to the level layout design, while the BSP options are more of something you have to manually type in and get exact measurements for something which can become very time consuming. (unless there are better ways that are faster and less time consuming I haven't found them)

So I suggest sticking with the static modulars for the sake of simplicity and less time. But if you want to try using BSP for some areas then go for it.

Upvote 0
The static meshes work more like lego's for making a KF2 map less time consuming but a little limited to the level layout design, while the BSP options are more of something you have to manually type in and get exact measurements for something which can become very time consuming. (unless there are better ways that are faster and less time consuming I haven't found them)

Geometry mode

Upvote 0