• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 What will be the future of red orchestra 2?

Bunny monster

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
I was wondering, what would be the future of this game, red orchestra 1 had lots of contents more than we can even imagine compared to red orchestra 2. I asking myself what can we do to make this game better. I was thinking to make a programme in colaboration with the devs and skillful forum members to help with the game development, they teach us what to do and we do it. It sounds easy enough, if we jump over the payment problems and lack of initiative and things like that but hopefully people will see the good side of this proposal.

If anyone played the Immersion overhaul mutator, we could get all the good ideeas from it and put them in the original game as a patch, plus the weapons and all the other stuff. Sounds fair enough, but if the devs are busy with Killing floor 2 who will do it, thats why I said the thing above, that we should do it, we need just to be thought how. If this would work we would make a huge impact on the red orchestra community.

I was brainstorming with some friends on ideeas of how to make red orchestra more accesible to the masses to make people play it and I thought, why not make it like team fortress 2? Add items such as: guns, maybe open a red orchestra market where you can level up and things like that and buy the gun you want in game, add different types of uniforms in accordance with the time period of the battle and the match itself, maybe add gender, I saw pictures of the russian army that both man and women fought alongside to defeat the nazis, maybe this happened in all armies.

I want to ask tripwire this, why not make red orchestra a game about all modern time periods, I mean why not add mods, which will become maybe future expansions of all modern conflicts such as: world war 1, korean war, maybe vietnam, afghanistan. With this people won't have an issue playing red orchestra because they don't like world war 2 or things like that, the style of gameplay is great but why limit ourselves to this, why can't we make a difference in the abundant market of call of duty (same modded copy of the original game).

If you have any other thoughts please share them, but my really great hope is that one day red orchestra will evolve into something like Team fortress and have all the wonderful stuff that can be traded, like adding medals to your costume or an extra ammo pouch, realistic stuff that would've also happen in ww2.

I was wondering, what would be the future of this game, red orchestra 1 had lots of contents more than we can even imagine compared to red orchestra 2. I asking myself what can we do to make this game better. I was thinking to make a programme in colaboration with the devs and skillful forum members to help with the game development, they teach us what to do and we do it. It sounds easy enough, if we jump over the payment problems and lack of initiative and things like that but hopefully people will see the good side of this proposal.

Okay, well first of all RO1 was a different engine. If you look at the detail of weapons, soldiers and such you will notice that some parts are edgy and also the textures look more worn out. Creating an extra weapon for RO1 therefore meant much less development time than now with RO2. If games become more detailed it becomes increasingly difficult for to match the high standards.
Think back at the voices for Darkest Hour, the British and the Americans, you will notice background noise with them, something that was accepted back then. Today with games becoming more and more like movies with human actors, you can't allow flaws like this anymore.

Even if TWI handed out all the stuff to the community, it still wouldn't help. The big mass of RO2 players are no longer veterans from RO Mod and Ostfront, the majority are players who are genuinely interested in WWII and have swapped for RO2 as Call of Duty is currently not going for WWII.
A small amount of the entire RO2 community is capable of wielding the SDK.

If anyone played the Immersion overhaul mutator, we could get all the good ideeas from it and put them in the original game as a patch, plus the weapons and all the other stuff. Sounds fair enough, but if the devs are busy with Killing floor 2 who will do it, thats why I said the thing above, that we should do it, we need just to be thought how. If this would work we would make a huge impact on the red orchestra community.

Absolutely not. The IOM is too realistic for a good amount of players. They don't like it that they no longer are capable of moving so fast and especially weapons can no longer be leveled up. "****'s obnoxious boy! I can't get my new kickass perks and attachments for my gun!"
40-1 hosts three servers: Eastern Front Campaign, Pacific Campaign and an IOM. The IOM is not really populated whilst the ranked, leveling servers are almost always 65/64 when looking at them in the server browser.

I was brainstorming with some friends on ideeas of how to make red orchestra more accesible to the masses to make people play it and I thought, why not make it like team fortress 2? Add items such as: guns, maybe open a red orchestra market where you can level up and things like that and buy the gun you want in game, add different types of uniforms in accordance with the time period of the battle and the match itself, maybe add gender, I saw pictures of the russian army that both man and women fought alongside to defeat the nazis, maybe this happened in all armies.

Let's split this in two, first the weapon market. This reminds me of Heroes and Generals which allows, actually forces you to buy your equipment with your soldier's salary. Additionally you can use real cash to get an advantage.
The big issue with buying weapons is that you are not a mercenary, you are fighting in huge mass armies and your weaponry was based on what your regiment or even just squad's duty was. German J

Upvote 0
Yea I get you, but I was thinking maybe to add some kind of system to implement trading, to somehow make red orchestra 2 a free 2 play game. So that more players would join in. Maybe the trading system would work, differently like if you play on a specific map you are given the loadout. And also you receive, maybe a game currency, so you would spend it on a weapon that you want it too, but these weapons would be rare, I heard they did such thing in ww2, for japanese officers who bought american and german weapons especially the officers. Maybe this thing could be done, like adding: hungarian, romanian, croatian mercenaries, so that people would need to play more to get a higher rank, in order to unlock more stuff.

