• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MadnessMut

Great suggestion, very original, however I didn't really understand what you were trying to say in the first part.

I didn't think I'd see this old thread back, but I love the idea, so thanks:p

The very first part was referring to another old thread that used to be on the front page; nowadays, of course, that thread is deeply buried, but before it was all about using a program to randomly switch properties and skins of specimen to really make the game insane:D

As for the part after that, Im talking about how these listed things would be activated; I wanted to gather some more ideas and talk about which would be more effective.

You could have a "sanity bar", which would cause more effects to occur as it goes down (this could be on the HUD, or it could be totally unknown by the player, and you would just have to jude by the effects. Personally, I prefer the latter, if either, as you wouldn't know if you were going insane, or what you were seeing was something else.)

Another idea could be that all the players would start off "insane" (or perhaps just some, and you would have to guess;)), and each player would get random effects occuring. These would not be the same for each player, as that might defeat the point.

Altogether, this would also make the game a lot more varied; getting different combinations of effects each time, not to mention the other teammate's effects and reactions, could be really awesome.

And, of course, I was asking what of this is possible in the engine, and what would be realistically implemented or made.:D

Lol... TF2's paranoia all over again.
"Dude stop shooting me!"
"Sorry I thought you were a Specimen."
"Specimen disguised as me!"

I like it.

Upvote 0
The textures of pentagrams and stuff reminds me so much of Doom 3, which is truly scary. The other game that has a sanity bar that is relatively unheard of is called the Suffereing. That was the scariest game I've ever played. Bloody awesome though.

The sound is the most feasible of these ideas and zeds appearing out the corner of your vision but actually turning to have a full look and not being there is another great idea, but a lot of it is too hard to implement. I really don't like the idea of the players going invisible or zeds looking like players and all that stuff with the health because that immediatly makes the medic panicky and useless. That would be a far too negative affect on gameplay.

But yeah, all in all more horror would be welcome especially in this possible campaign. Would the campaign be multiplayer as well?

I love the sanity bar, would be sweet.

Upvote 0
Not sure why I've never noticed this thread before, but it's an awesome idea. I'd love to give it a go when I have some free time.

it's pretty old, and got drowned in "New Firebug weaponz n0w" threads, so I'm not surprised. However, if you need any help with any of it, feel free to ask (if you go through with it, of course:D)

Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
Jesus, I couldn't even get more than 3 hours into Amnesia before deciding I'm too much of a pansy for it.

'Fake' zeds would be awesome though. Hearing the occasional siren cry whenever you enter or leave a room, stalkers giggling, a fleshpound enraging with a little screen screw, only to disappear when he's about to maul you, etc.

Upvote 0
If I may say so, the hallucination/madness effect gives me a pretty damn good idea of how a different multiplayer game could be like.

I'm not quite catching the meaning here...are you implieing another game with this, or a totally new, theoretical co-op survival game with this as a key feature?

Upvote 0
Sounds good to me but please don't go overboard with 'scary effects'
No pentagrams and stuff like this please. Here few things I'd like to see and can be implemented with ease. I think.

• Drastically increased Specimen health
  • No more bleeding out. Headless Specimen stumble towards you till you finish them off.
  • Viewshake when nearby Fleshpound begins raging.
  • Motionblur when in fear.
  • Muffled sound when in fear. (make use of EAX)
  • Fake Specimen 'voices' in your head when in fear.
  • Intentional mouse lag when in fear.
  • Maybe inverted mouse movement when in fear ?

Upvote 0
Probably not inverted mouse because that would just annoy people. You'd get too many people raging at the fact that their mouse was stuffing up and all that rubbish.
Personally, a madness mutator would be really good if it could be made, but it would have to include a lot of things, it would probably be the most complex mutator I've seen. But yeah, mouse inversion isn't so much freakt as frustrating.

Upvote 0
Sounds good to me but please don't go overboard with 'scary effects'
No pentagrams and stuff like this please. Here few things I'd like to see and can be implemented with ease. I think.

• Drastically increased Specimen health
  • No more bleeding out. Headless Specimen stumble towards you till you finish them off.
  • Viewshake when nearby Fleshpound begins raging.
  • Motionblur when in fear.
  • Muffled sound when in fear. (make use of EAX)
  • Fake Specimen 'voices' in your head when in fear.
  • Intentional mouse lag when in fear.
  • Maybe inverted mouse movement when in fear ?

aye, the map changes were a bit overboard...but drastically increased zed health is not quite what I was going for. I mean, I get why you suggested it, but the whole point was that your character is hallucinating, not that zeds are becoming superpowered. Of course, I wouldn't mind it being combined with it, but I was sort of going for more of something where it feels like the game (or your head) is messing with you, specifically messing with your visuals, controls, and sounds.

Also, I was going for more of something where each player sees different things, so perhaps putting an emphasis on communication and teamwork; if you can't tell what is real and what is not, suddenly your team has to rely on each other. And if your alone...well good luck ;)

(however, that decap idea is brilliant; I dont know if that would work with this, but it is an awesome idea nonetheless)

Upvote 0
Screamers. When you are playing a screamer will randomly leap at your face. I don't mean Sirens either, those things on you tube if you don't know what I'm talking about. I'll post a couple of links.

YouTube - Stickman Screamer[/URL]

That one is alright, i don't really watch them, but it is the idea that you need, maye not as loud or something, and it shouldn't fill up the whole screen. What do you think, would certainly get the heart pumping. :D

By the way, don't know why two videos showed up, there should only be one... ?

Upvote 0
I'm not quite catching the meaning here...are you implieing another game with this, or a totally new, theoretical co-op survival game with this as a key feature?

Both, more or less. Imagine games like zombie panic when you get infected, your health bar simply declines - it's crap. Imagine this being changed in a way that holds Resident Evil: Outbreak's infection system - it doesn't affect your health at all, but it builds up eventually to the point where it hits "100%" and you collapse, then come back as a zombie.

A co-op survival zombie game could use the RE:O method, coupled with the previously described effects of hallucination, seeing zombies that aren't there, seeing characters and zombies swap places, etc. Being infected has minor effects, such as hearing things that sound as if they're in an adjacent room heading to the heavily infected point, which makes you likely to hallucinate and shoot teammates because in your hallucinating state, you see them as zombies, or you could see a zombie as a teammate and you don't shoot him, thinking he's a friend, and he then eats you.

It could create an amazing and even dramatic effect in-game where you see other players' behaviour changing in unusual, to shocking ways, all affecting the other players' descision to shoot them or not (they can end the "level" all alive and count as a win, or find a "cure" in the map). It's up to the infected player to try as hard as s/he can to maintain a cool head (e.g. hoping the monster goes away, which it may do since in the "sane" frame of mind, the "monster" is a teammate) and also try not to respond to the hallucinations, like following sounds/objects that don't exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0