• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam summer sale 2014

Crusher

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Belgium
So far I'm not really impressed by the discounts going on, while past year 75% was all over the place for now it seems a lot of games have a smaller discount or aren't even discounted at all.
Multiple games had better discounts in the past during midweek madness sales or previous winter or summer sales and the games I wanted to see discounted (like banished) only have minor discounts.

However since it's early in the summer sale a lot can happen and crazy deals can still change my mind.

What are your plans and thoughts about the summer sale?

Remember to keep this in mind:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I've stopped caring about Steam sales... there's no point, money is not a problem any more, but the investment in time and dedication to play the games is a problem.

When I was a kid, games cost about $80 here. If you got lucky, maybe you got a new game twice a year. This is why everyone just pirated everything.

Funny enough, games cost about the same now, so considering inflation games are actually cheaper. Basically, I don't get people complaining about paying $20 for a game on Steam if they know will enjoy it for at least a couple of hours.

"Oh this game looks cool but $10 is too much, too short, I will wait for a sale..."

Spoiled brats don't know how priviledged they are.

However, bug-ridden over-hyped AAA still sell ****loads for $50+, and always will.

Guess I'm getting old...

Upvote 0
I've stopped caring about Steam sales... there's no point, money is not a problem any more, but the investment in time and dedication to play the games is a problem.

When I was a kid, games cost about $80 here. If you got lucky, maybe you got a new game twice a year. This is why everyone just pirated everything.

Funny enough, games cost about the same now, so considering inflation games are actually cheaper. Basically, I don't get people complaining about paying $20 for a game on Steam if they know will enjoy it for at least a couple of hours.

"Oh this game looks cool but $10 is too much, too short, I will wait for a sale..."

Spoiled brats don't know how priviledged they are.

However, bug-ridden over-hyped AAA still sell ****loads for $50+, and always will.

Guess I'm getting old...

True, I remember the time where I had to cycle 10 km to reach the nearest game shop, buy a game at full price to cycle back home and install it. The effort it took to get one game made me love every single one so much compared to now where they throw games at your face. It took me 7 years to have 20 or so games and when I managed to buy games on steam it took me 3 years to reach over 300.

However in the past the Steam sales were much better, there are still a lot of games atm that aren't discounted and a lot of other games that have less than 75%.
the Darksiders games are 50% off. It's been more in the past.
Driver San Fran is only 40% off. It's been more in the past.
Banished is only 25% off, sure it got released in February but i expected more.
Lifeless planet is 20% off, I expected more.
The only special deal for me is Sins of a solar empire: rebellion but I have my doubts if I'll even like it.

I think it's how Total Biscuit said it in his summer sale video, it's because a lot of people pretty much have all the good games already and the ones they don't have aren't old enough to have crazy discounts. Also there have been a lot of releases on steam this year and there are a lot of early access games, only a few of those games will have a proper discount.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I remember as kids we walked barefooted 3 miles to school. Worse thing was that it was uphill both ways......

I remember when 16K was a heck of a lot of memory. Coders had to code tightly. Not like the bull**** they get away with today. Assembly was about the only way to get anything done. Data devices were tape decks. I can't count the times we lost our data.

Games (or anything else) were never so expensive one had to pirate them. That's a myth perpetuated to justify a behavior......

Upvote 0
I've still managed to find things I've missed from previous sales. So far I've picked up

Papers, Please
Shadowrun Returns
State of Decay
Gun Point

and hope to pick up 3-4 more if the pop up in any daily/flash sale.

The only disappointment is the actual event. I like crafting badges as I've crafted 49 or so individual badges and various levels of those over the last year but even so I have no interest competing with people who craft 150+ levels of the summer badge just to help my team win and thus stand a minuscule chance of winning stuff. The odds are incredibly low.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind you guys dont know what will come on a Flash sale yet.

yeah i've been holding on hoping Il2 Cliffs of dover gets a flash/daily deal - but i'm thinking it's not likely to happen now.

40% off is a decent reduction but i resent that the price is the same in dollars as it is in pounds -which is a fair difference - i thought they had stopped all that crap.

Upvote 0
yeah i've been holding on hoping Il2 Cliffs of dover gets a flash/daily deal - but i'm thinking it's not likely to happen now.

40% off is a decent reduction but i resent that the price is the same in dollars as it is in pounds -which is a fair difference - i thought they had stopped all that crap.

For the love of god, no, don't buy it. It's still a broken, unoptimized mess. Save up for IL-2 Stalingrad instead.

Upvote 0
that is up to the publisher/developer

thats why i've got half a mind to let the publisher stick their cliffs of dover right up thier arse.

For the love of god, no, don't buy it. It's still a broken, unoptimized mess. Save up for IL-2 Stalingrad instead.

all the more reason why I wouldn't feel so bad if I let them stick their unoptimized mess right up their broken, chalky arse.

Upvote 0
Damage report:
-Victoria collection.
-Europa Universalis 4 : Wealth of Nations (not on sale though and cheap enough anyway)
-Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance
-Goat Simulator

Gifts flying this way:
-Payday 2 Big Bank "Hey we finally made a level that isn't completely static and banal $7 please" DLC

Gifted due recipient being away on sale but asked to pick up if I notice them on decent discount and pay later:
-Europa Universalis 4
-Borderlands 2
-Aerosmith 2014

Gifts flying elesewhere:
-Long Live the Queen
-Beat Hazard Bundle

Also 3333rd post. Do I get e-cookie now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've still managed to find things I've missed from previous sales. So far I've picked up

Papers, Please
Shadowrun Returns
State of Decay
Gun Point

and hope to pick up 3-4 more if the pop up in any daily/flash sale.

The only disappointment is the actual event. I like crafting badges as I've crafted 49 or so individual badges and various levels of those over the last year but even so I have no interest competing with people who craft 150+ levels of the summer badge just to help my team win and thus stand a minuscule chance of winning stuff. The odds are incredibly low.

In this past sale, I picked up the following:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (Bleh... can't get into it)

Shadowrun Returns (Not bad, but kind of lost interest for the moment)

Payday: The Heist (Cheap, a bit fun, but lost interest too)

Game of Thrones (Pretty good, better than I was expecting - though a few issues with camera rotation in heavily populated areas getting choppy and buggy)

Hitman: Blood Money (Entertaining)

Afterfall Insanity - Dirty Arena Edition (I needed to blow some extra money I got from selling trading cards)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Deluxe Edition (Entertaining and good replay value)

Upvote 0