• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First impressions from RO veteran

Bivoj

Sep 3, 2011
I loved RO since Beta 1.3, the UT2003 mod. I bought UT2003 only because RO mod, which I loved. And now, I must say, that RO2 is a dissapointement for me. I expected little approach towards mainstream, since the RO:O moved towards mainstream also (political corectness, more informative map with "ww2 GPS", etc.), but I did not expect that big change. So here are my 2cents, I hope it will influence devs or modders a bit:

- every soldier has a pistol
why such ahistorical nonsense? in all older ROs, pistols were given only to NCOs, snipers and machinegunners as it was in ww2 (and not all NCOs, snipers and machinegunners had one)

- ironsights are not "waving" even after a sprint (you aim directly and still, like your arms were from iron)
why did you remove one of most innovative features from RO:O (and this was improvement from mod times!) - putting the weapon on obstacle or floor (i.e. the place when you can set up bipod for MG) and making it still, but the more time aiming in the air, the more severe waving of the weapon?

- all soldiers are uberathelts
this was mentioned by many people before and I must agree - you can sprint much longer than you should. Please, fix at least this...

- even more informative map
this horse was beaten to death on this forum - Devs, will you give us an option (server based) to disable this magic GPS google map in ww2? I loved map_and_compass in the mod days...

- colorful icons poping up everywhere
yes, it helps players to know what they have to do and encourages the teamplay and the use of NCO, but it do not fit to "realism" gameplay of RO

- "dead" environment
I would expect more interactive enviroment, the old RO was also "dead", but it is not 2009 anymore...

- Mkb42
such a rare weapon shouldn't be in (but I can live with it)

- I really hate axis icon (the green something with iron cross)
it is minor issue, but it disturbs me every time I see it. If you, devs, want to be politically correct, why didn't you use the balkankreuz instead?

+ penetration
the only thing I really missed in the old RO

+ graphics

+ "parcour" runnig (climbing on obstacels)

+/- morale
I do not have opinion on this feature, I was fearing of implementation it (when it was in "feature list" for RO2), but I do not dislike it yet (do not like either)

All and all, I do not regret my money, the game is fun, I like it, but it ceased to be the old RO I loved. It made big step from simulation towards cinematic gameplay. I understand TWI, they want to get more from the mainstream market, but guys, you are losing the small, but loyal market of military history buffs and realism freaks like myself.

why such ahistorical nonsense? in all older ROs, pistols were given only to NCOs, snipers and machinegunners as it was in ww2 (and not all NCOs, snipers and machinegunners had one)

This will be a server-side configurable option. Servers will be able to define which classes can use Pistols, and it's likely the more realistism-oriented servers will disclude it.

Upvote 0
Eh, sprint was much too short in RO1.

Nobody complained about the PPS being in a lot of RO1 maps when it was a rare SMG produced during the siege of Leningrad, so I don't mind that weapons like the MkB42 are in at all.

A lot of the things you mention (such as minimap, icons) are relaxed realism specific. Hardcore mode doesn't exactly work right now, and they're fixing that with the patch that's supposed to release this morning.

Upvote 0
I loved RO since Beta 1.3, the UT2003 mod. I bought UT2003 only because RO mod, which I loved. And now, I must say, that RO2 is a dissapointement for me. I expected little approach towards mainstream, since the RO:O moved towards mainstream also (political corectness, more informative map with "ww2 GPS", etc.), but I did not expect that big change. So here are my 2cents, I hope it will influence devs or modders a bit:

- ironsights are not "waving" even after a sprint (you aim directly and still, like your arms were from iron)
why did you remove one of most innovative features from RO:O (and this was improvement from mod times!) - putting the weapon on obstacle or floor (i.e. the place when you can set up bipod for MG) and making it still, but the more time aiming in the air, the more severe waving of the weapon?

- all soldiers are uberathelts
this was mentioned by many people before and I must agree - you can sprint much longer than you should. Please, fix at least this...

- even more informative map
this horse was beaten to death on this forum - Devs, will you give us an option (server based) to disable this magic GPS google map in ww2? I loved map_and_compass in the mod days...

yes, it helps players to know what they have to do and encourages the teamplay and the use of NCO, but it do not fit to "realism" gameplay of RO

- "dead" environment
I would expect more interactive enviroment, the old RO was also "dead", but it is not 2009 anymore...

- Mkb42
such a rare weapon shouldn't be in (but I can live with it)

- I really hate axis icon (the green something with iron cross)
it is minor issue, but it disturbs me every time I see it. If you, devs, want to be politically correct, why didn't you use the balkankreuz instead?

+ penetration
the only thing I really missed in the old RO

+ graphics

+ "parcour" runnig (climbing on obstacels)

+/- morale
I do not have opinion on this feature, I was fearing of implementation it (when it was in "feature list" for RO2), but I do not dislike it yet (do not like either)

All and all, I do not regret my money, the game is fun, I like it, but it ceased to be the old RO I loved. It made big step from simulation towards cinematic gameplay. I understand TWI, they want to get more from the mainstream market, but guys, you are losing the small, but loyal market of military history buffs and realism freaks like myself.
they should make it so wave,so you cant kill anybody ,maybe that would make you happy
This is not a simulator military shhoter,plz we wanna have fun while playing this game ,try ARMA games or military

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with OP. All of the things you have said should be in the hardcore mode, or at least optional, if you''d ask me.

they should make it so wave,so you cant kill anybody ,maybe that would make you happy
This is not a simulator military shhoter,plz we wanna have fun while playing this game ,try ARMA games or military

How is this helpful? He is just asking for the possibility for some increased sway. That you have to reduce it to ridiculous proportions is your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Corban
Upvote 0

The icons are actually FOR realism. It is true that in a real situation there would not be any icons hovering above objectives nor would you be having the names of your teammates above their heads and so forth.

But lets face it, if it was a real situation you would know them anyways. You would know your teammates and you would know what your objective is. There hardly ever is a situation where you're tossed into a situation you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Upvote 0
******* Cod players are plaguing us now, look at the idiots saying sway isnt realistic, GET OVER IT AND JUST PLAY RELAXED REALISM. THIS THREAD IS FOR HARDCORE PLAYERS

the sad truth is this... i guess even cod players are starting to influence PC only games :/... but yes the aiming in this game is to easy they need to bring back the same sway that went with RO

Upvote 0