• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fallen Fighters: Just move the capzones

TeaLeaf

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
So I was playing Fallen Fighters earlier today and as usual the AI hullgunners and marksmen where the only people actually getting kills while everyone else was either hiding somewhere or running into the capzone only to have their head popped. I got to thinking about why that map is so little fun and I've come to decide it's because the capzones force you to take an area of pretty much no strategic value.

Every other capzone (well, most of them) on every other map is a strong point of some kind, realistically without the capping mechanics you would try to take those areas anyway. For example on Pavlov's House all the capzones are buildings that hold some strategic value (possible exception being January square) and controlling them not only moves your spawns closer but provides a stronger position to fight from.

In Fallen Fighters, however, the park is of no real use. If the game didn't force you to take the park no one in their right mind would try to secure an area with mostly only waist high cover watched over by 3 story firing positions and tanks. The park should be something you simply pass through, not something to capture.

Basically what I want to suggest is this. Remove the capzones in the park and make the 2 remaining capzones a bit bigger (they should contain each HQ plus overlap with the nearest buildings and the park wall). The way the buildings are laid out attacking the bases directly or from the flanks are both valid, so most of the map will still be used but now you don't have to lay prone in a fountain for 2 hours to take one capzone.

There are probably a few other things you could do, like add more cover to the park. But I think this would be very easy to do and have a pretty drastic effect on gameplay.

Smoke......smoke.........and smoke some more.

Play with some competent squad leaders who use it and you'll see the beauty of that map. The thrill of crawling on your belly just to pop up and cap a zone or cap a building-jockey (sniper hiding in a window or streetcar) while bullets are whizzing around your head is hard to top.

In fact the intesity of the conflict that can be created on the maps (open area maps in RO2) that FORCE you to use smoke is something sorely missing from the the others (such as apartments or pavlovs house) in my opinion.

:D

Upvote 0
Add a little more cover to the park and make it just an another avenue to attack and it'd be a big improvement. Open up the streets behind the square and make cap zones in the buildings around it. As it would be IRL, you'd want to capture and hold the structures not sit in a killing zone.

Upvote 0
I disagree, I love the way the map entices you in with the promise of moving you spawn zone up, drawing people into the park.

A couple of rules to follow:

1) Use smoke, don't tell your SL to use smoke, SWITCH to SL and use that damn smoke.
2) Know where your threats are. There are, what, 4 places enemy snipers could be? Check the windows, the monument, the tunnel, the building side (for the Russians) and bam, that is every sniping position. Now all you need to do is kill them... for which you need to
3) Stay the F*ck down! Not just so it is harder for them to hit you, but also to stay hidden. A good player will spot by movement and silhouette. If you are prone, still and not highlighted against something (easier now because of the fog on the map) you will be fine for a good amount of time, even if not in cover. Use this time to look for enemies that would normally drop you instantly.
4) Use the tunnels! They are shortcuts to wherever you want to be, leading around almost all of the map.
5) Flank. Use the tunnels to get behind one of those four positions and keep moving once there, hopefully you will be too close to the enemy sniping positions for them to pop you, easy killing.
6) Teamwork. This comes last because it rarely happens as yet, my hints focus on staying alive but if you want to WIN, communicate. Use your flanking etc to open up areas for your team, tell them the area is open, cover the sniping positions and let them move up. Once again, the tunnels are perfect for this.

Sorry for the long post, but this map is brilliant and I find it quite depressing that people don't know how to enjoy it. Have fun out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They should make the buildings in the edges cap zones, and the middle one big cap zone. Move around the spawn points a little bit and we got a wiener.

Also the map should be a PUSH style maps. Russians cap objectives and have to push the germans back (or fliped) And the spawn points move with the objectives.

This is a pretty interesting map, think the spawn points and cap zones need some work and it will be awesome. This map along with grain elevator.

Upvote 0
The buildings around the side are capzones already, you just have to hold the square before you can take the buildings :).

The map is amazing! Me and my buddy SL go around the side through the tunnels to the russian building near their spawn. Pop smoke in front of it, run into the building and rack up insane amount of kills stabbing the russians to death with my kar98 bayonet.

