• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crysis 2 ZOMG SPECULATION!

About innovation:

And how is RO2 innovative? Aside from animating the crewmen moving around inside of the tank, I can't think of many new and unique features that RO2 brings to the table.

- First person cover system
- 3d Scope system with occular shadow
- Adjusting range on all weapon sights
- switching between scopes / iron sights
- cover and peak system, both around corners and over cover
- blind firing over cover
- wounding system that goes beyond rendering the skull as the only high damage area
- Campaign mode for FPS that goes much more in depth then other games equivalents ( resources continue from one map to the next, poor managment of them can cause a loss of a campaign after winning every battle )
- Fully modeled vehicle interiors
- First game I know of with a mkb42 :trollface:
- The first game I can think of to mix Realism & Simlicity ( more than roost ). ( ARMA 2 has about as many controls as a flight sim ).
- Would you like me to continue?

The small details are what makes a game, and in this case THE game. If you want them to re invent the entire period then people ( including you ) will whine because the game is then not realistic. Theyr hands are tied in that they must remain in that era, and as realistic as is 'gameplay' possible. The area's where they ARE allowed to make innovations ( the combat itself and its dynamics ) are where we have seen lots of improvements that will have a very large cumulative effect.

I sir will eat my hat if ROHOS is a lesser production then ROOST.

Upvote 0
Last reply about RO2 for me in this thread. I'll keep it simple and bold all of the features seen in other games:

- First person cover system
- 3d Scope system with occular shadow
- Adjusting range on all weapon sights
- switching between scopes / iron sights - This was done in a UT mod (yes, the original UT) and even ArmA 1/2
- cover and peak system, both around corners and over cover
- blind firing over cover
- wounding system that goes beyond rendering the skull as the only high damage area
- Campaign mode for FPS that goes much more in depth then other games equivalents ( resources continue from one map to the next, poor managment of them can cause a loss of a campaign after winning every battle )
- Fully modeled vehicle interiors
- First game I know of with a mkb42 :trollface:
- The first game I can think of to mix Realism & Simlicity ( more than roost ). ( ARMA 2 has about as many controls as a flight sim ).
- Would you like me to continue?

If you want to discuss it more you can send me a PM. :)

Upvote 0
You can't blind fire in Killzone 2, and the cover makes you pretty much immortal unless they surround you. Also, you can see very well whats on the other side, because the vision is very close to the edge. Also, you have to "hold" the trigger to remain crouched/sticked to cover, which is incredibly annoying, specially considering how bad the triggers are in the sixaxis.

I'd say the first games to implement first person cover were the Time Crisis arcade shooters... but one must take it to its own contexts, there is a difference between doing it first, and being the first to do it "right".

You may find a lot of games that have done a feature RO2 has. But none of them as good and detailed, besides, you'd have to put a lot of those games together to form a RO2, and AFAIK, humans can only play one game at a time

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
RO: HOES is the first game to feature mouse and keyboard controls! Or at least it's the first pc-only, predominantly multiplayer, first-person shooter on UnrealEngine 3 with a name that starts with "R" and ends with "d" that has it.
INNOVATION!:eek:
Spoiler!

It's about the game design, people, not about individual features on a checklist. Those are important, of course, and they can be used to quickly outline interesting aspects of the game, but what's innovative about RO:HOES is how it's going to be played!
There is no game that can be described as "RO:HOES but older" or "RO:HOES in a *blank* coat". RO:HOES is going to be something new.
As opposed to say, the CoD series. CoD1 could be described as "MoH:AA but newer". CoD4's SP can be desribed as "CoD2 in a modern coat".
Prototypes of individual features that may or may not have appeared in other games from comparable genres (or not) are irrelevant, imo.

It can be an interesting discussion when we trace back features through the course of gaming-history. Bursts of nostalgia, discovery of little known games... provided it's a discussion and not a flame-fest between fanboys and anti-fanboys. The latter is what appears to be happening here, unfortunately.

This is a Crysis 2 topic though. Who would expect a civilized discussion about RO in here. *hint-hint*

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
33,8FPS on the leaked beta, sounds good enough to me with my HD5770, that means the full game will hopefully be optimized even further. Question is though will it feature DX10/11?

It does feature DX10. Pretty sure it supports DX 11 to.

Those benchmarks don't mean much. I am sure the DX9 is limited to the "high" settings only... and I am sure textures might be of lower quality and whatnot. I am sure on the higher settings it will run a lot worse.

Still it can't be that much lower. Performance looks about par with Crysis 1 though.

Reactions: fOgGy and illinifan
Upvote 0
generic gameplay that was present in Crysis

I don't understand what was so generic about the gameplay? It had nano suit and offered many ways to play the game. You could sneak in and do the mission without even firing a single shot or you could just rampage in the place while still being more fun to do than 90% of other fps games. And once the game started to repeat itself the aliens came along and the whole game turned into something else. Play it on harder difficulty settings and you need to use more abilities than maxium armour, the enemies can then actually kill you easily.

Crysis to me was more impressive than all the CoD clones, rehashes or high budget console fps games were in the last couple of years, those were about doing the same thing all over again with dumped down features from the past. I would even go as far as say it is the best fps game since HL2(along with Stalker). These are opinions, but I don't understand how a game that can offer so much variety and new gameplay elements can be called generic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xendance
Upvote 0