Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 PM

I love this idea, and I think it should be implemented in as simple a form as possible, not squad-based, at least not at first.

Just allow TL to put text and pointers on the map, great idea - I would use it effectively all the time.

Also would be nice to have the squad you're in displayed prominently at some point, initial spawn or role change or something. ***YOU ARE IN SQUAD 2*** Currently you usually find out by checking out your SL# in the tactical screen - it could be easier to discern and it would be easy to make it easier.

I'm constantly issuing requests for squads by number, and I feel like only half at best of my teammates have any idea what squad they're in.
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #22  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM
In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake

Personally I don't recall seeing a mutator that did this or I would have pushed to take it official right away. I don't think the current UI system allows for this to be done easily (it would involve alot of work).

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos
Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
Personally I don't recall seeing a mutator that did this or I would have pushed to take it official right away. I don't think the current UI system allows for this to be done easily (it would involve alot of work).
Half OT question: Pretty much every time a UI suggestion/issue comes up you point to how hard it is to change the system which I believe. You use ScaleForm middleware for that, correct?
Well, WHY exactly? There seems to be nothing the Flash UI does better than RO1's UI, it is buggy, not pretty and has at best feature parity with what the UI did in RO1 (except the tactical overlay if that is even related). In many cases it does less, like the voting menu for example.

Is that TWI's failling to implement it correctly, a shortcoming of the middleware or something else entirely?

I don't see the benefits to me as a player when it does so little so poorly or to TWI as a developer when it is so inflexible.

Would you chose it again for your next project or recommend it to anybody else while stuff like awesomium exists or you could simply roll your own like back in the day?

Last edited by DerRidda; 02-19-2014 at 04:52 PM.
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #24  
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

We do not use scaleform for the UI in RO2. It is written in Unreal UI system (which they tossed out for scaleform in a later build of the engine). As far as I am aware, many third party users of the engines switched off it it before it was replaced as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM

Ok, thanks for the clarification, seems like I was panning them unjustly.
But that confirms my panning of early UE3.
I just don't think anyone is happy with the state of RO2's UI at the moment, least of all you guys.

How likely is it that the UI system will ever be reworked?
  Click here to go to the next developer post in this thread.   #26  
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRidda View Post
Ok, thanks for the clarification, seems like I was panning them unjustly.
But that confirms my panning of early UE3.
I just don't think anyone is happy with the state of RO2's UI at the moment, least of all you guys.

How likely is it that the UI system will ever be reworked?
Extremely unlikely as it would mean redoing the entire thing from 0. There are many things we learned during the development of RO 2. Some of it middleware that just didn't work out well, some of it gameplay that did not work out in practice as well as it did on paper. But many of those things are core elements and are non trivial to change.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Extremely unlikely as it would mean redoing the entire thing from 0.
So how exactly did the UI additions from Rising Storm go along. Is it as simple as just plugging in the new sublist for weapons/categories or was there any reworking involved? Would re-doing the UI be feasible for making it modular and allow for additional easy editing in the future?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Granted, this was your first project of that scale it is just sad to see that RO2 as a base for future content has such a shaky foundation in some purely technical areas while the gameplay is so awesome.

There is a Kickstarter campaign that I would fund hidden in there: Reworking of some of the poorer core systems, updating the engine to a fresher build, Linux/OS X port, some new content.

I'm not even kidding. But enough OT for now.
  This is the last developer post in this thread.   #29  
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerRidda View Post
Granted, this was your first project of that scale it is just sad to see that RO2 as a base for future content has such a shaky foundation in some purely technical areas while the gameplay is so awesome.

There is a Kickstarter campaign that I would fund hidden in there: Reworking of some of the poorer core systems, updating the engine to a fresher build, Linux/OS X port, some new content.

I'm not even kidding. But enough OT for now.
We have thought about doing something like that, however feel that with the current player environment it would not be successful. Right now all we can do is apply these lessons learned as we move forward so we do not make the same mistakes again.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
We have thought about doing something like that, however feel that with the current player environment it would not be successful. Right now all we can do is apply these lessons learned as we move forward so we do not make the same mistakes again.
Very diplomatically put but I personally don't believe that the player environment truly rallies behind its loudest members, they are just that, the loudest.In gaming there is almost always a silent majority of people who are generally happy with the game but would definitely like to see improvements.

It also wouldn't be a crowd funding campaign if it didn't include the possibility of failure.

Start with something isolated that is currently on the sideline but would be nice to have and popular with players for no more than $100k and build up stretchgoals from there. I know that creating and maintaining a crowd funding is a resource drain in and by itself but the potential that's hidden in there would be well worth the risk. Games with smaller communities have done it.

If you try you will at least have a true gauge of how the community feels, at the very least try and open an honest dialog about it in the forums.