• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suggestions to fix the smokescreen caused by demomen.

Yes. I'm level 6 firebug and level 6 demo.
Demo lacks the ammo to be effective and firebug lacks the damage to defend himself from big baddies.

Demoman needs more ammo for suicidal for everything but pipes or something, though, the smoke is perfectly fine and a BONUS if you have a good demo

Honestly? I don't intend to be rude but are you shooting single crawlers and similar? I never ever uses more than half the ammo for demo (and yes I play suicidal). But then I don't use Only demo-weapons, so if one clot/crawler/stalker/yougetthepoint approaches I pull out the 9mm and shoot it. I think they should nerf the demo ammo due to the infinite nade-spam.

Upvote 0
Honestly? I don't intend to be rude but are you shooting single crawlers and similar? I never ever uses more than half the ammo for demo (and yes I play suicidal). But then I don't use Only demo-weapons, so if one clot/crawler/stalker/yougetthepoint approaches I pull out the 9mm and shoot it. I think they should nerf the demo ammo due to the infinite nade-spam.
I disagree here completely. I always run out of ammo as a demo unless I have both nade launchers. I think the M79 for sure should have more ammo. At least 35. I just wish the increased nade carrying capacity applied to all nades including nade launchers. That would be pretty sweet.

Upvote 0
Things get ugly on Friendly Fire servers, as the temptation to cap the smoke-spewing idiot rises exponentially. Once he clips you with a few careless near-misses, it's almost irresistible!

BOOM SPAM demos are everywhere. A legitimately good demo is more rare than a legitimately good Sharpshooter these days...

Upvote 0
firebug lacks the damage

Firebug still does ton of damage

Um, ok.

Firebug does crap for damage now. He's limited to only killing crappy zeds while the other damage dealers can kill all the zeds. In addition, the only way FB could even hope to keep up in damage is if he could hit 2-5 targets at the same time, all the time. And that's against crappy zeds...

fyi firebugs, the flamethrower does IGNITE damage and BURNING damage. it does not do damage like a projectile gun. unloading your who canister at something after it's already burning will not kill it faster and you're only wasting your ammo and decreasing your chances to run away from those grinders.

Thanks for that tip, Mr. level 0 Firebug. ;)

Try setting a scrake on fire while playing solo, vs flaming him down (ie empty the canister) & compare how long he takes to die.

Ironically, if you just empty the canister, the scrake will simply run up, kill you, and thus never die. :rolleyes:

(I don't feel bad for posting off-topic, because there's no reason to remove the smokescreen at all. It's there to balance out the sick damage a demo already does, and make it harder to repeatedly spam multiple 'nade shots with accuracy. Demo + constant accuracy = no zeds EVER get close to the team...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the more I think about it, the more I see the most novel solution yet: Either tone down or eliminate the freakin' smoke.

Seriously, what player here actually likes having everything obscured by a crapton of smoke? No one. It's not balancing so much as it's frustrating.

It's like the Motion Blur when the game first came out: A nice effect, but so strong that it becomes unplayable. Leave it, but for gods sake, tone it down!

Upvote 0
Suck it up. Its part of the game. If there was no smoke screen then playing as a Demo would be basically unstoppable. Its a balance and shouldn't be fixed. If it is then this game will begin to suck because all the players who want easy kills and no skill will play as demo. If its an issue then learn the proper way to play as a Demo or be a commando. Commando can see through the cloud smoke first. It utilizes this amazing thing this game was once based upon called team work. Relying on others and helping them to achieve your goals of victory and survival to your best ability. Or you could just stick demo with demo. I find others playing as demo obnoxious when they fog it up or steal kills but rather than ***** I go elsewhere in the map or I play as commando.

Upvote 0
why fix what is a DESIGNED WEAKNESS, in any class?

while we are on that subject i would like to suggest the auto ******, does your designated duty as a sharpshooter for you! "look mommy , no hands!". also up for the sharpshooter is self guiding bullets, because aim should be "fixed".
up for the zerker is an unlimited range light saber, cut all the zeds in one direction with one swing!
and the new class, t3h h4kz0r, mearly pull out your computer, type a few words and all zeds die instantly.

once again thats the new killing floor, now requiring absolutely NO skill, teamwork, or interest to play!

see you on the lamerfield private arsewipe HOOAH!

