Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 AM

Yes, exactly. Very often I find myself using russian weapons because I run out of ammo when I am not machine gunner.

"If I had German soldiers, German technology, and German officers, I could rule the world." - Adolf Hitler
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sajer View Post
"THAT my friends is how to excell at RO2."
But NOT in RS.
Keeping your heads down in the cap zones can get you flamed, mortared, handgrenaded, satcheled or an artillery shell on the head.
Controlling the cap zones is far more important in RS.
My beginner tip in RS is STAY BACK.
B a riflemen and support your team long range-midle range. Only get in Cap when your team has pushed the other team back. That way you are far more useful.
In RS people get ambushed. You cant avoid that, while advancing. Even the best players are sometimes suprised by the enemy. Beginners however rarely get do an impact in the frontline. Further back however they can surpress the enemy.

When you play flamer though atack where nobody else does. Suprise the enemy from the sides or behind. The other tactic is to be in a group and wait until the normal guys in the front get stuck or reach a bunker then happy flaming.
Mortars are extremly effective! Even a beginner can use them.
Use direct fire in close combat. A close combat mortar can hold a chokepoint extremly well. You can even ambush groups of enemies from the side.
When you are a complete beginner than shooting indirect fire is better though. Use your mousewheel backwards to get to indirect shooting.
You look at a chokepoint and zero your shot in by observing where it lands. When you have a perfect target wait for the enemy to run into that chokepoint and mass slaughter them. On atack its still the same. Carefully watch where you shots land is the key to victory with indirect fire.
THE WORST thing to do is blind fire and use the range given to you in meters. Mortars always fall short.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
On Vacation

Best tip i can think of, is that you stand still when im trying to shoot you, it is much easier for me then.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Well, I've been playing lots over the last few days.

Most of this stuff is common sense. My biggest problem starting out (and still is on certain maps) was not knowing where the enemy was or where they were coming from.

I think I've been doing pretty well lately. I've been playing mostly RO2, because I am completely useless in jungle warfare. I've been in the top 5 or 10 most games I've played so far. I freaking love bolt-action, I've never enjoyed a gun in an FPS so much.

Anyway, at this point I'm really just trying to get to know the maps. This game can get super frustrating on maps where there's no recon.

I've also been having a lot of trouble finding servers where people are actively using VoIP. I'm getting pretty sick of pub play. I have a few favorite servers, but it's still a gamble jumping into those. I just played on Apartments, and my entire team was staying WELL out of the capzones and trying to snipe. I got TK'd about 10 times by friendly grenades too. I was so frustrated.

That's really all I need at this point; I need to find a server where there's a consistent teamwork-oriented presence, where SLs and TLs know what they're doing.

Are there any good servers out there? I don't really know how to go about finding private servers and joining clans and stuff like that. Plus, I want to be able to play whenever I want, and not just on a schedule. I've never played in a clan or anything, and am relatively new to FPS, so I'm not very savvy in these ways.

As an aside, it sure would be nice if TLs had a separate VoIP channel for SLs, it can get super confusing when both my TL and SL are talking at the same time.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
...get confused when I don't get any form of feedback when I think I've shot somebody.
The death messages are on delay on many servers, which is a realism setting designed to keep you from *knowing instantly* if you killed the enemy you were shooting at. 5 seconds later the death messages show for your kills/deaths. Sometimes it shows teammate kills/deaths, sometimes only yours. Depends on the server settings.

My tip for finding a good server is to just sort all servers by the number of players in them, and join an almost-full 64-player game. It's almost certain that there will be leaders using VOIP in those games, because those are the games the seasoned players join.

The Tactical View (T) is crucial for orienting yourself. Also, getting to know the maps helps immeasurably. But unfortunately it also takes away some of the magic. I love new unknown maps for this reason.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickpuncher View Post
Something I'm having trouble with: staying behind cover. When I press LCTRL, sometimes I don't actually get down into cover, and instead pop up like a whack-a-mole, and get mowed down every time it happens—not fun. Still trying to get used to the mechanics.
OK the cover system does take some getting used to. Here's what is happening to you. When you're behind cover, pressing forward (W) makes you peek your head up (without gun) to take a look. That's your whack-a-mole most likely, you're going into cover and pressing forward. It is useful because without bringing up your gun, you present a smaller profile for an enemy targeting you (but not small enough for attentive players with good aim evidently), and you also duck back down a bit quicker without having to bring your gun in. I use this to spot enemies - but I peek and hide again quickly!

In cover, you can also blind fire (fun but not too useful) by simply staying down in cover and firing without popping up. You can do this with rifles or grenades (blind-fire nade kill is an achievement).
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Honestly, I would advise just not using the cover system. It has its moments, especially on classic mode servers since it reduces weapon sway, but usually just switching between crouching and standing is sufficient, and far less clumsy/predictable once you get used to it. Also don't forget about using q and e to lean around corners.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM

I find that the cover system can get you lower than a mere crouch, when trying to hide behind low walls.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank View Post
I find that the cover system can get you lower than a mere crouch, when trying to hide behind low walls.
Yeah that tends to be one of the only situations that I'll use it if I'm playing on a Realism server.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Second this (or third it?), I love the cover system, allowing me to reload in safety then pop up and shoot. Once you get into the habit of pressing the cover button it works very well indeed.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Don't use the cover system unless you need to (if you can see over something whilst crouched). It leaves you exposed and predictable.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM

For orientation:

Hit T to highlight your objectives/caps in game, as well as ammo caches and radios. I'll state the obvious and say everyone on both sides is primarily moving towards the caps, so you should too. You can also see them on the map as well as your teammates. At this point, you don't want to the lead blue dot closest to the cap. Stay just behind the lead guys and see where they are going or if you see a teammate headed out to the flank, go with them and work together.

Move cover to cover and be patient, peek around and listen for enemy weapons/calls/fighting to figure out where the danger is. If I run across open ground to behind a building for example, I'll stop for a second or two, listen and check my map. If I hear something and no friendlies around, you know danger is close. Playing with a bolt, you have to play smart, but you can be really deadly once you get the hang of it.

To cut down TK's learning the movements (running 1 or 2 handed) will be very effective as well as weapon sounds. Look for muzzle flashes as well, if you can see them they are likely enemy.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 AM

Look for guides on steam
There are a lot of long good explanations!
I Must say however that RS surprises me pretty often!
There just isnt one strategy you should follow!
2 Days ago I played on a noob Server and didnt manage to kill half as many guys as usual XD
All japanese had heads Down and all allies waited in front of the capzone frightened to get in- couldnt counteratack or Disturb their atack
Never atacked the best rout-Waiting ages for the Enemy in my usual spots
Mortar fire wenn nothing!
I mean the allies didnt flank C in peleliu...
I was surprised
So Reading some different guides and then play play play should do the trick
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
For orientation:

Move cover to cover and be patient
Probably the most important thing. If you watch good players, they're very confident in when to move, and when to stay in a good position. Situational awareness takes experience.