• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

November 21st Update Notes

Well, I don't know how much of it was my CPU/Motherboard upgrade (AMD Phenom II [email protected] -> Intel Core [email protected]) and how much of it was the tweaks to the game in the update, but the game now runs MUCH better for me.

The CPU upgrade took me from constantly dipping down to the low 30's and even sometimes hitting the 20s FPS-wise, to now rarely dipping under 60FPS, and usually staying in the 70-90FPS range.

IMHO, no first person shooter plays well under 60FPS.

Even at the highest settings (2560x1600, everything set to highest settings) I still don't get 100% GPU utilization, which is odd/unusual, and suggests that there is some room for improvement by optimizing for multithreaded performance (and going to a DX11 based engine), but this is a clear and huge improvement.

Upvote 0
So, will you be footing the bill for everyone to get brand spanking new hardware? Not everyone is able to buy the latest and greatest computer parts you know!

No need to get the greatest. ~$110 to $150 Mid range video cards are great, as long as you don't expect to get more than about a year out of them before upgrading, and don't play at high resolutions or with all the eye candy on.

All I am saying is that it seems a bit silly to expect a late 2011 game to run well on an early 2007 mid-range computer, mostly equivalent to a mid 2004 high end computer...

Heck, in 2004, floppy drives had only very recently stopped being offered as standard equipment by major computer OEM's..

That's like me expecting to still be using my current machine for games in early 2019... :rolleyes:

If you want that kind of hardware longevity, consoles are probably for you.

PC gaming is a constant race to produce the best graphics on the latest hardware. If you like being stuck in 2005/2006 on geriatric hardware with mediocre outdated graphics and still be able to play all the latest games, a PS3 or Xbox 360 are really for you.

Reactions: M55ikael
Upvote 0
He's not wrong tho.
PC evolve, that's their thing, and every PC users knows this. Some see this as a good thing because that means that the software will be evolving aswell unlike on a console where there might be some improvements with different tweaks&techniques but the games essentially look very similar to each other since the hardware is being maxed out.
But we're not going on that trail :p I can just say that an 8800GT card is simply a bad card.
I can't even remember how long it's been since I had my 8800GTS (which is an even better version than yours and even that card was rendered nearly useless 3? years ago when I replaced it with a HD4870X2... which has been replaced aswell ;) )

Upvote 0
I can't even remember how long it's been since I had my 8800GTS (which is an even better version than yours and even that card was rendered nearly useless 3? years ago when I replaced it with a HD4870X2... which has been replaced aswell ;) )

Not to mention he was talking about an 8600GT. Not a bad card when first launched (probably similarly mid ranged to a GTX460 today) but its really amazing to me that anyone's still using it to try to run modern games.

I'm all for trying to make your hardware last, but the 8600GT is beyond obsolete for gaming these days, and criticizing a developer because their game doesn't run smoothly on it is like complaining to the builders of the highway that your Model T Ford can't get up to speed fast enough on the on ramp.

Last edited:
Reactions: M55ikael
Upvote 0
Well, I don't know how much of it was my CPU/Motherboard upgrade (AMD Phenom II [email protected] -> Intel Core [email protected]) and how much of it was the tweaks to the game in the update, but the game now runs MUCH better for me.

The CPU upgrade took me from constantly dipping down to the low 30's and even sometimes hitting the 20s FPS-wise, to now rarely dipping under 60FPS, and usually staying in the 70-90FPS range.

IMHO, no first person shooter plays well under 60FPS.

Even at the highest settings (2560x1600, everything set to highest settings) I still don't get 100% GPU utilization, which is odd/unusual, and suggests that there is some room for improvement by optimizing for multithreaded performance (and going to a DX11 based engine), but this is a clear and huge improvement.
bud look at my spec sig and i get 50-100fps settings on 85% ultra 15% high 1650x1080

Upvote 0