This is a gold mine, we just need to dig it, but seriously if red orchestra, were free 2 play think of the possibilities. Would be nice to have a market where you can get: camouflage for snipers, so that you need to play a lot to master the game. Just think of the leveling mechanic, now it sounds terrible but think if it were a ladder so that you would play against players with the same rank as you and also would trade with them to get in the top. I would love to see tradables such as: gas masks, different types of uniforms, create your own avatar, more customability for weapons, like modifying the sights as you want them to be, modifying recoil, things like that, tank paintjob.

Also we have the war theatre match were you start battles and continue fighting till one sides wins, why not make these actual servers, I mean add more players to the game 200-300 per match, make them as an online campaign. You enlist in the red army or in the german army, here comes a questionable choice, after you enlist got your gun and all of that what would you do if you get currency, how would you implement this to make red orchestra a free 2 play game. I mean the mercenary ideea could function somehow, but again we would need to spend the currency we earn on something. I am thinking about this, players that are active in-game and play a lot would be ww2 aces, right, so they would receive the best weaponry, so you would have to play the game and actually be good at it to gain access to tradable stuff. I would love to see custom voices for the game, maybe if anyone played rainbow 6 there was a feature where if you had a camera you could transpose yourself in-game as a character.

But I wonder, do you really have to be a mercenary to get yourself a weapon back in ww2 different from the one you were supplied by the army, couldn't you buy yourself one?

Upvote 0
Yes I know but what to they have in common? They are games, also if I remember corectly, Heroes and generals a free 2 play game is more popular than red orchestra and why is that? Because its free, I don't necesarily say make it free, I want a game workshop where weapons, items could be added to soldiers. They first said they will add an inventory to the game, now they removed it, so why can't they bring it back and make the game much more intense?

Upvote 0
Heroes and Generals has larger maps, features a lot more vehicles and especially as aerial warfare. The maps are incredibly huge, however there is only a certain amount of players allowed to be on the battle field at any given time. In RO2/RS you do not need to wait for a comrade to fall in order to rejoin the battle.

Now about the Free2Play, yeah, it is free, that was one of the reasons I could simply click on Play NOW, however the fact that you can invest real money in order to buy better weapons and no need to wait for a certain rank makes it less appealing to me. I'm in general not a big fan of unlocks in 1st person shooters.

Also keep in mind, you can heal yourself in H&G, you have a crosshair and you have a big health bar. It takes nearly an entire magazine of the MP40 to make a Yank bite the dust. That is appealing to the folks from Call of Duty who want a Unreal Tournament set in WWII.

H&G is nevertheless a nice game, but it is more like a mixture of Counterstrike and Battlefield series.

Upvote 0
Okay, you obviously overheard what I said before. RO1 had a different engine, a lot of the RO Mod could be ported over. RO2 uses the UE3, so they basically needed to do all from scratch. Vehicles feature animations inside, RO1 at max had a turning steering wheel.
RO1 weapons are way less detailed thus needed less production time, RO2 weapons are detailed, need several additional animations and most importantly: Need people who know the tools and are willing to sacrifice time.

And no in general why RO1 was popular:

* Realistic weapon and damage physics
* No unlock system
* No trade system
* Profited from Call of Duty 2 released 2005, WWII hype started
* WWII game on PC, Call of Duty 3 released in 2006 only on consoles
* Big battles, first 32 and then 50 players, on ambient maps
* Eastern Front: No Yankees saving the world
* Good graphics (back then)

Upvote 0
And no in general why RO1 was popular:

* Realistic weapon and damage physics
* No unlock system
* No trade system
* Profited from Call of Duty 2 released 2005, WWII hype started
* WWII game on PC, Call of Duty 3 released in 2006 only on consoles
* Big battles, first 32 and then 50 players, on ambient maps
* Eastern Front: No Yankees saving the world
* Good graphics (back then)

+ great (team)tanking system
+ great combined arms maps like Berenzina 1941
+ a lot of details: reloading of an empty magazine, sound for pull out your ne magazine
+ no super fast arcadish gameplay: it was perfect for tactical gaming
+ Ostfront from 1941-45
+ Authentic weapon layout for every map (no StG-44 in Stalingrad e.g.)
+ Great Mods like DH, MN and CC (RO1 becomes WW II 1940-1945)
+ a good number of vehicles and and tanks

Upvote 0
* Mappers choose load-out
* 1st person full body awareness
* 3rd and 1st person movement sync
* 1st person shadow
* updated campaign mode:
- maps played in reserve
- territories need multiple maps won to be captured
- surrender and retreat options
* uniform customization such as helmet, foliage etc. for winter, fall and summer maps.

Upvote 0
I once imagined a WW2 version of Planetside 2. Essentially it'd be like RO2 but if the map was the size of Skyrim (something like 10 square miles) or even bigger with hundreds of players on each team.

Then you could have campaign servers that would essentially be able to allow you to fight for every farm in Normandy, every minor town in Russia, everything. At best your team would advance a few miles a day and after many months the server would finally end as one side reaches Berlin/Moscow or equivalent.

Upvote 0
I once imagined a WW2 version of Planetside 2. Essentially it'd be like RO2 but if the map was the size of Skyrim (something like 10 square miles) or even bigger with hundreds of players on each team.

Then you could have campaign servers that would essentially be able to allow you to fight for every farm in Normandy, every minor town in Russia, everything. At best your team would advance a few miles a day and after many months the server would finally end as one side reaches Berlin/Moscow or equivalent.
Oh god the optimizations struggle for that would be horrible....

Upvote 0