• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can a dev tell me?

Good luck finding a hedgerow in RO2! Hedgehog is the right term for the tank barricades scattered around the maps.

Destroyable objects in RO2 are marked on the map after they're destroyed, by a red diamond with an X. No idea why they're not marked before they're destroyed, although with how many of them there are in some maps, it could get a bit cluttered.

Once you know what to look for, destroyable objects are easy to spot:
  • The blue metal doors as in the southwest corner of the Commissar House C objective
  • The large metal loading bay doors like on east side of Red October's first objective
  • The improvised barricades like on stairways and blocking rooms & halls in Pavlov's House
  • The wooden double doors in Pavlov's House
  • The cracked/weakened walls all over Commissar's House's buildings

Upvote 0
oh c'mon... is it your first video game?

we didn't need indicators for secret places in mario world. all the fun is in discovering it yourself.

would anyone please quote that "if quake was done today" video that's been posted somewhere?

Of course, an engineer would have a good idea of what his charge could destroy or not. So could go either way with this one.

Upvote 0
Developers PLEASE c'mon, the original post by me was about how do you capture the two destroyable objectives in Red October with satchel charges?

I know what can and can't be destroyed by an engineer, I already have my engineer (and all other classes) at highly decorated, I have blown up everything that can be blown up.

You put in the November 21st patch notes the following:

Satchel objectives can now be 'captured' by destroying the target

Now I have tried everything to blow up and capture these two points, I used over 10 satchel charges on one of the objectives, have you any idea how hard that is? Running back and forth between the forging area and the signal box to restock the satchels, even having to kill bots on my own team to stop them capturing it the normal way, I blew open the doors, and then planted satchels everywhere and nothing, nada, diddly squat.

Either there is some miracle place to put the satchel to capture it, or your patch notes are wrong AGAIN, which is it?

If they can be blown up with satchels and captured then please just tell us how, its not that hard of a question

Reactions: Lush and I. Kant
Upvote 0
We had a system that didn't make launch that "highlights" things that are destroyable when you have the satchel pulled out.

I'll check on the status of the system when later when I get a chance. I don't remember if it got canned or not.

The system is in. Indeed, you have to have the satchel pulled out and be relatively close to an objective that can be blown up. It's going to light up with a golden colour.

It only appears to me that (as of 21st Nov/17th Nov patch?) it is now slightly more subdued when you're looking at the destroyable objective head on, but if you're looking at it at an angle, it shows up very clearly, like it was previously.

A hint to all the prospective engineers: run the game, open console, type "open te-*" (where * is a full map name with engineers on it), drop all your gear apart from the satchel at spawn (so you move around faster/ regain stamina quicker) and run around the place. You'll note there are quite a few blow-able objectives.

Edit: I'd like also to join in on the OP's query. Doesn't seem to work no matter where you drop the objective?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

we didn't need indicators for secret places in mario world. all the fun is in discovering it yourself.

would anyone please quote that "if quake was done today" video that's been posted somewhere?
That would be fine if there was consistency and you could know what could be destroyed using common sense, here it's more about trial and error.
Not that I would want indicators, but he does have a point.

Upvote 0
We had a system that didn't make launch that "highlights" things that are destroyable when you have the satchel pulled out.

I'll check on the status of the system when later when I get a chance. I don't remember if it got canned or not.

Im pretty sure ive seen doors being highlighted(tinted yellowish) when i pull up a satchel and moved towards them, so i think its in.

Upvote 0

erm... unless the game actually has full destruction on everything (ala Red Faction), then its unreasonable to expect players to have to plant satchels on everything in the game to see what blows up and what won't.

Either they need to make the destruction far more uniform (i.e. EVERY hedgehog is destructible, or EVERY metal door is destructible etc), or there needs to be some indicator so the game doesn't arbitrarily punish you by having you waste satchels on stuff that looks destructible but isn't.

I say putting destructible things on the map like RO1 is a good stop gap to a better system.

Reactions: DasFist and Golf33
Upvote 0
I've noticed the glowing doors long time ago, but I didn't know you could blow up hedgehogs and barricades.
I wonder how many other "undocumented" features are there?

TWI needs to add hints and tips that explain all that stuff.

Another example is the morale indicator and the "hero proximity" indicators, which I noticed quiet late in the game. I'm pretty sure there are still people who haven't noticed them yet. When you think that devs put time into implementing all these, and they all went unnoticed in the end...

Upvote 0
erm... unless the game actually has full destruction on everything (ala Red Faction), then its unreasonable to expect players to have to plant satchels on everything in the game to see what blows up and what won't.

it doesn't need to have full destruction and you don't need to go planting satchels on everything

video games have been teaching us that something that looks slightly different from some pattern might hide secrets

that's how we found out that those blue doors were blue for a reason. Blinking neon lights would certainly ruin the fun we had.

Upvote 0
Adding some markers or glow the objects in tactical view only is a nice idea.

I can't remember how many time i exposed myself, blew myself or others players, used and wasted my explosives to damn realise that this wood plank here or this obstacle is not destructible at all. That's why i prefer the Arma design: Almost all is destructible.

And when custom maps will be coming it will be worst. I'm not playing a game to remember each crates, each planks, each trees, each furnitures who are destructible on more than 25+ maps.

I don't need a glowing 24/24 game. But some indicator on the map or with the tactical screen is fine.

PS:

video games have been teaching us that something that looks slightly different from some pattern might hide secrets

Maybe you played only CoD, unreal tournament or half life. But not me. In my favourites games, i play strategic, tactics, realism, simulation. Not the holy search of the double damage bonus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0