• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The future....

Wodin

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Liverpool UK
Well so far I'm disapointed with RO2...I know it has issues that need to be fixed but I think even game design is skewed...the maps leave no room for manouver or combined ops...and I've heard the other maps are pretty similar..to many game modes and realism modes will split a community which i see being a problem once we have BF3 defects etc etc.

Also we have Iron Front on the way...using the AMRA 2 engine we can pretty much bet it's going for realism...and the gameplay trailers look suerb and the map in the trailer reminds me of some of the old RO maps..all this means compititon for RO2....the game needs to make up it's mind what it is...and stick to it...at the moment it seems to be abit of this and abit of that all stuck together which ha sment it has lost along the way what made RO so special.

I honestly feel Iron Front could well be the game that all the old RO players defect to and if that happens the game would have lost it's core community.

Oh and on another point it's worrying that the SP game isn't being tested....RO bots as we know where pretty poor....is this a sign that the AI isn't upto much....I really wanted to try out the new SP campaign mode to get the feel for the game...

Last edited:
and I've heard the other maps are pretty similar

Where did you hear that? Last I heard the other stock maps are huge, and the first round of this BETA was testing the smaller maps and easing the larger player base into "Red Orchestra" style maps.

And frankly, these maps are great. I've had random groups working well as teams to flank and function similar to real fire teams. (I've also had lots of groups working like a flock of headless chickens, and followed my corpse around a corner into a pair of MGs. Taking point on a charge after spawning does have risks, I just don't understand how 12 guys could all fail to understand why running over a growing pile of corpses was a bad idea.)

And with all the game modes and options, the future looks very bright. I'll be able to load up one game, and then switch between play styles for the cost of switching servers. Sounds like a dream.

Reactions: BigMorgan
Upvote 0
Well so far I'm disapointed with RO2...I know it has issues that need to be fixed but I think even game design is skewed...the maps leave no room for manouver or combined ops...and I've heard the other maps are pretty similar..to many game modes and realism modes will split a community which i see being a problem once we have BF3 defects etc etc.

Also we have Iron Front on the way...using the AMRA 2 engine we can pretty much bet it's going for realism...and the gameplay trailers look suerb and the map in the trailer reminds me of some of the old RO maps..all this means compititon for RO2....the game needs to make up it's mind what it is...and stick to it...at the moment it seems to be abit of this and abit of that all stuck together which ha sment it has lost along the way what made RO so special.

I honestly feel Iron Front could well be the game that all the old RO players defect to and if that happens the game would have lost it's core community.

Oh and on another point it's worrying that the SP game isn't being tested....RO bots as we know where pretty poor....is this a sign that the AI isn't upto much....I really wanted to try out the new SP campaign mode to get the feel for the game...

Yawn...Speculation based upon your own personal view is not fact just speculation..So please stop scare mongering as you have no idea what your talking about..
I am an original beta tester from the F&F and you are talking rubbish when talk about "I've heard the other maps are pretty similar".. Apartments (for instance) is the smallest maps in RO2 and is in the beta as a base map to judge performance..

Upvote 0
I keep on wandering why two maps, who were already in RO1, get so much critics.
Danzig has been around since the mod (the original even created by an Epic employee during "make something unreal" if I remember well) and you either love or hate it, but that has nothing to do with RO2

And also fallen fighters was already in RO1

And now all of a sudden their are complains :confused:

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
Heard it from a beta tester over at The Wargamer forum....he said the other maps are pretty similar and funnel you down certain paths....though this beta tester is also a game reviewer and didn't really like RO as it was to confusing...he prefers RO2.

Classic ROOST maps are sure to be remade to scale...Even if the default TWI maps are small, rest assured you'll be playing large ones soon.

I don't think the tank-only maps are the size of the RO1 maps tankers are used to, fanmade or otherwise. I saw one beta video where it took very little time to reach the action starting at spawn (german side). Something like 30 seconds.

The full version's tank maps would have to be a solid 5-10 times larger than that to reach what I'd call are RO "tank map" sizes. That's just my own preference though, maybe other people prefer smaller maps.

