• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code [Help] Custom Characters In Menu

Update to show your baby in action KF-Argentina!

<a href="http://www.fluxiserver.co.uk/files/KFCCAlien.mp4" target="_blank">http://www.fluxiserver.co.uk/files/KFCCAlien.mp4

I really do apologise for it having to be downloaded BUT xfire is being a pain and wont upload...thought i'd let you know how awesome this mutator can really be once ready :p

All props go to KF-Argentina for model/animations/textures.

Upvote 0
LOL yeh man, kids have been back a while. Just haven't had any KF stuff on my pc for the past month or so, had to restart it when my HD went belly up.

Hopefully any obstacles can be over come with this mod and the dlc stuff can be omitted so it doesn't step on TWI's toes but otherwise, this is really shaping up to be one kick *** mod.

ps

@Flux

If I make a scene setup in 3DS Max for you, so all you have to do is add your character and press 'Render' would that help with the portrait issue?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Braindead:
Thanks for the offer but I have found a work around getting the portraits for my own. What I do is open UnrealEd (KFEd) > Animations. I then pick the model of the character I need and change the texture if I have to. Once there I then choose the "Passenger" animation so I get a clear print screen and edit the print screen from there. Isn't perfect but it does a decent job nethertheless.

@All:
Right I am just finishing up my serverperks version with this implemented and I will start on the standalone version which will have the same thing (but obviously leaving everything locked as it should be). I have thought about it recently but I can see there being flaws already...I have to alter the menu so it works and as you know ServerPerks uses a custom menu. Quite a few mods may use a custom menu so im a little worried that my menu will not be able to stay accessible through every mod you sorta through at it. I do promise to make a standalone mutator hopefully within the next two weeks maximum I would of thought unless any urgent changes are needed. I will release this to you all if anyone is worried about this as I know pretty much anyone would like to have this option. I may ask for help on how to do mutator/mod checks to enable ways round them if I do have the menu problem.

I'll update everyone when I can ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry to disappoint you but all of a sudden the menu doesn't add characters to it but only works in single player. Im now stuck with the multiplayer side...sorry.

So far it looks like if I have the .upl in my folder then I can see the character in the menu but other then that it wont do anything. With the .upl in your system folder, it allows you to be the character but not sure if others see it. If anyone wants to help out, be my guess but this has really pee'd me off after all this time as i've been working 4 weeks on this...

Upvote 0
Sorry to disappoint you but all of a sudden the menu doesn't add characters to it but only works in single player. Im now stuck with the multiplayer side...sorry.

So far it looks like if I have the .upl in my folder then I can see the character in the menu but other then that it wont do anything. With the .upl in your system folder, it allows you to be the character but not sure if others see it. If anyone wants to help out, be my guess but this has really pee'd me off after all this time as i've been working 4 weeks on this...

1- Did you replace the mutator adding it on the Engine at the killingfloor.ini so that replaces the default?

2- In case you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the case is that you cannot select the custom characters without having the upl file present, then it's no big problem because you can leave a note with the install log, suggesting to server owners to have a message displayed in game, directing players to either come here or your site to download the original upl files.

Players will still be able to see you as the custom character because they will automatically download the ukx/utx packages via the cache, they just wont be able to select them via the selection screen.

Not unless Marco knows a way of replicating the upl files to the client?

But as said, it's no big issue because it will at least bring more traffic here or to your site :)

Tip - try running a server from a separate folder to you original KF install and don't have the upl file in your original KF system folder. Run marco's bot mut and see if you chaarcter can be seen, although you won't be able to select him, you will still see him as a player. Also, this will check to see if upl files are downloaded to the client, but I doubt that happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys I just want to say it's nice to have such support for something that has bugged me for weeks and I thought I got there...I may have but not to how exactly I wanted it.

If the case is that you cannot select the custom characters without having the upl file present, then it's no big problem because you can leave a note with the install log, suggesting to server owners to have a message displayed in game, directing players to either come here or your site to download the original upl files.

Players will still be able to see you as the custom character because they will automatically download the ukx/utx packages via the cache, they just wont be able to select them via the selection screen.

Not unless Marco knows a way of replicating the upl files to the client?

But as said, it's no big issue because it will at least bring more traffic here or to your site :)

Tip - try running a server from a separate folder to you original KF install and don't have the upl file in your original KF system folder. Run marco's bot mut and see if you chaarcter can be seen, although you won't be able to select him, you will still see him as a player. Also, this will check to see if upl files are downloaded to the client, but I doubt that happens.

I had spoke to Marco to see if he knew a way of replicating the .upl files but he gave one bit of advice "if UnrealEd can't read it, it can't be replicated". I also had this idea myself.

I will have to do a test to see if your plan worked Braindead (which now that I think about it, it probably will) as i've played all the Unreal Series and they have this thing, you need the files to be able to USE the character but can still be seen if the server has the files.

I'll report my findings as soon as possible.

EDIT:
Right I tried the above and had no luck but I did notice in the log it tried to load them as it kept warning "can't find xweapons.rocketlauncher". I also noticed when they was rambling on, the portrait of theirs was pure black. Once I noticed this all, I thought i'd put the .upl in my KF and try it. I can only see the Trader (which was on of my characters) inside the menu. I then looked at the bots again and noticed one of them was the Zoey character. It seems like my mutator isn't actually allowing everyone to see the characters afterall.

In short: Custom characters are only shown IF you have the .upl file. Other then that it will replace them with a random default character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmm the main problem I see there is the bots mut does pick random characters, this is where having someone help you by joining the server helps.
You then get to test everything with a live player.
I have thought of this but haven't had the people on when I was testing this. I must grab a player (DCC) or so in my community for all of this. It's silly how only the characters that are from the TWI files are shown (trader) in the menu. Braindead I might take up your help if you still are willing (aswell as Gartley too if you want) to see if we can crack this. I'll see about compiling a quick small mutator of all my work so far without the use of serverperks and i'll send you two the files (once told if you want them). We can easily get this working BUT we just need a few tweaks I think. I have tried comparing to UT2004 files and they pretty much the same.

Im having a break at the moment as it's stressed me out lol.

Upvote 0
I have thought of this but haven't had the people on when I was testing this. I must grab a player (DCC) or so in my community for all of this. It's silly how only the characters that are from the TWI files are shown (trader) in the menu. Braindead I might take up your help if you still are willing (aswell as Gartley too if you want) to see if we can crack this. I'll see about compiling a quick small mutator of all my work so far without the use of serverperks and i'll send you two the files (once told if you want them). We can easily get this working BUT we just need a few tweaks I think. I have tried comparing to UT2004 files and they pretty much the same.

Im having a break at the moment as it's stressed me out lol.

Willing and able to help. It would also work better for me as I have a clean and fresh install of KF without all of the gumf I had before, just let me know when you are ready :)

Upvote 0
Also, remember to take time to sit back from time to time, don't burn yourself out. I know what that can be like when working on code and I bet BD would agree. :)
I can agree but when I have given myself a deadline and things pop up...you tend to do it anyway whether you know not to. Im working all day today and I got a 06:00 shift tomorrow so give me two ish days and i'll compile a seperate mutator for this all. I'll also give you the SWAT character I got ready so you can test it with this too.

Reactions: braindead
Upvote 0