Upvote 0
why fix what is a DESIGNED WEAKNESS, in any class?

while we are on that subject i would like to suggest the auto ******, does your designated duty as a sharpshooter for you! "look mommy , no hands!". also up for the sharpshooter is self guiding bullets, because aim should be "fixed".
up for the zerker is an unlimited range light saber, cut all the zeds in one direction with one swing!
and the new class, t3h h4kz0r, mearly pull out your computer, type a few words and all zeds die instantly.

once again thats the new killing floor, now requiring absolutely NO skill, teamwork, or interest to play!

see you on the lamerfield private arsewipe HOOAH!

Such rage...

Though I do think this would be a step in the right direction. It'd at least get me playing Zerker again...

Upvote 0
...the flamethrower does IGNITE damage and BURNING damage. it does not do damage like a projectile gun. unloading your who canister at something after it's already burning will not kill it faster and you're only wasting your ammo...*headdesk*
I had to edit this because I realized the video posted above proves that you are wrong.

How does that desk feel?
Such arrogance and ignorance combined just needs a dose of evidence to settle it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had to edit this because I realized the video posted above proves that you are wrong.

How does that desk feel?
Such arrogance and ignorance combined just needs a dose of evidence to settle it.

besides the fact that I was told at one point that it did no further dmg then burning and ignite, i am thoroughly pwned. perhaps i should maybe buy a flamethrower for the first time since purchasing KF.

Upvote 0
Since everyone likes the smaller/faster smokescreen idea...why not tie it into the perk.
I could see it done two ways...
Either as your perk level increases the smoke screen gets smaller/faster
or
Severely reduce the smokescreen amount as it is and as perk level increases, the smoke screen increases.

The first way just seems to be what everyone would want to shoot through because they want it gone right? >.>

While the latter, would be the way I see it...most high level demos don't really care. By that point they should also know how to use it well enough that they shouldn't be blatantly putting the grenades everywhere to block the screen anyways(yea yea i know perk farmers, i dont care), so I don't see it as much of an issue. Not to mention as you level the perk up you would begin to learn just how much things take *shrug* Heck the reason I see it as increasing, is because you're getting a more powerful bang so you need a bigger smoke screen right? ;p

Upvote 0
Since everyone likes the smaller/faster smokescreen idea...why not tie it into the perk.
I could see it done two ways...
Either as your perk level increases the smoke screen gets smaller/faster
or
Severely reduce the smokescreen amount as it is and as perk level increases, the smoke screen increases.

The first way just seems to be what everyone would want to shoot through because they want it gone right? >.>

While the latter, would be the way I see it...most high level demos don't really care. By that point they should also know how to use it well enough that they shouldn't be blatantly putting the grenades everywhere to block the screen anyways(yea yea i know perk farmers, i dont care), so I don't see it as much of an issue. Not to mention as you level the perk up you would begin to learn just how much things take *shrug* Heck the reason I see it as increasing, is because you're getting a more powerful bang so you need a bigger smoke screen right? ;p

No. As I stated above in my post people should learn to cope with demo's and adjust (team game) commando works fine with demo or go elsewhere in the map.

Upvote 0
I disagree here completely. I always run out of ammo as a demo unless I have both nade launchers. I think the M79 for sure should have more ammo. At least 35. I just wish the increased nade carrying capacity applied to all nades including nade launchers. That would be pretty sweet.

Imo the grenade launchers dont need more ammo. If you buy them both, and use them wisely, you shouldnt run out until the very last moment when there is only a handful of zeds left.

Tho, if you play suicidal and are forced to nade down Fleshpounders or scrakes, you will surely run out at the middle..

So uhm.. if the ammo capacity was increased, they should also increase the cost. Otherwise it might get a bit too powerful in every other difficulty.

Firebug does crap for damage now. He's limited to only killing crappy zeds while the other damage dealers can kill all the zeds. In addition, the only way FB could even hope to keep up in damage is if he could hit 2-5 targets at the same time, all the time. And that's against crappy zeds...

Ironically, if you just empty the canister, the scrake will simply run up, kill you, and thus never die. :rolleyes:

Well, siren isnt actually a small/crappy zed and it goes down nicely with the flamer. Same with Bloat, but Id rather let it burn a while than waste so much fuel on hosing him down.

But yeah, if you compare firebug to any other perk, its not very powerful/useful. On suicidal you run out of ammo before you are midway through the wave, and cant even carry a decent backup weapon due its weight (get dual handcannos for example which run out of ammo even quicker lol..). In addition, its useless against husks, fleshpounds and scrakes. Well you can still let scrake burn and hose him down after like 30 seconds but thats not very good way of taking it down.. not to forget the fact you need like 1 canister on 1 scrake, out of 3 canisters.

Upvote 0