Danzig has been around since the mod (the original even created by an Epic employee during "make something unreal" if I remember well) and you either love or hate it, but that has nothing to do with RO2

That's highly irrelevant. Example: A lot of people found classic CS maps did not translate all that well well to CSS. dust1 for example, it's a cramped mess on the latter. Or deck on UT3, which IMO became lame.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iron front doesn't capture me, the same as Arma II didn;t capture me.

It was realistic, yes, but I always thought it was kind of boring.

Ostfront had something, a 'je ne sais pas', that made it very realistic, but also very fun.

The core of RO2, retains that, in my opinion.

The only thing that really needs reworking are the maps.

Switchblade is right, the maps were all in RO1, but I think the problem is that the movement and aiming is much more arcade in RO2, it just doesn;t fit well with the maps yet.

I hope hardcore mode, and custom maps will ligt this game to a whole new level.

In this light I really do hope that hardcore mode will be more than just upping weapon damage, but will affect things like recoil, stamina, bandage time, the time to bring the iron sights up, and that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iron Front is a nice and ambitious mod & arma is a nice game but it has nothing going on Ro2, i mean it won't even get near because it falls on itself by even utilizing the arma engine.

Arma always had great potential but due to the engine being extremely buggy and the netcode being extremely poor, you can not have proper versus games at all in the arma series.

Bohemia needs to learn how to properly fix their own games/engine before they announc new stuff and i think the Arma series would be way better of if they started on a new engine from scratch.

Reactions: freeman2344
Upvote 0
I'm glad you edited the post because when you mentioned Arma II I thought you were joking and stopped reading

tumblr_lio67fv8xv1qdzj2ko1_500.gif

Reactions: Kipper
Upvote 0
Sure, you'll be able to play Iron Front however you want. Only problem is, 63 other players on the server might well want to play it differently from you.

You're probably the kind of player who enjoys the more arcane features of ACRE in Arma2: - change the batteries in your radio in order to communicate with your squad leader, etc. Red Orchestra was never like that.

I don't really get these complaints that you're being given no room for maneuver in the RO2 maps. Even in Apartments, most of the buildings have at least five ways into them from all sides.

I'm seriously impressed with the amount of polish RO2 has. It has a highly complex cover system that works almost flawlessly, really intuitive character movement, superb sound (the music's not to my taste) and 'war film' post-processing looks the mutt's nuts.

I'd find it difficult to go back to an Arma 2 engine-based game after this, with the clunkiness of movement and totally sub-par CQB.

Upvote 0
Sure, you'll be able to play Iron Front however you want. Only problem is, 63 other players on the server might well want to play it differently from you.

You're probably the kind of player who enjoys the more arcane features of ACRE in Arma2: - change the batteries in your radio in order to communicate with your squad leader, etc. Red Orchestra was never like that.

I don't really get these complaints that you're being given no room for maneuver in the RO2 maps. Even in Apartments, most of the buildings have at least five ways into them from all sides.

I'm seriously impressed with the amount of polish RO2 has. It has a highly complex cover system that works almost flawlessly, really intuitive character movement, superb sound (the music's not to my taste) and 'war film' post-processing looks the mutt's nuts.

I'd find it difficult to go back to an Arma 2 engine-based game after this, with the clunkiness of movement and totally sub-par CQB.

Arma 3 has already fixed the movement and CQB. They're fixing all of the complaints.

Upvote 0
You mean people actually play ARMA? LOL!!!

You know, you can take realism too far it becomes tedious. No wonder nobody plays that game.

There are a ton of players who play ArmA 2, a lot of people (myself included) like to play simulation games and find them fun.

There have been a few issues that I see with the current maps in the beta, but when I step back, they're usually just personal complaints that don't appeal to me, and not related the layout or balance of a map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

because people KNOW these maps since YEARS..give us something fresh..ofc i can see where the decission to implent well know maps comes from but still. Some pavlov and spartak. whould be nice...

Upvote 0

You have to understand, fans just need to complain (especially, at least in my experience, indie game fans), about everything... The game is fine, the maps are fine, just fix the bugs and we will all be fine... ;)

Upvote 0