• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Attach/detach bayonet

Tr00per Buzzdee

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I already miss being able to attach/detach the lovely bayonet :(

Not sure if the accuracy of the weapon changes like in DH, but I really liked having to decide if attaching it makes sense (close combat/urban area) or I should stick with a bit more accuracy (open field area).

Just having it on the weapon with the unlock isn't as great (IMHO).
Although an option for having it attached on spawn or not, would be nice.

The "alt weapon function key" would be great for this feature, not? ;)

How do you guys think about it, especially those who played RO1?

Of course there are much bigger problems at the moment, but still, this is an important point for me.

Ever since I saw the "Weapon alternate function" key in the beta, I had a really strong feeling that it was going to be an optional "push key to equip bayonet" type of deal. I'm kind of disappointed with how it is presently (perma-attached) primarily because of two reasons: The first is because the bayonet extends the visible length of the rifle and when clearing rooms, firing from behind cover, or firing out of windows it provides the enemy with even more visual information on whether it's just a cluster of pixels, or if it is an enemy player's rifle sticking out.

The second reason is more nostalgic from RO:Ostfront 41-44 and by this I mean the beloved bayonet charges that happened periodically. Usually you kept the bayonet off your rifle for more accuracy, but as you and your teammates got into close combat, it was amazing how everyone always seemed to fix bayonets and charge into a cap zone or building to clear it out when the mood was right. There've been times where I was hiding outside of a building with 5 teammates, most with bolt-action rifles, and we knew we needed to clear out the place room by room- only instead of everyone fixing their bayonets preparing for the thrill of CQC, they already have their bayonets fixed and it feels somewhat lifeless for me.

Reactions: MrGoat
Upvote 0