• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop harshing on noobs!

For the year i have been playing RO i have found there is a higher level of maturity in the game than say (DODS), people get annoyed and it's human nature to make mistakes online or offline.
I havn't yet seen any seriouse bashing of the new players have allways seen open arms welcome that's wat makes me enjoy the game so much.

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the help I have gotten from certain RO vets while playing/learning on the TWB servers.

I love this game! Now if I could just learn to keep my head down!

I'm glad you found on servers and their environment pleasant and helpful, Boyar, I hope to see you on the server tonight :).

Anyways, I've noticed the higher levels of noobs myself. I think the only problem with them isn't the direct TK, but how they try to avenge TK's accidentally done unto them by finding you and then killing you over and over. I know I help out new players when I see them, as should any experienced player, but what should be a pop-up in the beginning simply is the TK system and how the "np" works, or how not saying that is vengeance enough.

I remember when I got RO it was a massive, confusing thing. Difficult to get the hang of. There is no high skill curve, RO is a good equalizer. If you've played any other shooter, after a few hours, you're likely to be shooting as well as the most experienced player if you're a good shot in general. But the tough thing to learn is what to do. Generally that takes a long time because there are allot of maps and you're not likely to learn them until you've played them a few times. You have to be more patient with strategy. I have no trouble loosing a round as long as I have fun playing the game. For me, and new players I assume, its a turn off when experienced players, or any player for that matter nag them to follow strategy that doesn't make much sense right off the bat. Go for the cap zone works, but other than that, calm down and save that for when its just you and your friends (or if the server is responding well at the time to more complex strategy).

I'd say for you strategy "whores" out there, accept that it is a game, and sometimes you should just have fun and bench your complex battle schemes for a little while. Guide the new players to the general flow of the map and if they should assault left or right, but keep it simple. That'll get the new players off to a good start. And if you guys win, they might be responsive to some of the more in-depth strategies you've been dying to try.

If the problem is random TK'ing, you'd better hope an admin is online :p. In terms of TK, I just follow a simple guide line. If its a mistake, forgive right away, if you're not sure and they say sorry, forgive again, and if they're being asshats, don't forgive and find an admin. Doesn't matter if they're new, TK'ing on purpose should never be done.

Reactions: hekuball
Upvote 0
I've never played RO before this incarnation and when I first started playing, it was a cultures shock.
Running and gunning CoD style got me murdered. My errant grenades got my team murdered more often than the enemy (sorry everyone I grenaded lol), but as I started to get better, I noticed that more often than not, is was the newer guys who were the ones that were abusing the more experienced ones.

For example if someone came onto the mic to say, 'need help in B' or 'we're losing the cap', they'd be rounded upon by the 'stfu man' crowd.

So, while I agree in principle with go easy on the Noobs (I know how overwhelmed I was at first), I don't think it's fair to blame to people who've been playing for longer, sometimes the noobs import their 'hostile mentality' from their last game of choice.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately this tends to happen to virtually every game once its less hardcore players have left. Some games are afflicted to a worse degree than others though.

Ironically, the absolute worst example of this attitude I've ever seen was Left 4 Dead 1. The game was great fun when it was first released and the main fun was in the competitive mode. All that fun came from the unpredictability and the fact that inevitably a mistake from somebody on your team would result in total chaos breaking out. The game is built around making mistakes fun.

However as the player base dwindled it became harder and harder to have this type of game. Now if you join a game of left 4 dead you'll be lucky if you don't get kicked within 30 seconds of joining. If by some miracle the "pro players" on your team don't decide to kick you because they don't like your name, you are guaranteed to get kicked on the first perceived "mistake" that you make. Often your kickable offense is actually just not saving any given player from themselves. If they don't get you about 60% of the remaining playerbase last I checked tends to berate you verbally for your entire playing time. Even if you survive all the kick votes, it ends up not mattering anyway as 95% of the remaining playerbase is incapable of playing more than 10 minutes without ragequitting.

Luckily, Ro is not nearly that bad.

Upvote 0
I hate to say this but i have noticed this behavior a lot on the 360, which is why it now collects dust. Just understand this. When i teamkill it is accidental, and i always say **** when it happens. I am just new. In the heat of battle it is easy to mistake someone for the enemy.

Of course taking the extra split second to make sure usually gets me killed.

In any case if i do TK i will say sorry about it.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
I'm new as well (as you might expect from my previous thread), but what I usually do is just go behind the others and watch my fire when I get enemies in close quarters. Either way, to be completley fair, I find guys being quite douchey in DH I just try to play my best and keep my mouth shut. By looking on a map and spectate for 5 minutes I do get to understand the best strategy, as I always tended to do in hard FPS (inside the buildings in Zhitomir I believe it's the map's name tends to be another story :rolleyes:), but I honestly feel it's not the best way to learn on such a strategic game.

Upvote 0
I suspect you are raging on behalf of what's going on with RO2.
Like I mentioned, majority of the people I encountered in RO1 was very helpful and friendly. It's just recently that more of these unpleasant personalities showed up.

It always happens, look at the Battlefield community, one of the most reknown by maturity looking like trolls after BF3 is announced. What gets to happen are random gamers that start to troll newcomers as if they were vets. In my shown example, guys were like "I'm a vet since BF1942 bla bla..." while their profile clearly shows only one or two confirmed purchases from the franchises. People like to run their mouths at the less favorable moments. :mad:

Upvote 0
2008 called, they want their thread back. ;)

Really never has been a "Training server". Just hop into practice mode for a few min to play around with things and then hop into most populated server. Pick what ever infantry class you want(Save maybe for squad leader or Engineer/PRTD due to learning curve or accidental teamkill potential; get used to the game first). If you tk someone by accident and they get mad, oh well, nothing you can do about it except say sorry and try to not tk.

Upvote 0
Is it only me.. that more or less never have encountered these bad people?

I have played ro ost a lot and I haven't really experienced that attitude that was mentioned by the OP. I have met helpfull and nice people a part from some nasty teamkillers. But in overall it's all good. In RO2 I am not quite sure. It was a long time since I played it and when I played it a barely communicated with anyone but I didn't really notice any insults or stuff either. I think. But maybe I am wrong since i've only played 20h just after release.

Upvote 0