• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom explanation

The short version is that human visual acuity can not be reproduced on current video hardware. Reducing the field of view lets you draw a smaller space with more pixels, bringing the display closer to what an accurate representation would be. Making it easier to hit "distant" targets is entirely the purpose. If you can't even see your target at what should be an easy range for a rifle, then you have to adjust the weapon handling and ballistics in all sorts of weird ways to try to approximate real-world results with the artificial limitations you're forced to work under.

Interesting trivia: if you run the math on it, getting to proper average eyesight on the typical HD monitor these days would require a zoom about three times stronger than what the game maxes out at.

Upvote 0
Oh, this again... I find it rather funny that people rage against "the zoom" in terms of realism, since having it is, by far, more realistic than not having it... Also better gameplaywise, in my opinion. Nice to see (judging by this thread, so far), though, that the knowledge is spreading and arguments are more of arguments than just just who can shout the loudest.

Upvote 0
Kleist said:
Everybody who is sprinting is an idiot, everybody who is lieing arround and waiting for a enemy (using the zoom) is superior.
It depends on the situation. Smoke, covering fire, multiple people moving at once, smart use of cover, artillery and tank support are all here to make running man less of a target. Staying the whole time in the same place will in the end get you killed one way or the other.

Kleist said:
- The zoom make the sniper class nearly useless and say: "welcome camper, enjoy your stay here"
Marksmen have their uses. On the NCO Barrack we've got trouble with a couple of Germans occupying Foxtrot 4 - they were able to shoot down people going from A to C. When I selected marksman class (someone on our team left the game) it took me about ten seconds to kill all sharpshooters there thanks to the scope Soviet's Mosin has on it. Scope helps to kill targets at very long distance or in good cover (when you can see only parts of the body, like head, hand, leg which makes distant targets even smaller). Sometimes it can help you to recognize the enemy hidding in dark and gloomy area, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnMan01
Upvote 0
I've posted this type of explanation before on a few threads but can't find them to quote so I'll try to explain again.

The concern is in game, when you look or aim, a player can "zoom" in and bring the center of the screen closer.

Picture a globe (or better yet go find one and look at it), of the Earth, all the land masses in mostly correct scale to each other.

Now, picture the standard paper/book atlas map of the world where Europe is put at the center or North America is the center; standard mercator projection. You will notice that the 3D globe of the Earth has been cut and stretched to fit a 2D rectangular surface.

The result, the edges are stretched to fit, and places like Greenland and Antarctica are HUGELY larger than they really are.

NOW, shift back to the game (any video game), and think of your vision as a 3D field of view. You can see in roughly a half sphere in 3D, from the inside. How can a game program represent that on a 2D computer monitor?

It stretches the edges of the vision field just like the edges of the map in the atlas are stretched to include everything without cut out broken parts. So, the CENTER of your screen is actually much LESS magnified than the edges so the scale is off.

In a game where realistic vision is supposed to be represented, that center of the vision sphere is capable of being magnified, to "stretch" it to the correct scale, like a fisheye lens putting tiny Florida back into the correct scale side by side with MASSIVE Greenland on the Atlas map.

The zooom has to be there. The only alternative would be to shrink the edges of the map to keep a realistic scale, which would end up with us looking at the screen like an actual fisheye lens, big in the middle and distorted and shrinking towards the outside.

This is why the zoom feature is there in games and should be in this game.

Upvote 0
I wouldnt say it is 100% more, if that was the case it would be like 50x10 optics. Zoom is more of a narrow steady focus on the sights. I dont always use it since it hinders your peripheral and very dangerous to use in buildings and close quarters. I only use it for long ranges.

The hinderance of peripheral shouldn't be an issue if they would re-allow field of zoom. Right now the field of view is artificially narrow, about the same as if you were looking through the box of a 6 pack of beer. Real human vision should be on average 165 degrees.
If the accurate peripheral vision were represented, then the center zoom would have to be much higher as well.
Our focal point in vision is clear, the peripheral vision fades from attention and clarity, yet in games it remains in perfect, clear focus at a much higher magnification than in real life.
The zoom should be far higher than it is now to be realistic.

Upvote 0
something about how its realistic, to cybernetically zoom into the screen. I still dont see it.

i personally dont like it, as it is destructive to the pace of the game. I'm all for realism, but it has to end somewhere, and people need to realize this is a game.

if you want a realistic peripheral vision, buy 6 monitors and use eyefinity. or better yet, grab a toy gun and go play outside.

soon we'll have people complaining that using a mouse is not realistic, and you have to hold it up to your shoulder as you play like a buttstock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It makes it so someone who is standing across a football field doesn't look like a boat on the edge of the horizon.

However, because it would limit your field of view they choose to have two modes of vision - full peripheral and full focus. This is a much better system than CoD (constantly zoomed in with very limited FoV)... but I personally preferred Ostfront's system (constantly zoomed out making 200m shots very difficult). The current system is the most logical on paper, but in game it's really quite ridiculous and does seem like you've got an invisible scope on the gun.

Upvote 0
Nazarov said:
So you're telling me you have additional zoom to that of the zoom when you toggle ironsight? What the heck?
When you press right mouse button to ADS you've first zoom. When you press left Shift while ADS you zoom a bit more plus you control your breath and make your aim steady.

GRIZZLY said:
The current system is the most logical on paper, but in game it's really quite ridiculous and does seem like you've got an invisible scope on the gun.
Because maps are small and as the effect they create feeling that "zoom system" is too big and should be removed. With bigger maps problem will be solved on its own.

Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0