• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Inside Gaming Daily RO2 Review

The reviewer to me does not seem to be a very skilled gamer. This review is only realistic from an FPS beginner's perspective. Some of his complaints seem entirely counter to what the game is to me. I don't think the controls are clunky or "too complicated", if anything it might be a little too easy to move and shoot for the sake of immersion. I also don't think the animation is jerky at all, I think it is some of the best I've ever seen in a multiplayer game. Maybe it is newbie speak for "choppy frame rate"?

At first I thought I had read this review earlier but this is actually a new one where the reviewer claims to be familiar with realistic games and mentions Day of Defeat as an example...

Upvote 0
Yeah, what a fun review and its sad seeing how the TWI forums have gotten "TWC review syndrome" where the only 'honest' reviews are the negative ones...
Well I dont believe the big gamingsites that give RO2 a 9 or 8 next to RO2 adverts are really independent.
A 5 or 6 from the smaller and/or lesser-anglobased gamingsites is a more realistic grade for this game. Maybe a 7. Not more than that frankly at the moment.
It gives those sites more credit. But that's my opinion all in all.

Upvote 0
Well I dont believe the big gamingsites that give RO2 a 9 or 8 next to RO2 adverts are really independent.
A 5 or 6 from the smaller and/or lesser-anglobased gamingsites is a more realistic grade for this game. Maybe a 7. Not more than that frankly at the moment.

this game is way more than a 7

Upvote 0
How does that work? A review is someone opinion and if its different from your its wrong? People take reviews far too much to heart (and metacritic, people like using metacrtic even though they dont know how it works) and look at the score too much, I mean what if they played RO2 and never came across any bad bugs, should they mark it down because others did? All reviews are just opinions and cannot be wrong, they can have factually errors but its still an opinion...

Upvote 0
How does that work? A review is someone opinion and if its different from your its wrong? People take reviews far too much to heart (and metacritic, people like using metacrtic even though they dont know how it works) and look at the score too much, I mean what if they played RO2 and never came across any bad bugs, should they mark it down because others did? All reviews are just opinions and cannot be wrong, they can have factually errors but its still an opinion...
That's not how reviewing works. An honest good reviewer takes his own opinion out of the equation and reviews a game objectivly instead of saying: "I don't like it so it sucks"

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
That's not how reviewing works. An honest good reviewer takes his own opinion out of the equation and reviews a game objectivly instead of saying: "I don't like it so it sucks"
Its a human making a review, even the good one have some degree of bias and define "honest"? Were these guys being 'dishonest' in this infamous review:
http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/34809/red-orchestra-ostfront-41-45/review/
As sad as it is, it reflects on how many people felt about the game at the time.

Also the best reviewers are the biased ones, even though he has trashed nearly every game that I love I still watch Yatzee even though he is a scrub at gaming...

Upvote 0
With honest I ment honest to itself as in keeping his preferences seperated from the facts, innovations, ... of the title, that's the very simple and sole job of a reviewer.

I don't trust reviewers for **** anymore tho, probably because lots of them think just like u and implement to much of their own "opinions" in their reviews (don't take this in bad way btw, just my opinion :p ). I'm not going to disagree that there still are a couple of good reviewers out there, but sadly lots of them (and this are mostly the sites themselves) are either payed by the gamepubs/devs to up the scores or they are either incompetent as hell which in turn makes them unable to write an objective review.

Upvote 0
Terrible review. Laughable, even. An unfavorable review based on opinions and real issues is one thing.

All reviews are just opinions and cannot be wrong, they can have factually errors but its still an opinion...

The opinion itself, if based on preference and taste, can't be wrong; but the use of faulty observations and outright mistruths to support one's opinions can be wrong.

I don't begrudge this reviewer having an unfavorable opinion of the game.

But when he says things like "everyone snaps up all the sniper classes and camps out overlooking the main paths of travel down the map." to describe the average territory match, he's so full of bullcrap. Uh, yea, so "everyone" snaps up "all" 1 or 2 of the sniper slots, OMG!!! it's such a sniper FEST!

Or when he writes: "Pop-ups during gameplay will tell you if you have leveled up during a match, but it doesn

Upvote 0
"First, I have the utmost respect for mod teams that move on to make full games. I feel there’s no greater measure of talent and perseverance than to cross that finish line on your first game"
Well theres a factuality error right there, he may be talking about RO1 but he doesnt make it clear. And I'd hardly call $40 a "surprisingly high price." People these days do tend to put too much faith in reviews, especially considering they are effectively the reviewers own experiences and opinions, I mean they're game reviews and everyone has different opinions on games.
Well you can't really say that "I’ve rarely had less fun playing a game than with Red Orchestra 2" isnt subjective.

"everyone snaps up all the sniper classes and camps out overlooking the main paths of travel down the map."
And here everyones sayine the game has too much run&gun. One sniper class per team is very limited especially when compared to most other modern games where half of the players are 'uber l33t snip0rz'

"There’s a laundry list of other problems: kills take three-to-four seconds to show up in the kill list (which causes you to second guess if you hit anyone or not)"
I think he missed the point. Personally I, and I'm guessing a lot of people here like that feature.

"The first of many problems is that there are simply too many states to toggle."
And that's pretty much were I stopped reading, anything more than standing or crouching is consider too complicated, piss off.

Not before I read this though:
"That’s four buttons in sequence you have to hit to aim optimally, and four MORE you have to hit just to return to a basic stance. Say you’re hunkered in cover and a grenade drops at your feet — you can’t just bolt out of there, which is just absurd"
Actually it's really a lot easier; click RMB to stop aiming and just move away form the wall, something I find to be very easy and fluid.

"Second, I personally have enjoyed many ultra realistic shooters. I spent hours with Day of Defeat"
And that :confused: I don't even know what to say about that.

Edit:
Or..."Aiming over cover is a huge hassle as well, as the game attempts to dynamically shift your gun around uneven objects. That’s fine, except the gun will move drastically and create entire blind spots."
I'm really glad I stopped before I got to that point, I think it's one of the best features in the game.

Some reviewers really need to have their brains reviewed, or even better; removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to point out, I was NOT defending this review which has several errors but point out that in far too many communities only negative reviews are the "honest" ones and not the positive ones because they were "bought off". If you ever been on the TWC or pretty much any game forum you have seen what I mean. Like I would love to do post to a post on why people really need to look at the data of metacritic before the score but that could count as cross posting...

Its fine for a reviewer to have a bias, like I love Roger Ebert but did write this about one of my favorite movies:
There is a book named 'From Caligari to Hitler' that tries to penetrate the German national subconscious by analyzing German films between 1919 and the rise of the Nazis. I have my doubts about the critical approach (it gets cause and effect backwards), but if anybody is writing a book about the rise of fascism in America, they ought to have a look at "Dirty Harry." The film is directed by Don Siegel, and like "Coogan's Bluff" it considers the role of a cop in society with lots of dynamite action and enough wry cynicism to keep the blood from getting too thick.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19710101/REVIEWS/101010307/1023
Dont agree with him one bit but I still like him...

Upvote 0