• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Abandoned-Base-Final

THEDDLE

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
Map Name: KF-Abandoned-Final, KF-Abandoned-FinalVL, and KF-Abandoned-Base-DarkNight
Author: =TCH=THEDDLE
Playable: Yes
Pictures: See below.
Music By: =TCH=THEDDLE
WhiteListed: Submitted
Description of map:
The American Government decides to step in and aide the British Army and Royal Forces as they loose
their foot hold in London to Patriarch and his hoard of children. Several American Soldiers have
deployed to the London from a near by Air Force American Base south of London. While all available
personal are away, helping take back London, the Patriarch and a his children force out all remaining
personal on Base. Leaving behind equipment and a very crucial deployment point for all armed forces
involved. Your job is to take back the base and kill all who stand in your way before all equipment
and the base is destoryed.
Map Download/Download Size: 16.04mb Zipped

Both links below updated on 9-15-2013

Darknight
Macabreday

This is my second Map. I have been beta testing it for a little while with some other guys. It has come a long way from BetaV1. All textures are now in my level. 99% of them I made.

I have couple unusual things in my map that are now a signature that I will use in my maps. Things that go boom. There are weapons and ammo spots through out. However most of them are hidden. Once you find them you will always know where they are. :D

Have Fun Play Hard. I am on to my next map.

Below are some older pics. Lay out is the same. Had to remove most of the grass so lower end computers could have fun also.

AbandonedBase13.jpg

AbandonedBase3.jpg

AbandonedBase4.jpg

AbandonedBase8.jpg

AbandonedBase9.jpg

AbandonedBase12.jpg

AbandonedBase11.jpg

AbandonedBase10.jpg

Last edited:
Your job is to take back the base and kill all who stand in your way before all equipment and the base is destoryed.
I didn't read into this part of the description until I got into the map and saw that this is exactly what's happening in there. Great use of the glass actors in a new and innovative manner.

Lots of personal additions and touches with custom SMs, textures, trader toilet spawns, emitters used in good context, off base penalties, and on base action rewards.

On a 9600 GT my frames remained high even in areas where I could see the bulk of the map and all associated extras.

A few brushes could do with a touch up here and there and some of the movers could do with their pivots points and directions tweaked but this doesn't detract from the overall positive aspects.

The bots are also very happy with the open areas and double doors and can move freely practically everywhere. This keeps gameplay consistent and reduces downtime. Overall this is a big jump from your first map and clearly shows you are getting to be comfortable with the tools.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello.

Hello.

Thank you Fel and Arramus.

Arramus thanks for the good review. I worked hard at getting the frames up as high as I could with out losing some of the effects. The original had around 1000 things that blew up and broke. Well the game did not like that at all I had FPS of about 20-30. I have 260's in SLI. So thats not good for lower end. So it has come along ways from V1.

I try to learn as much as I can. I like to know how to do things from scratch. I get an idea and I try to figure out how to do it. I wanted to be unique in a couple ways with this map. Doing mostly my own textures was a good step. I still have a lot to learn. Playing with the emitters and seeing what they do was another step. Third was to have a map with an American Flag waving.:D

I still have a lot to learn. I want to figure out how to make textures that look ripped, old, rough, and so on. I also want to figure out landscaping. I have some fire skills and water skills but they need to be better. I kinda figured out how to make static meshes. I believe there is a better way.

On your suggestions give me some ideas. Personal message me. Like the brush thing. Let me know what you are talking about. I can only think of one door mover I did not get fixed like I wanted. However it was a minor detail. Pivot movers. Give me an example on that. Are you talking about the red arrows for the door triggers. I tried to get them all pointed into the best direction I could.

I am always open for learning new things. I hope to improve a little on each map. My next map will not be all original. I am a COD fan. We played Vacant on COD 4 with a zombie mod. I am going to take a similar layout and give it the THEDDLE and KF effect. Should be fun. I am going to play with rain in this one.:cool: Would love to figure out the emitters for that. I also love Dex's snow emitters. I told him I was going to steal them. LOL.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Hello.

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone else had feedback on the maps. I am currently working on a V2. I know I already posted the final. However I have learned a couple new things in detail. Plus some issues that I missed with brushes. No game play problems just visual stuff.

