• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Inexperienced commanders and squad leaders

Andreson

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2011
Republic of Moldova
I recall there was an option to kick (not definitively from the game) but from the role or commander someone if enough people voted in RO2. Right now I was searching it as our commander was a new player, and couldn't find it.
Because of him we had our attack gutted right from the start. We probably didn't even have a chance! Worst of all, those who at least tried to do something don't get Battlefield Commisions (when they are really, really needed)!

I'm not blaming him, since he was level 12, which probably means he's pretty green, and by the middle of the game he started already throwing smokes and calling in artillery. But it was much too late and not always where it was needed, and not even nearly enough for the entire team!

So my quesiton is: what to do in such cases? If you know the role better, how to stand in the place of the newer guy, and let him learn the ropes in other classes?

honor level lock for roles like Commander and Squad Leader,lets say wen you reach Honor lvl 20 you can now play as SL,Honor lvl 25-30 you can play as commander,that way,you force new players to play as Riflemen and learn the basic roles in the game.last night some SL marked our spawn for arty and our lvl 12 Commander called arty on us LOL,hope someone from TWI read this :)

Upvote 0
I vote no on level restrictions on classes, noob needs to learn somehow. As for players, you could always give them advice as to how to play the role :rolleyes: as for the people who won't listen or intentionaly drop arty on friendlies, kick vote is there for a reason

i think they need to play first Riflemen or another thing before using roles that could affect the battle and ruin others RO experience,thats just not fair,you say they need to learn,yes,but let them learn first the basic roles and game mechanics,as for votekick, meh people dont votekick cause they dont know how,its too complicated for some even if you explain how

Upvote 0
I don't think it will help. For example the other day I was up against a noob german commander. He was useing public chat instead of team so I heard him, but he was doing a good job other wise. Its usually the level 40 somethin guys who just run and gun the whole time, how will rank restrictions help that?

Upvote 0
The way I see it is that if we had a level lock it wouldn't change much.
Say the level lock for TL is 20.
Now we'll have level 20 guy playing TL and everyone says "ErmuGurrd this guy's only lvl 20, we're doomed."
I think it's good to learn first, but playing rifleman won't really teach you to play TL or SL. I think you should start with rifleman to get the basic mechanics and such of the game; I believe this works out since the lack of alternate classes usually means most people g et a pretty good piece of the rifleman action. Heck there are some classes I've still never played, rifleman is by far the most played by me.

Upvote 0
If you lock commander and squad leaders to pistol + rifle then people won't pick them up for weapons and will take assaults or engineers, which is much better option. Just add more assaults as compensation if need be.

I'd also lock classes before people pass through training mission. Granted, it tells you little, but even little is better than nothing and being aware that you can blow holes in certain places as engineer is important to team on some maps.

Upvote 0
If you lock commander and squad leaders to pistol + rifle then people won't pick them up for weapons and will take assaults or engineers, which is much better option. Just add more assaults as compensation if need be.

I'd also lock classes before people pass through training mission. Granted, it tells you little, but even little is better than nothing and being aware that you can blow holes in certain places as engineer is important to team on some maps.

Especially if you increase the max ammount of Asault Rifle wielding personnel.

Upvote 0
I'd actually be in favor of locking tank positions until that training level is completed.
People like me oughta do it twice or thrice before being trusted with other people in a tank :/

Upvote 0
Inexperienced commanders and squad leaders

Just like during any other free weekend :) Just don't play the game for 2 days and you will be fine. Take a break, play something else, watch TV, you know best. This is what I always do when there's a free weekend for any game that I play. The free weekends are wasting the community and the game, imo. They make more people to quit the game than to stay and play.

Upvote 0
Just like during any other free weekend :) Just don't play the game for 2 days and you will be fine. Take a break, play something else, watch TV, you know best. This is what I always do when there's a free weekend for any game that I play. The free weekends are wasting the community and the game, imo. They make more people to quit the game than to stay and play.

No I love this period. There are cool people around.

I just wish there were mechanics to help new players better. Often when I ask friends about the first impressions they often say that they didn't understand what was going on around them, mostly confusion. So it's best to go with simple game modes with fewer players on an almost empty server or in Search & Destroy.

Upvote 0
I think I am going to upset some folks here but having played RO Ost DH for 6 years and owned ROS from the start I would just like to say that in Ost the command structure was simply players talking to each other using VOIP with no one in charge and it worked well. The roles were just a name with different weapons. Noobies were always helped into the game and yes there were also players who did not know how or want to call arty!

Yes, ROS is different, but we all paid for the game and we all have the right to play it the way we want as long as we don’t cheat or deliberately cause trouble!

There are a large number of players who like to do their own thing and are not interested in command structure and they have every right to do so in what ever role they choose. This may be frustrating for some but no more frustrating than being a SL and having 6 players spawn on you when you have found a sweet spot!

Why should new players be restricted when they have paid for the game the same as everyone else!

That’s like saying players who have level 20 can’t play on servers where the average player level is 10.

Personally I play both ways it won’t affect me but it should not anyway.

So come on people, don’t start trying to get the game changed just because you don’t like the way some people play!

Let’s have fun cuz that’s what it’s all about.

Upvote 0