Upvote 0
There's a near symmetrical style of gameplay, where A and B are on the russian side, C is right in the middle and D and E are on the german side.
The only thing that confuses me is that it's much harder to take B than it is to take D.
Probably it's to compensate that the warehouse is slightly easier to capture.

But all in all, the gameplay seems to move in a stalemate by default, but if one team starts to advance, the other team is automatically forced to advance as well, or risk losing the map. As a result there's a constant power struggle over C and D, and much less so also B.

As Allies a recommended tactic would be for the commander to arty just above D, so they can move up from the sides, while forcing the enemies to expose themselves by moving through C and D. From there you want to make sure that you use smoke infront of the univermag building in order to block any campers.

As Germans, you want to have the sniper clear the warehouse building and use the squad leader to pop some smoke in between the objectives. Capping the objective takes a lot more priority than looking to shoot some enemies, keeping your head down is the key to survival. As soon as you have C you really have to increase the pace a lot and make sure that you all go into B.
As soon as you get B, it should be fairly easy to secure A.

Reactions: nuNce
Upvote 0
Russians love to camp their building partially on this map due to the direction of the light on this map.
Accompanied with the natural fog, it gives russians quite good edge on sniping german Machine-gunners / marksmen / riflemen from their building.

Germans are unable to do this, since russians get the perfect shade on their building.

Maybe to reduce camping a bit, direction of the light has to be changed.. Make it midday maybe, so shadows would be quite non-existant but neither building would be "lit up" by the sun so sniping would become also quite tough for russians (about as tough as germans at this time). It would only even out the play field a bit.

Upvote 0
Fallen Fighters is my favourite map. Playing it as a Russian rifleman, going for the cap-zones. Sure, I'll usually only get as far as 'D' East Park, because hardly anyone else wants to get in the cap-zones, but that's not the maps' fault. On the rare times it happens, getting into the Univermag Headquarters at the end and managing to capture it is probably the most satisfying victory I've experienced in RO2.

Upvote 0
The most tankers are not much better. No one tries to shoot the main camping spots (windows) with HE grenades.
YES.

This is what I've always been saying on every combined arms map. Tankers get caught up duelling with the other tanks and they forget what they're there for: heavy fire support. Get your team to fill up the AT soldier slots and harass the enemy tanks while the friendly tanks pound fortified buildings with HE. HE on the facade of a building is the difference between capping and losing 100+ tickets to entrenched defenders.

But knowing that tankers won't listen, I just grab any empty TC position and do it myself. =/

Upvote 0
YES.

This is what I've always been saying on every combined arms map. Tankers get caught up duelling with the other tanks and they forget what they're there for: heavy fire support. Get your team to fill up the AT soldier slots and harass the enemy tanks while the friendly tanks pound fortified buildings with HE. HE on the facade of a building is the difference between capping and losing 100+ tickets to entrenched defenders.

But knowing that tankers won't listen, I just grab any empty TC position and do it myself. =/

I do that myself, I always hop in a T-34 load up HE and pummel the German buildings, it seems to help tremendously. Had a 3 round map once, Russians won 2-1 and I ended up with 100 kills.

Upvote 0
It also really isn't a hard map to move around as infantry. The snipers in the building have barely any angles on you if you keep down in areas with cover and RUN LIKE A MAD MAN through the areas without it.

Smoke helps, but is not needed.

Use the three second rule. Jump in the first bit of cover you see. Stay there at least 3 second, ideally 9+, and then sprint to the next nearest cover that you can hit in 3 seconds or less.

If you are an idiot and just run/crouch run in an attempt to sprint clear across the map, then of course you're going to get popped. You're making yourself stand out, you're giving yourself far more time to be spotted, and guess what. Guns act like guns, and they're deadly.

Upvote 0
You should be capping the tunnels, not the park itself, if you are moving around solo. As Axis, you can get into all three park cap zones without exposing yourself to much enemy fire, and force the enemy to cross the park to dislodge you. It's also easy to flank the Allies main spawn (though just as easy to get spotted by them and removed).

I don't always have the patience to play this map, but I don't see any issues with it.

Upvote 0