I am also of thinking of making a couple of more dark spots on the normal version. On the VL version I was thinking of redoing it with level 1 brightness or zero and just tweaking with the existing lights. Maybe add here and there, increase the radius, and brightness of individual lights.

So if you have any feedback let me know. Before I put out V2 and VL2. :D I am ready for the next map. Which I started on while waiting for Beta feedback for this on.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Since I do not have any more feedback. LOL. I will be releasing 2 newer versions soon.

I did the following.

Worked on Coronas for lights on darker map.

Played with the lighting some more on the darker map.

Re did several textures with a darker and less cookie cutting theme as mentioned. However I did keep a couple that I liked in the bar and barracks. I just tweaked them a little.

Added a few details here and there.

Lined up some BSP's out of allignment I did not catch until after final.

Woking on daylight version since I redid textures. It will be a cloundy dark day. No rain.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Well guys I did my final version of the Dark one. I will be listing a seperate day version. So the above 3 are all night versions.

Dark Night is a little different in following.

-Added Grass for a more visual effect
-I re did most of the textures. By dulling them down, replacing them, or new ones.
-Removed one burning car seemed to help in Frames Per Second around bar.
-Overall Frames are pretty good. A couple low spots.
-Replaced trees with trees that did not have motion to help FPS.
-Aligned brushes I missed before that where pointed out to me.
-Added a light black fog
-Added coronas to lights
-Several Misc. Tweaks to help FPS.
-Also Used Beta SDK for final build
I am sure I did some more. To an average person they may not notice. To people who look at details they should pick up on them.

Download Size: 21.51mb. Includes 2 .ogg files, 1 .rom, and one read me.

KF-Abandoned-Base-DarkNight

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Despite my tardiness I hope my comments are put to good use.

First, doors that open both way have been a staple in maps since Killing Floor retail came out. Doors opening in one direction tend to be a nuisance when playing especially since they are only in a few maps.

Second, the mines are rather annoying. If someone dies when this is their first time to the map it is possible they will decide they dislike your map and not use it again. Also that kind of approach to mapping discourages exploration, something that you don't want to do.

Third, the sleeping quarters only have one door. Will discourage players from using this building.

Fourth, the number pad on the second floor building allows trader interface regardless of the trader currently active (only during trader time.

Lastly, the helicopter with the vehicle next to it allows the player access to the top of the helicopter and near-immunity from specs.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Despite my tardiness I hope my comments are put to good use.

First, doors that open both way have been a staple in maps since Killing Floor retail came out. Doors opening in one direction tend to be a nuisance when playing especially since they are only in a few maps.

Second, the mines are rather annoying. If someone dies when this is their first time to the map it is possible they will decide they dislike your map and not use it again. Also that kind of approach to mapping discourages exploration, something that you don't want to do.

Third, the sleeping quarters only have one door. Will discourage players from using this building.

Fourth, the number pad on the second floor building allows trader interface regardless of the trader currently active (only during trader time.

Lastly, the helicopter with the vehicle next to it allows the player access to the top of the helicopter and near-immunity from specs.

Thanks for the feedback. Maps are pretty much done here. For the helicopter part. Well if people are dumb enough to try and camp there let them. Since the things blow up from specs destroying them. You will soon fall and die in the middle of a zed fest. Not sure what chopper you are talking about anyways. There are no rigs next to them. A tractor is close. I have had these maps out for a long time. I could of used feedback earlier in beta form.

Upvote 0
Well if people are dumb enough to try and camp there let them. Since the things blow up from specs destroying them.

They blow up? I saw a truck blow up but not a chopper.

Not sure what chopper you are talking about anyways. There are no rigs next to them. A tractor is close.

There are 4 helicopters on the landing area. One of them has something like a baggage cart next to it with multiple exploding barrels on it. You can jump on the cart and then onto the tail of the helicopter.

I have had these maps out for a long time. I could of used feedback earlier in beta form.
Myself said:
Despite my tardiness...
I have been busy but I was trying out maps and I decided to post feedback for some of them. Use it if you like.

Upvote 0